Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Very Bad Graphics

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Mutilator, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I'd highly recommend checking out Ultima V: Lazarus also. It was a group of independent developers that used the Dungeon Siege engine to create a "from the ground up" remake of Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny. It was awesome! Since its more or less a huge Dungeon Siege mod, you need a copy of that to play it. Lazarus is a free download though.

2. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

Not sure it will fill the same anymore since we been spoiled now with todays tech. The story is good yes still very good, and worth a play through, but wont be the same now as it was seeing it back then before todays tech spoiled us. I member seeing the 3d graphics because there were not any that had this level of 3d back then in Uo9 and thinking and saying out loud over and over "WOW!!" My ex wife back then who wasn't a game even was amazed at the game and sat there to watch me play for hours because it was so nice.

By Tor likes this.
  3. Jamet

Jamet Avatar

:) Do it. The only problem I see is that each single one is worth so many days of playtime, it'll be very difficult to pull yourself away from one just to start another. It's like a guilty pleasure. You keep hanging on, wishing there was more, walk old paths and keep finding little details or traces you left behind. This is something am actually looking forward to, for Shroud Singleplayer-Multiverse influenced. You will keep finding things in places you *have* been too.

It'll feel lived in because it actually has been. :)

By Tor likes this.
  4. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

Actually I got hooked on Ultima from Ultima 8, I also played UO on release for 5-6 years, and I still randomly revisit it for the simply awesome game play, why else would I be a backer? Now you need to stop assuming things about my taste in graphics, I've played alot of the different MMOs from release and I understand that MMOs cant have cutting edge graphics as well. Looking at this objectively and understanding how the whole alpha and beta stages work, I can comfortably still say that character models and a lot of textures are very sub par. Right now these graphics are below a PS2, hence the N64 reference. They sit in a area between those two platform technologies, which is not a good sign. I cant advertise this game to my guild because it looks very dated. You can continue to defend the graphics all you like, but a regular gamer who looks at this game will not look twice. There is a standard for gameplay and graphics that should be met for 2014, it comes down to the actual workers talent, from what I see now, needs a serious kick in the ass.

5. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

A reminder to all, we are in the R2 Feedback forum, and the topic of this thread is SotA's graphics.

6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

So my issue is I think you don't remember the level of graphics these games had, You saw pictures of golden-eye and Zelda on N64, they were already posted and the graphics are far superior to those. So here are some of the BEST ps2 game screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, where are the shadows? how is the lighting in these? This is considered the #1 best PS2 could possibly do.

[​IMG]

notice how blocky the shadows are, the lighting. They sacrifice a lot of things in order to get the best textures possible on their models. And these were big budget games too.
    So claiming the graphics are comparable to what consoles had 15 years is completely incorrect and does not accurately reflect the graphics and effects this game has.

So trying to describe the level of graphic detail in some sort of console generation level is not very useful, especially when you don't seem to remember how they looked or know what to look for in graphics. What we have now in the pre-alpha state is a level of graphics above what we've seen in top-end games from about 7 years ago.
    Here is a much better example where we can define and describe a level of graphics and talk about what they have better, what they did worse, what SoTA can do to improve the overall look. My example? Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, came out just over 7 years ago. I believe we have better graphics currently than this:

[​IMG]

At the time, this was highly regarded graphics.

[​IMG]

Just a couple of years ago this game came out, which was praised very highly for it's beautiful world:

[​IMG]

We don't have that kind of budget to reach that level of detail or to use a graphics engine like that. So if we land somewhere between these 2 games I think we should be happy, and not comparing the game to hardware that is 12-18 years old. What will it take to reach that level between the 2? More work on the character models, more details.

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

OH here for comparison, this was the 3 month demo

[​IMG]

So please stop with these ridiculous and outlandish comparisons and give some meaningful feedback.

Time Lord, Akro, docdoom77 and 5 others like this.
  8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

also this:

[​IMG]

If you have some specific games you think look better than SoTA and what to give some feedback on how they can match or improve it to the standards of that game then great. Don't compare it to some piece of hardware.

Time Lord, smack, Akro and 5 others like this.
  9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Wow, if it looked like that I'd be super-psyched.

mike11 likes this.
  10. monxter

monxter Avatar

Amen Mishri!

Annavas Azon and Malanthius like this.
  11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

One thing to keep in mind, is that things aren't optimized for all graphic cards yet. My game looks like the 3 month demo shots, but I also know I have the EXACT same video card as Chris does (and probably other Portalarium desktops). However, based on screenshots from other community members not everyone is getting the same level of quality.

So your experience may vary until they get into the polishing/optimizing stages and get the game running well on a wider range of hardware.

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian likes this.
  12. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

What video card are we talking about?

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Based on my experience with Unity, some of the details of the models don't pop until the lighting levels have been properly set and tweaked. We also know that lighting levels are going to be one of the last things they work on, as per the devs.

smack and Lord Vaylgar Vexsian like this.
  14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

15. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Using a EVGA GTX 560 TI myself and in game doesn't look near as good as above.

16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well I would have to look at specs side by side, but there are different models which means some differences in technology which may or may not need some attention and optimizing to work the same way as even older ones. I think until they stop adding the disclaimer about things not being optimized we need to understand that mileage may vary.

17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well they're both GTX 5 series so the tech is the same. I just have a few cuda cores and maybe a higher core/shader clock. But we both would be using the same firmware, well depending on how update you keep your drivers.

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

you also have a different memory interface, you have a 256 bit vs his 192 bit. You'd think one that has more of everything should see the same/better, but I really don't know what other factors there could be. I think I'll upload some of my own screen shots for comparison, I tried to get some closeups like that. (I'll have them up in about an hour).

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Lord Vaylgar Vexsian

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian Avatar

I am not assuming anything your posting screenshots that look nothing like mine or a lot of peoples here like Sak who has posted screenshots, so maybe turn they finger to thyself and computer and figure it out, im trying to help you find whats causing it, but when someone says of I have the best, and refuses to look for the actual problem because they are set on it being else where there is nothing anyone can do to help you understand.

YOUR screenshots DO NOT look ANYTHING like my game even when ZOOMED IN and to make it even worse case on your side, my card is MUCH Older then yours!

I am running a 2 and a half year old 1 gig Video card Radeon HD 5750 1gig and my detail are much better then the SS you provided.

go look at mine I posted with my recipe book showing gear and all or most of the the armor currently in game that's craft-able here is the link.
    SPOILER Dont Look if you dont want to see most of the recipes from the crafting.

Bottom line you need to understand this game isn't being created for the purpose of having top of the line 2014 graphics .

No one here that I can see, especially me are poking fun at you or anything but the bottom line is you are not seeing what is even in game now that I am seeing and others are as well, and complaining about it, in a pre alpha game that's not going to be based on high graphic detail, although i am sure somewhere near the end when everything else more important is finished they will polish them and you'll be impressed beyond belief.
    This team that's doing the game is RGs team and I have the utmost confidence in their prioritizing the importance of areas of the game . Give your feedback and I understand I want in the end for the graphics to be top of the time if it was just a wim of a wish, but I wouldn't have the team sacrifice a single thing for the graphics detail when it comes down to the end release.

Customization options I think are limited yea but then again I go back to its pre-alpha and understand there are better things they can spend their time on and I agree, im sure there will be an awesome customization on creation when the release is ready and closer to the end of testing.

Not sure how else to try to get you to understand. The gfx for a pre alpha are great IMO and the game runs pretty damn smooth as well which is a big A+++++++++

Montaigne likes this.
  20. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I have one or 2 screen shots. Just need to figure out how to ge them on here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.