Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Very Bad Graphics

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Mutilator, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

Ok, first of all, I realise this is only release 2, but I'm fairly confident that the graphics won't be improved much from here. As the game stands, it's comparable to the graphics of a N64, I'm not even joking here.

By how much can we expect the graphics to improve from here? As it stands I'm very disappointed.

2. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

The graphics can stay exactly like they are right now as far as I am concerned (minus the reported technical glitches of course). I bought an Alienware machine three years ago and spend more time playing Minecraft using the vanilla graphics settings than anything else. Graphics aren't everything. Awesome graphics may draw people in, but it is the gameplay that keeps them. Once the novelty of the graphics wears off, most people don't even notice it anymore.

Jay, Ara, Jatvardur and 25 others like this.
  3. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Graphics are fine, gameplay and atmosphere is what counts. I think the current level of graphics is more inclusive as it allows players with all kinds of hardware to participate not just those with latest video cards / PCs.

Personally I have a brand new gaming kit, so my machine could handle better graphics, but it doesn't bother me.

They have said that animations on NPC's and characters will be improving - they have facial rigging ready to go for one of the upcoming releases.

One thing they could improve (and I'm hopeful they will) is the atmosphere in places like taverns.

Check this out: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ecor-in-taverns-and-other-npc-buildings.6599/

Jambo, Time Lord, Retro and 8 others like this.
  4. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

Game play and graphics are two different departments. I'm just pointing out that the current graphics are on par with a N64, for a professional game with millions invested, they should be at a much higher level than a 1996 consol. This is 18 years later.

5. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

The graphics are terrible right now, look at her arms, shoulders and face, id rate them a solid 4/10
    [​IMG]

Mordecai and Valice_Belgraham like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

The current graphic quality is acceptable but I agree can be improved. But we're not there yet. We're not in the polish phase of development yet since that usually comes at the very end of the cycle. They've already done a couple passes at housing and they'll continue to do so here and there. I think they're fully aware of all the threads and posts both here and on other websites that they need to improve. I'd like them to finish the gameplay and core systems and fill it with tons of content first. They've got a lot on their plates for the next 10+ months and I do hope they're blocking out enough time to enhance the visual quality later in the cycle. That doesn't mean we can't continue to point out specific areas of improvement. But blanket statements aren't as useful as specific feedback.

7. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

Nothing like N64. Maybe you should load up your Nintendo again and accurately re-evaluate.

Yes the models need more work and that's why it is R2.....but the world itself is coming along nicely.

Then again maybe you need an upgrade?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm only going to say this once, guys: be respectful of each other. Critical responses are just as welcome as those which support the game.

Miracle Dragon, Skalex, NRaas and 5 others like this.
  9. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

Another thing to consider is that they have been working on this game for less than a year. Most MMOs spend five to seven years in development, many of them officially announced two to three years out from release. And when given a first look at them, it's always the same: People complaining about how bad the graphics look.

They've only been working on this game for less than one year. And they've kept us in the loop since day one. The community is funding the project. So the community is not kept in the dark about where they are with it.

As one who has followed the development of several MMOs I can say that we have seen more of this game's progress in less time than any other developers have shown their respective communities throughout the entirety of their development cycles.

We've also been told that the state of the game right now is very much un-optimized. We are not seeing any of the high-detail shaders applied. It looks like we are seeing the raw character models without much in the way of graphics post-processing.

At this stage, they are working strictly on core mechanics. Some people complain that they are focusing entirely too much on social/non-action elements. Well it seems to me that they plan for crafting and player-run economics to be the soul of the game, where we the players can cause the full multiplayer aspect of the game to stagnate or grow based on our actions, with everything else wrapped around it. Why haven't we seen combat yet? Because combat will be done with weapons and armor crafted by players. It's been suggested that even the junk we craft and sell to a vendor rather than put up for sale for other players will find its way into the loot of NPCs and thus in player hands eventually. So in a way combat is wrapped around crafting. In most post-WoW MMOs, crafting is tacked on as an afterthought. It's just another aspect to advance through, and most of what can be crafted is designed to service the one who crafts it more than anyone else, thus reducing the level of symbiosis between play styles. By reversing the order by which the systems are developed, with community-driven economy and interdependency at the center, then everything else becomes a multiplayer-driven element, even if the player chooses to go it alone. The best gear he ends up with, either looted or bought in a shop, will have come from players.

Graphics are the last aspect of an MMO to be completed, being reworked and tweaked all throughout the process. and polished up to the best of the dev team's ability just prior to launch. And it is far easier to tweak or add new graphical assets post-launch than it is to tweak or add core mechanics. The latter always tends to break gameplay, while the former merely alters the aesthetics. I would rather them focus on the core mechanics and the provision of the tools that will be at out disposal to make this game world our own...

Just my two copper pieces worth.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Really? How is this hyperbole helping your cause. Let's look. Here's Goldeneye on n64

[​IMG]

Scroll up and compare with the above screenshots. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Second. I would say that the majority of backers are not terribly concerned with the graphics.... at least not to any great degree.

11. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I dont know about "very bad", but I will grant you the graphics, right now at least, appear a tad dated. In the example a couple post up, I have no problem with the arms, shoulders, or even face. Rather its the flatness of the lighting and a general lack of atmospherics which makes it somewhat Morrowindish in quality (example, bottom right should have some shading). Nothing a few detail passes and some lighting cant solve.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. mmoredfalcon

mmoredfalcon Avatar

The OP is a bit harsh comparing the graphics to N64. But Graphics are a major issue. I know to many of us in the current community it is minor. But realistically they need to strive for more than just the community upon release. You'll want to draw in other gamers. If they are showing off these graphics in a year, to try and sell the game. Around the same time many other MMOs are comming out with much higher end looks and graphics...it will be a touph sale.
    Point is, graphics need to be improved big time. Archage, EQNext, Wildstar, ESO and several others are all releasing in the next year. All graphics far better. It's the pictures that sell the game. Average gamer cares as much about graphics as gameplay. So if the new crop of MMOs comes out with better graphics, similar gameplay, and same cost or maybe a bit more. People will flock to them leavin this one in the dust. So ya, graphics do matter to keep things afloat after release.

13. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I do see the resemblance....they both have a similar green :)

Zelda:Ocarina of Time vs Shroud of the Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I have to admit, I too was not overly impressed with the graphics when I first logged on. (Not that graphics are why I wanted to play anyway, but old style isometrics would just not do it.) BUT then I turned up the graphics from "Fastest" to "Good" (it goes 2 higher plus custom). For me it seemed to still be stable with no particular glitching, but it greatly improved the graphics! Like from "eh" to "wow". Don't get me wrong, I render better everyday, but I can't do anything in my rendered images. In the end I am actually impressed with the graphics (at the higher setting). The characters need a bit of work, but the environment and stonework is very nice.

Time Lord, Annavas Azon and sakuraba like this.
  15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I would say for a pre-alpha, the graphics are great! Also this is a small kickstarter project, not some big business release, so expect different standards.

Sure, the animations are a bit stiff and staid, lighting could use some improvements and the graphics need refinement, but I expect all those things to come in time. For where we are at and the style of game we are backing, I think the graphics are where they need to be.

Lord Vaylgar Vexsian likes this.
  16. Mutilator

Mutilator Avatar

This is the graphics on the highest setting, I admit some of the armor sets look acceptable, but as the game stands right now, its very poor. My point in the thread is to just make sure that something that a lot of people find important is not overlooked. As it stands right now, from the two screen shots i've posted, the graphics are very low quality, I would like to see a significant improvement.[​IMG]

17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Weird. I look at that and see vibrant colors and great textures. Look at the cobbles, the grass, the cloth. I love the wood on the buildings and the leaves on the trees. The hands and face are little weak, but we know they're not done with all the character stuff. The sky, the sun, the water (in other shots) all look great.

18. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Thats funny I was thinking the same thing: That particular shot is somewhat flattering for a pre Alpha....not what I would use to demonstrate the shortcomings. :)

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  19. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Mutilator,
    As I said, the environment is very nice, the characters need some work yet. Also, you have captured some artifacting with the hands of the character. I saw none of that. Perhaps this IS a great catch. If most people didn't see that kind of artifacting there may be some compatibility issue the devs don't know about because people who did see it just thought is was poopy graphics. Was this common for everyone? Like I said, I saw none of it and going over my screenshots I have none. Interesting. This may be something to let them know about. (like bug rather than feedback. IDK)

Time Lord and sakuraba like this.
  20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I don't think anyone who's played the Ultimas of old remember them for cutting edge graphics. It was the story, immersive gameplay and exploration that drew people into that world. SotA's graphics may not be on par with big budget games..but I'm betting the things that made Ultima great will make this spiritual successor great too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.