Want more funding? Add real PvP.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Eldridge, Jun 8, 2014.

?

Do you want HARDCORE PvP?

1. Yes

45.3%
  2. No

56.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

But it's still making assumptions about his meaning. The fact is we just don't know. If he did mean what you are assuming, I would be very surprised to say the least, given the statements I have seen and the current thinking in the pvp mega thread. Personally I prefer to go by what has been stated as fact and not assume things that I think he must have meant, and then try to hold him to it & base my arguments on it. Truth is, none of us knows which part of the 17 years of UO he meant, nor which part of the game he meant. He never even said pvp in any of his references to UO spiritual succesor. For all we know he might have been talking about the housing. lol.

edit: also, the quip you posted where he says spiritual successor to UO, he's talking about crafting.

Silent Strider and Ned888 like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't get the argument on "spiritual successor."

We're not just blindly copying stuff which worked poorly at the time and ignoring any lessons learned over the last 15+ years.

That's as silly as saying it should have the 4 color graphics and A-Z commands of Ultima III.

Silent Strider, Ned888 and Noctiflora like this.
  3. Ara

Ara Avatar

He claimed it many times. I'm surpriced you didnt know what vision the creators of SotA have.

Seems to me you have to read up abit on the game.

Abydos likes this.
  4. Ara

Ara Avatar

I expected SotA to have consensual PvP and full loot after listening to Richard Garriott.

Abydos likes this.
  5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

He never claimed it in relation to PVP. I challenge you to find a single instance where he specifically said: "SotA is going to have a PVP and looting system that is the spiritual successor of UO."

The 'mega post' contradicts that directly, as does the mechanism for filtering and instancing.

You are setting yourself up for a horrible disappointment. I would turn back now... Here there be monsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silent Strider and Noctiflora like this.
  6. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

If it does have full loot, then I expect another 'overland map' debacle will be in the offing.

I'm glad you like what you think you heard though. It's all about enjoyment after all! It's a game!

Either way, I'll stick to the official posts on the forums. I really can't accept one-liners as they have no context.

Silent Strider and Noctiflora like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You can't argue religious conviction with fact and logic.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So far, everything they have detailed to us either in mega threads or hangouts has been right on par with "spiritual successor" of both the Ultima series and Ultima Online.

Full loot is not a precursor of "successor"

Silent Strider, rild and Noctiflora like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Personally, I don't care about full loot, or not full loot, or ransom or any of the rest of it. It will merely cement my decision to never participate...

However:

• Full loot will make PvP victory the easiest way to collect goods for resale, requiring orders of magnitude less effort expended than that expended by the crafter that originally produced the item.
    • Full loot will make PvP players, or at least successful ones, the kings of the economy, selling looted equipment and able to drastically undercut the prices charged by the crafters creating new equipment.

10. Ara

Ara Avatar

You didnt challenge me anything.

He have said it will be a spiritual successor to UO many times.

I suggest you read up on the game since you seem to have missed alot.

Richard call this game a spiritual successor to UO and that is good enough for me to call it a spiritual successor to UO.

http://i.imgur.com/e5BgsFm.png

If you need more quotes then find them yourself, i wont spill time convincing you anymore then i already have.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I want Richad Garriott's vision of "spiritual successor" not anyone else's

Noctiflora and Silent Strider like this.
  12. Ara

Ara Avatar

As long as Richard had any part of the Ultima Online game full loot was in the game. UO had an era of non-consensual PvP and an era of consensual PvP.

So it is natural to expect the SotA PvP game to have such a feature.

SotA PvP is light years away from the UO PvP game Richard had part in.

13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Which is zero.

RG never said this would be UO PVP and loot. I can even cite instances where he said that he regretted how those mechanics were abused. I doubt he will set up his new product with 17 year old game mechanics that he wasn't even really happy about.

Well, at least you convinced yourself, right?

Noctiflora and Silent Strider like this.
  14. Ara

Ara Avatar

One-liners from the developer of the game mean alot to most.

15. Ara

Ara Avatar

I never talked about pre-trammel that Richard was talking about when regretted how those mechanics were abused.

UO Renaissance (post-trammel) was nothing Richard regretted since it was consensual PvP and full loot.

SotA will have consensual PvP which is good just a shame it wont be a spiritual successor to UO when it comes to loot.

Ransom is not the UO Richard had part in.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

All it takes for SotA PvP to be a spiritual successor is for it to have actions have consequences. It can be rock paper sciccors and the winner gets a cookie. But as long as you engage withing the rules of the society it's a spiritual successor.

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

There need to be risk vs reward and consequences.

Full loot is just that.

There also need to be a combat system based on player skill. Card combat that have a factor of randomness and luck isnt a combat system based on player skill. You need to have 100% access to your skills all the time.

So ransom and a card combat system is what make SotA a non UO PvP game- and i mean the UO game Richard had part of.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Risk vs reward is irrelevant in the spiritual successor conversation.

Silent Strider likes this.
  19. Ara

Ara Avatar

Not if you see the spiritual successor of UO statement from Richard as that old UO PvP game (UO Renaissance) with it's consensual PvP and full loot.

That such a risk vs reward game was gonna be a part of SotA.

Problem with statements like Richard's - http://i.imgur.com/e5BgsFm.png

is that it is up to the one reading it to draw conclusions of what he actually ment.

Did he mean a spiritual successor to UO PvP or just crafting and housing?

20. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Maybe he doesn't agree with you on those points... Maybe he thinks differently than you do... Maybe that's why his new game has these new elements.

If he thought the way you seem to believe he does then why wouldn't he just make, I don't know... Shards online? According to your logic, that's exactly what he should be doing. Instead RG has apparently gone mad!!!

He's making a game that is his vision, pulling elements that he believes are valuable into the game. Not the elements you want or believe in....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.