What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

Tila - a shortened version of a character's name from Ivan Yefremov's sci-fi novel.
    Tenderfoot - to indicate that this is my first MMO. :)

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Turk Key.... Chick En was taken.

3. Godra

Godra Avatar

Well, the name Godra is basically the sun god Ra. I just put it together God ra. I never used a creative name in a game since everything I played was offline.... Until UO. I am not a creative mind, couldn’t come up with a name, but I saw Age of Empires III box sitting on my desk. Then it clicked....Godra!!! The rest is history.

I can’t remember what game it was, but only once someone had already taken the name and one game wouldn’t allow the word God, so it blocked me.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  4. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

My in-game name is Shayane .
    A long time ago, I liked the artworks of the game " Shaiya" , and I transformed the name into " Shayane "

[​IMG]

Alleine Dragonfyre and Godra like this.
  5. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

my name is one of my old school nicks about some red nosed rendeer in german :)

6. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Chrystoph = My first name misspelled and shortened. Reis = My father's side original family's Dutch last name. My grandfather legally changed it, to not be associated with the family that owned his mother. I use it as a reminder, to never fall back.

Blade Savage = Uses Daggers, in the most savage fighting style possible... no strategy just savage.... for PVP as you can imagine.
    Harpoon Savage = Uses Polearms and the brother of Blade, as part of an in-game storyline I'm working on... with Chrystoph Reis being written in as the former leader of Strife overthrown by his two half brothers.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Koss like this.
  7. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I was in a PvP guild during the early days of UO. For our last name we used Blackbow.

8. Trof

Trof Avatar

Well i use different names for different chars.
    However here is the what I usually use.
    Male RPG fantasy games. Eowdred Anduakor it is from the LOTR I took Eomer and Theodred and came up with Eowdred if memory server me Andunakor is flame of the west.
    Female RPG fantasy games. Jax(current Avatar in Sota) I just like the name, not sure where i picked it up from. For me it sounds like a strong, intelligent woman who is also playful in nature. If I had a girl I was going to name them Jax(if the wife approved) I only had boys...
    Sci Fi Type Games Male. Trof, I am an old software developer and when I first started all those years ago there were no hard drives everything was done in memory. Code had to be tight and efficient because you didn't have much of that either. Anyway one of the first compilers I used from some generic company that does not exist any longer had a trace command(as did most compilers) so you could follow the code when you had errors. TRON was trace on(yes that is what the movie is about a trace program) and TROF was trace off, some compilers used TROFF. So I guess I am being coy and only old coders will even know what the heck my name means. I am the TRON killer.
    Sci Fi type Game Female: I usually go with Jax agian, sorry I like the name.

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Mine simply came up because I was in a Comics phase when I started playing, and planning to build an Archer, I went with the "Deadshot" last name, and just picked up whatever First name that came up to mind which wasn't too cringy or lookalike to my IRL name, since then, it just stuck because I didn't want to reset my progress just to get a name change more fitting, realizing that I actually enjoyed the game, thus, Marcus Deadshot, the Spear & Dagger Mage came to be (without actually using bows in the past 8 months...)

10. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

My character name is the same I had in UO long ago on Sonoma shard with the guild KB. The name itself comes from a character from Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Trilogies. The character's mannerisms and life situations really resonated with me at the time, and at times still do ^_^ Although now that we have a place with sun and moon magic, if I ever make another character it's time to finally make a Sunrunner ^_^

11. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Well, Dermott was not my first UO character, but it was the first character where I finally got a handle on the system enough to make a character that worked (mind you this was back in EARLY 1998, pre-T2A).

Since the name came from <i>somewhere</i>, that somewhere at the time was a now little-remembered, short lived (two seasons) adventure show that was around at the same time that Hercules and Xena became a thing called The Adventures of Sinbad. Dermott was a part of the crew, the brother of the magician's apprentice Maeve who had been cursed and turned into a hawk.

Dermott was based on the Lake Superior shard and later on joined the guild The Knights who say Ni!. Also at the time, Healing was not yet a viable skill in UO and I played Dermott as a pure melee character (no magic, not even Recall) and since I tended to solo as much as run with my guild I needed a way to heal, so I learned Alchemy and became one of Lake Superior's earliest GM Alchemists. As such, I obtained the guild tatie "Mad Scientist".

Later on, when Chivalry was introduced, Alchemy was quietly dropped in favour of Healing/Anatomy and Chivalry, so the Mad Scientist retired in that endeavour.

With Shroud, Alchemy has become a viable method of having healing methods on hand, so in that regard, Dermott, Mad Scientist is back in business.

As of this year, the Dermott persona (my main online gaming persona) has been around for over 20 years... kind of hard to believe sometimes.

Alleine Dragonfyre and thradia like this.
  12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Sorthious is a name I came up with back in the 80's when I first started playing D&D. I played a mage then, and I play a mage now. :)

13. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

Rat is self-explanatory. ;)

14. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Mine is a simple one. I have three first names in RL - took from each the first three characters and connected them to one word.

15. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Sure. In German it means "hint". ;)

16. Hero Of Britannia Dragon

Hero Of Britannia Dragon Avatar

Hero Of Britannia Dragon

1. The Dragon portion indicates I'm a member of the Ultima Dragons Internet Chapter Ultima fanclub, which is open to all people whom have played/completed a game in the series. It's been around for a while.

2. Hero Of refers to the Sierra On-Line Quest For Glory series, in which the main character eventually earns the title of "Hero Of <Location>" the games each take place in.

3. Britannia is the setting of the original Ultima games, after Lord British becomes monarch of old Sosaria.

Therefore: as a player of the Ultima Series, my (the original) Avatar of Virtue becomes the Hero of Britannia through his actions. Ergo, I am Hero Of Britannia Dragon.

(But if you mean my ingame Avatar's name, that was from UO, and it originally was a completely shameless plagarism from Mage: The Sorcerors' Crusade that didn't fit the field so I trimmed off a letter!)

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This is great! Keep it up everyone. :)

18. Coral

Coral Avatar

I am Coral. I've been Coral in UO for over 13 years, and a lot of my friends and guildies call me Coral in real life. So, naturally, when I started playing SotA 5 years ago, I had to be Coral here, too. No real meaning other than most of my toons are named for things in nature.

19. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Strongbow is the family/workname of my characters. Elaina is a tribute to the first of Strongbows, a settler in the town of Moonglow in the far off lands. Elaina has been alive and played for the past 20 years.

20. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Yipp Yippee is my name... and it means... I want to have fun Yippee!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.