What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bread Vendor

Bread Vendor Developer Emeritus

YESSSS! Seals are great! And as I've mentioned before, they add really great texture to unrelated sfx! ;) (ex. I've used seal elements for the new Kobold toilet sfx and Sequanna finale!)

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Like what you like, unapologetically*... But ... in my world, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and everything ever written by Charles Dickens make up my list of The Books that should Never have been Written, and should be the first on the pile when Fahrenheit 451 comes to be.

Countless hours of my life that I'll never get back, that I could have spent doing something more pleasant, like mucking out porta-potties.

*Unless it's Nickelback.

3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Unlike others playing the game, I am *not* playing myself. I don't subscribe to the idea that all characters got sucked into a New Britannia from present day Earth :)

That said, Fionwyn Wyldemane is a character I brought here from LoTRO. She was Rohirrim, born in Rohan.

Fionnula Flanagan has always been one of my favorite Irish actresses. Fiona is derived from the Scottish (Welsh?) name, Fionn. I shortened it to Fion.

Wyn, comes from Eowyn, shield-maiden of Rohan. I actually based some of Fionwyn's story on Eowyn. Not to copy, but because I find something profoundly moving about a woman who dares to do what her heart has called her to do.

Wylde - it is a variation of wild, as in wild and untamed. It also links to Oscar Wilde, Irish poet and playwright. I write poetry so it seemed like a good fit...lol.

Mane - refers to the mane of a horse. So her family name of Wyldemane not only denotes that she is from Rohan, but I tried to evoke the idea of wild horses with manes flowing the wind. Rather like her coat of arms. Additionally, though she hails from Rohan, her family has Dunlending blood from generations ago. Her family name would denote that fact to any in Rohan.

4. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

I've been The Hendoman since about 13 years old. I was named that by a friend we nicknamned Burgertime. So he named me the Hendoman, after, well... Superman.

I later shot him playing wargames with a bb gun... for about 15 years he had a bump there (which he would show me often with disapproval.)

Fun times. I also use Pohcca Hodass now and then. Which was one of the boxer name choices in wastelands two, spelled to pass yahoo and facebook naughty name filters. Though somehow I got Dickelshitz McFucklebuts past facebook last year.

Oh, I didnt make it up, but I can't wait to slip Dixon Balzac in somewhere. sorry, no pun... wait. no. Pun intended.

THE HENDOMAN

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

None of my characters follow the traditional storyline either.. (and never will thank you). But anyhow.. Anyways.. lead singer of a group I like is named Michael Bloodgood.. which I always thought was just a really cool name.. so..

B.Owen Bloodgood just seemed to work well. Quickly became a favorite character so brought him along to SotA as my primary role.

6. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

7. Nick

Nick Avatar

I've always been wondering who the legendary Elmo was.... :)

I am Nick Cold. Its sort of sounds like my real name. *Atchoo!*

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

My character's name is Jayson Albrecht.

My first name is Jason, but when I went to sign up for a gmail account what I wanted wasn't available. It suggested adding "y", so I became BrowncoatJayson, which stuck.

Albrecht is a German name meaning "noble" or "bright", but I knew it from playing World of Darkness tabletop games back in college. The werewolf noble family was Albrecht, and I played a descendant in one of our chronicles.

When I created my character here, I just combined the two.

Corv, mass, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 5 others like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Bless you.

10. Robby

Robby Avatar

I got the name Gotz von Berlichingen. No real "meaning" to the name. Its just a name. Ive been asked if im german in game(the few moments i actually played) nope im from the USA. Got some german in me i guess but im not going to claim full german. The name didnt really have a meaning for me I just liked it. Its funny how i found the name though... my bro and I are obsessed with berserk. We name our characters guts all the time. Nobody is actually named guts outside a fantasy world as far as i know... but i found out at some point that the creator of berserk modeled his character, guts, after a real historical person named gotz von berlichingen from germany. Got his hand shot off by a cannon, then got a steel prosthetic he could hold a feather pen and a sword with. He was bad ass. Had one hell of a right hook. And yea so was guts in berserk. A badass with a steel hand that he can hold a giant two hander with. So i just decided to name my toon on this game the actual person guts was based on since you can have a first and last name. My only problem is...
    My toon dont actually have a steel hand. :(

11. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I took the name of Atticus from a name inscribe on some ruins when I was in Italy about 20 years ago.

Tour guide said some of the the names that were still visible were from Gladiator champions.

Been using that as a first name since EQ came out.

So no...i didnt pick it cuz of Kill a Mockingbird...I actually had to read that book because peeps kept asking me if I ever read it.

I chose Gryphonheart because I usually like to play Ranger like characters and to me it seem to be a mythical creature a Ranger would take as his animal totem.

12. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

The last time I played UO, I used the name Ioelis Fonsvitae; when it was time to make a char for SotA, I settled on a variation of that name: Ioelo Fonsvitae.

Ioelo shares the consonants of my two real life names (my civil and my Hebrew name). Fonsvitae also shares the same consonants as my real life name; in this case, my civil surname.

Some history on Fonsvitae: it is the name of a philosophical work (Fons Vitae) by the 11th century Andalusian Jewish poet, satirist and philosopher, Shlomo Ibn Gabirol. This is the Latin version, which was the only version known throughout the scholastic philosophical period and through nearly modern times; it became a cornerstone treatise in the western schools of philosophy during the middle ages, thought to have been penned by either a Muslim or Christian scholar by the name of Avicebron (a corruption of the authors name). This state of misinformation re the book and its author persisted until around two centuries or so ago, when it was shown to be that Fons Vitae (or, Mekor Chaim, as it is titled in its original Hebrew) was in fact among the works of the already famed Ibn Gabirol.

I rarely respect a person enough to actively advertise them or their work, but the person and work of Ibn Gabirol holds a special place in my heart for his attention to ethics and morality and their importance and hierarchy in the human experience. For this reason, I wave his flag... and don't mind being called the Fons as a result of it.

But what's in a name?

Here are some creatively inclined persons performing a poem of Ibn Gabirol's; though you may not understand their words, the spirited manner of the melodies and performance will give you a clue as to the strength the author has left us with and inspires.

13. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

In Riichi, the Japanese version of Mahjong, a Tsumo is a win by drawing from the wall. Always a fun and exciting moment. Tsumo!

14. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

Loathe Summ.... eventually headed to PvP - had no idea how long that road was going to be :confused: Maybe the path of the virtues will change me and I'll petition to add "Dove" to the end of it o_O

15. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

@Fionwyn Wyldemane - were you aware that Stephen Donaldson was raised around leprosy? I can't remember the full story now, it's been too many years, but listening to him at a convention years ago he mentioned - if I am recalling this correctly - that his parents were missionaries (or similar) and worked overseas with a leprosy camp. They always say to "Write what you know . . . ."

Olthadir and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

According to local legend- and a mysterious book at the Jaanaford Public Library- the sleepy little fishing town of Jaanaford was founded by an old Druidess named Jaana who some believed to have survived the Cataclysm. Others believed her simply to be yet another earth druidess named Jaana. In any case, even in her latter years, the Druidess Jaana was indeed known locally a champion for Justice as well for her healing talents.

She would often care for the homeless and wounded in her Edelmann village home on the south side of the river. During the latter part of the 5th century P.C., a great unrest came upon South Paladis, and refugees started to pour in from all regions. In particular, it is rumored that a band of fauns on the run from a particularly sadistic satyr took up temporary residence in old Jaana's root cellar, and there she tended to the wounds of young faun by the name of Perri. Jaana helped to instill in Perri her strong sense of social justice, and he was emboldened to organize a resistance against the tyranny of the satyrs.

As the story goes, late one summer night, Perri and his companions were lounging around the campfire under the full moon and were approached by Jaana with a strange fire in her eyes. She told them she had been furiously working all day at a new type of potion, which she claimed would help weaken a satyr both mentally and physically, so that they could be overcome by a faun freedom fighter. The secret ingredient: obsidian chips. And she needed more of them. Perri and his friends offered to go on a gathering expedition with her to the Opalis Ruins the following morning, but Jaana insisted that she go immediately... and alone.

She was never heard from again. For a few years, some of the local residents maintained her property in hopes that she would return. But even they grew grim regarding the fate of the Druidess Jaana, and eventually her property fell into a state of disrepair. Until one spring morning, another Druidess happened to pay a visit.

It was her granddaughter, Jaanelle. Or so she claimed. Truth was- nobody in town had ever heard of Jaana having any children of her own, much less a granddaughter. Even the local Librarian could not find any records of such a person. Nevertheless, Jaanelle petitioned the town council to take up residence at Jaana's old place, promising to not only make all the needed repairs, but to take upon herself the mantle of her grandmother's legacy and restore the property as an historic location and community center. Jaanelle first transformed her grandmother's old home into a lovely Bed & Breakfast, and then added the shop out front. Originally founded in 494 as a consignment shop called Jaan's Cargo, for its 20th anniversary celebration was renovated and reopened as Jaan's Earth Emporium.

Over the years, Jaanelle has continued to develop the property to include a community garden as well as a sparring arena and gathering place for adventurers. Though she has become a well-respected member of the community, a few of the locals are still suspicious of her origins. In particular, the Kartunnen sisters who run a not-so-popular Inn near the center of town. Truth is- their fare is substandard, and their ale too weak. But you didn't hear that from us.

Olthadir, Kara Brae, Oeneusc and 7 others like this.
  17. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

my name is from D&D days and UO days. I have always used it or a version of it. Hell majority of the time i answer to Bella more than my real name. So yeah been using the name for 35 years now.

18. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Thexedor was my Ultima VII name - I was like 14 - since then the name has gone with me to just about every RPG. :)

19. Nighttempest

Nighttempest Avatar

My in game name is Twilight Tempest
    Twilight because I love that time of evening
    Tempest is a name I've had for many years because I love storms. I usually played an elementalist so it stuck for that reason as well.

20. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I was playing around with anagrams for a game where I was playing an assassin about 15 years ago. The original was "Everyone must die" (positive and uplifting I know). Was very pleased to know it is a real world name and kept it ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.