What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Hi :D

Icebreaker time!

Not sure about you guys, but I put quite a bit of time noticing the names people come up with for themselves because it's just fascinating and I have fun thinking about what folks could possibly be thinking or implying with the names they proudly display above their virtual heads.

So...without further ado, please share with us what your Avatar name means to you! Is there a history behind it? Did you name yourself to be taken seriously? To be tongue-in-cheek? Does your name have some sort of significance in the Ultima world or others? Did someone else name you? Is it a subliminal message meant to send us into the throes of servitude?

Please share.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll start! Alleine is German for Alone. I named myself that when I first started Ultima Online. I had no one else to play with and I had just broken up with my long-term boyfriend. The rest is history.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Kabalyero means Knight... I always play a Knight/Warrior Class in MMORPGs... I've used it in all games since... started using it in 2002...

Edit: in SotA... my Avatar's name is Kabalyero Kidd which is also my Second Life name... and I've used it as a Full Name in games since 2007...

3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I was reading Secret Wars, I think, and they were calling Erik Lehnsherr (a/k/a Magneto) "Magnus". My last name is an anagram. :)

4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

That's cool. In Spanish, Caballero means "Gentleman". I originally thought you were just making a play on words with Spanish.

5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

When i started on the internet in 1993 i was a 12 year old kid that really liked computers. My dad was showing lot of tricks about it and i think he was a hacker. I started chatting on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) back in the days with some other people and we made a group of hacking, trying to learn by ourself how to write codes or get into each other systems. Sound bad but thats how we had fun back in the days (There was no mmorpgs) ;p The group of hacking i first joined was named DevilSoul, that is where my name come from. The Cult is just a way to show devotion about computers related to that group. Someone who doesnt know me think im all heavy metal and a dark person but im totally not. ;p And the reason why i use this dark shroud as forum image is because i really liked the death shroud in UO and it remind me that. Im all happy in my heart and i pray god every day. ;p

6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

My wife came up with the name Forlorna Dune, a play on Lorna Doone cookies (and a 19th century literary character). To continue the fun I came up with Brigham Dune, referencing the musical play Brigadoon, about a fantastical town that appears for one day every 100 years.

7. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Dinsoo was a random name generated from SWTOR character creation. I have been known by other names but this one is mine now.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

My in game name is too long. Going to buy the name change token at the telethon.

9. Lained

Lained Avatar

D'Laein Lachlan is an anagram of my first name (as is Lained) and a variation of my surname. Lained is also denial backwards, it's a username I've been using for twenty years and is a result of being a fan of The X-Files. spookymusic

10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

My name was originally inspired from the 90's TV Show "The Sentinel".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentinel_(TV_series)

Also I love the dictionary definition.

sen·ti·nel
    ˈsent(ə)nəl/
    noun
    noun: sentinel; plural noun: sentinels
    a soldier or guard whose job is to stand and keep watch.

In some cultures, a Sentinel is a protector, a defender or guardian.

11. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Mine is just location specific.

I currently live in Keller, Texas which is in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex, so...

Kelworth Dalfort

I thought it had a nice ring to it.

12. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    Caffeine was taken long ago, so Kaffien it is.

Kaffius was just a rehash of kaffien and my kids nickname Chompius (chompybot was taken)
    Forgius was just me putting a spin on my love of crafting / smithing.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  13. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Paulie Walnuts because I still laugh inside every time I say it, and I like Paulie Gualtieri in the Sopranos A.K.A. Paulie Walnuts.

This is the first game I've really been known by this handle, but I've kind of adopted it on other games since.

Most other games I use 2cold2crack which is a play on cold case files that I've always been fascinated by.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

15. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Vallin, old name I had from UO. Represents the word 'valiant'. Tregres, derived from my characters true name, which is a remix of the word 'regrets'. My characters true name has a much brouder backstory and is ultimately hard to RP. Despite how my character may act just know that he is playing a dangerous game that only he seems to know the rules to. While my character makes an attempt to appear flashy with masks he doesn't conceal the fact that he is an Automaton and is quite open about it and how he feels towards Avatars. In short, he believes Avatars have lost an appreciation for life as they are no longer subject to death.

16. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Exactly what I did when I saw your name . lol

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

In fact I didn't chose it... its my xorinite given nickname that they used to make fun of me and my slow intelligence (literally).

It's shortened to the extreme as you see it, for convenience of pronunciation :D

It means : "Jolly ball of big sneeze mucous"... thats how they call the big bang :p

18. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Ariella means Lion of God (Hebrew)

19. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

It's the kinda name that, when read, causes my head to tilt... Like it's spelled in the wrong order and direction... o_O

Is that your dictionary name? Ahu-aeynj(gkxs)? Is the 'g...k, x and s' silent? It sounds like I'm sneezing in he end... :confused:

An example of me trying to read this would be Dory speaking Whale... In Dutch. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

haha indeed thats how it's pronounced...

Aaahhhua and the rest is when you're trying to be polite about it (eyn, first retention reflex) then jgkxs cause the sneeze was too powerful to keep in and it slips through your teeth, nothing silent :)

So that is my companion NPC name... I also am a PC, 100% RP, so I can't meta about him here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.