What is the point of this beautiful darkness if you give newbies night vision ?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Harakiri23, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harakiri23

Harakiri23 Avatar

Speaking from classic EQ point of view, you set a very good mood with the total darkness in the night and in caves. You give players tools like torches or even "Light" to be able to navigate in the night.

Yet these tools are made obsolete by giving out a level 1 Night Vision spell which is superior to everything.

In EQ low level Humans feared the dark, they even rather spent time near the city gates then trying to navigate through total blackness. Yet here you give them ultravision right from the start ?

Few suggestions

Make Night Vision a higher tier skill/spell - mid tier is OK but since everyone can skill everything it might be better to make it pretty high.

Same goes for light - it should be a tinsy bit higher - i mean Fire Weapon is even better than light - whats the point ?

Sure, nobody is forcing you to use these skills but most can't resist - i try not to use night vision because it breaks the atmosphere in the night.

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Honestly, I look at nightvision as a difficulty setting. I also prefer to play without nameplates and without nightvision as I love the excitement of arrows streaking in from the darkness, or even fireballs, surpising me that I’m under attack. I figure prob most folks will want it all shown and visible. I too think its a bit OP and perhaps needs some drawbacks but I have a feeling its here to stay, and as is :(

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not just atmopshere... It's gameplay: night should be good for stealth, but Night Vision cancels that out.

I'm sorry, but I keep going back to saying there are strong gameplay reasons to tie Tier-1 and Tier-2 skills to reagents -- with ways to mitigate this, of course. Plus unique reagents per school would help. It's not just Night Vision, it's the Light spell making torches feel useless, and Healing Touch taking away a lot of the purpise of food and potions (I never use either).

The solution has always been pretty obvious and easy, but folks keep trying to avoid it.

Elgarion likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My personal issue with the 'dark' is that despite cranking my brightness settings to max, I can't see anything at all underground, and the radius of the light spell does little to help this. Even with it, or even if I hold a torch and turn off all shadows, I have to go into my graphics card settings or download a utility so I can artificially crank the brightness/gamma higher than my physical monitor settings just so I can see what I'm doing. Its always been that way, I'm on the 3rd computer I've built since starting to play Shroud and I've been through several monitors and its always an issue so I've ruled out hardware as a cause. I appreciate this is probably a "me" issue more than a "game" issue. I really strongly dislike night vision washing out the world in green, but sometimes its a necessity to quite literally keep me from walking into walls. I think the main reason they are low tier spells is to keep lack of visibility from being a barrier to gameplay.

Solazur and FrostII like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah we can't really take away access to the night vision because from what I hear some people have vision problems and really need to use it. So I think it's a mistake to mess with it.

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

Got to agree with this. There are still several major things that need fixing in the game but Night Vision isn't one of them.

Solazur and FrostII like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And nobody is forcing YOU to use it either....
    You want it gone because YOU enjoy the "immersion" of a dark night..... fine.... Immerse yourself by not using night vision, but kindly cease trying to impose your version of night "immersion" on the rest of us who enjoy the ability to see where we're going...

Kain Darkmoor, kaeshiva and Solazur like this.
  8. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

You want the game to cause eye strain? Yeah that will help it. LOL

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I have a level one night vision spell?
    Never used night vision. I mean never. Really. Not a single time since I joined SotA ^^
    If that's true I agree with the OP. This shouldn't be a spell handed out as a standard.

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Don't use it if you choose not to, but why take the option away from someone else ?
    How does their enjoyment of seeing at night in any way take away from your immersion ?

Solazur likes this.
  11. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Actually Night Vision has (like most skills) advantages and disadvantages. For example with Night Vision active you cannot see the sparkles/flicker you normally see at nodes and so you have to more carefully look at nodes to not miss them.
    Flaming weapons is just active while you swing your weapon and just for a relative short time.
    The light spell isn’t that bright but it is quite long-lasting.
    Similar it is with the equitable torch but this will take a gear slot.
    And finally there are some gear items that always light your surrounding but just in a very small area.
    These are the 5 possibilities you can light your path I know...all of them are different and might be more useful in one or another situation. ;)

Toadster likes this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Huh? I don't give a flying f*** about immersion. And I didn't say remove it from the game. All I said was don't hand it out as standard.
    It actually takes away from the game for new players in my opinion. The night being dark needs a different way to play than by day. If you give them night vision as starting skill they will never experience it.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yeah because we don't know where the nodes are :rolleyes:
    My nodes almost never sparkle (seems to be a bug I should report) and non the less I find them all because even with the new system they spawn around the same locations. So that's not really a downside ;)

14. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Disagree... some players will use it but I find the green washed out render annoying. When I started the game I tried nightsight once and didn’t touch it for months after that. It has its uses in some scenes but others a light is still better.

Also their adding to the torch to allow it to be used in offhand attack and catch things on fire.

15. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Maybe it is a bug...but looks like you are also never harvesting herbs in the wild as even with knowing „there must be something“ it is sometimes hard to find. :p
    Oh and of course we are also talking about newbies...they might not recognize that easy a node as an old and wise avatar like you or me. ;)

16. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

There was a similar pot the other day/week and i initially thought 'leave my night sight alone' as i use it all of the time, even during the day if its still on. However playing this release i have come to the conclusion that it is too good at what it does and also takes away from the glorious graphics. When it does turn itself off after a long time and the graphics show themselves i usually go wow this game is gorgeous, so i am in agreement with this post.

Maybe....in addition to the ops proposed changes...

Night sight will only work at night? as soon as dawn comes it cant be used?
    The duration of it is markedly turned down
    Its usefulness and distance shown is tied to skill level.
    It takes reagents to use and is costly to do.

Even though i use it all of the time i do want it to be limited and not to be so good that it encourages people not to use and to not miss out on some great visuals of the game.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Exhausting Discussion No.?

I want....
    You want, but...
    But then..
    Ya but....
    Errr but...
    I think....
    Dont force me....
    But it's just ...
    I use it, but i dont like it
    I like it, but i dont use it

Do you know what damages the game the most imho?
    Triviality of several things, limitlessness that in Truth is limiting the game from beeing especially.

Oh people compare to much to others.
    Some advice to not compare yourself and dont compete.

Ya dont compete, thats the issue.
    Renounce pvp and competetive content or destroy yourselfs immersion and gameplay.
    Or just min max and compete.

Nor fish, neither flesh.
    We try to satisfy all and do so many compromises so that in the end we satisfy nobody.

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre and psteg like this.
  18. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Night vision should be a 2nd or 3rd tier spell, I absolutely agree with this. If someone wants that level of vision, it should come with a cost.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  19. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Well I think they could possibly add one more affect for this spell to balance. If you go into loghted areas with the spell or when it becomes daytime, it could cause dmg or wash out the screen in white as it is completely to bright.

But I think the annoyance of having to cancel nightsight would make most people stop using it instantly. And it would make fire and light spells a very affective counter against stealth nightsight users.

20. St Drahcir

St Drahcir Avatar

I didn't really even know Night Vision existed.

What does it look like when you activate it? Someone said it looks somewhat Green-washed-out-ish? Like when viewing through night vision goggles maybe?

Or does it just look like it does in Daylight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.