What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

They already fixed this scenario with ransom. If there is a corpse run in SotA I would be interested to see if res killing is still common....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I played MMO's back before they had secure trade. I was way more worried about looking 3 months of gathering resources because someone grabbed the stuff I was trying to trade to someone or that someone took my stuff without paying.

PvP can be a vehicle for griefing but it's the system that allows these things to happen.

Make the system with grief prevention built in is way better than allowing the griefing and hoping people police themselves.

Just like these forums, no matter how much we police ourselves and keep topics on track. Someone will always come in guns-a-blazing spewing venom everywhere.

Noctiflora likes this.
  3. DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK

DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK Avatar

In UO if you behaved really bad the GM's would show up and teleport you to a holding cell and give you a lecture. It made me a friendlier player....NOT! You cant stop a PK but I was always reasonable. I left my neighbors alone and befriended them. I provided a little protection and they would sell me goods when I couldn't go to town. It works both ways. Do you cry foul when a BOSS kills you?

4. DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK

This isn't WOW. That is all.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

No, but a boss is an unintelligent being, merely a part of the game. One that doesn't have a conscience, or malice.

A kill by a boss has nothing, at all, in common with PvP. Not even in the same ballpark. The lack of a real person behind the NPC, for me at least, makes the distinction as clear as day and night, even if the NPC is actually a good simulation of a real person.

Noctiflora and Mata like this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Don't forget that the NPC boss won't gloat or post on the web how he r0xx0rs and you suxx0rs. That is what wrecked felucca for me for a long time.

Keira, The One, Ned888 and 1 other person like this.
  7. DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK

So you are basing the difference off of emotion? BOOHOO

8. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

If that doesn't work for you..... I know where the mob bosses are, they don't randomly show up where I am doing something completely unrelated to combat and force me into a combat situation..... Not to mention if I actually kill the boss it will drop something worth while to someone, if not me, where as the pvp aggressor will carry as little as possible to not risk losing anything that might be of value. Definitely not willing to risk as much as I am having to defend.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Well, get Ready to Rumble at Our First Gladiator Wars"
    Hosted by many of our grandest Guilds and Player Cities and promoted by our very own Avid Grand PvP Citizen of New Britannia "blaquerogue"!

Though our PvP has been tested in limited ways by our Portalaium Staff and will be a very early crude rendering of our SotA Combat system, it is important to realize that PvP is being introduced so early because we want everyone's input as our PvP and combat system begins to take shape "through and considering our actual player input!" Just please keep in mind when our Alpha release #1 was released, "we couldn't even walk back then", so this is how our very first PvP encounters should be taken..."We gota' run before we can walk, we have to walk before we could fight anything, so "yes indeed" we must first donk each other on the head a bit before we can even begin to look like what greatness we will become.

On another note about the upcoming contests, it's ~Time Lord's~ predictions that we will be seeing for the very first time as a consequence of our Gladiator Wars that... "We will be witnessing our first true Combat Leader's rise within the coming PvP challenges"
    So be sure not to miss out ;)!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

10. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

That sounds just as exciting as playing WoW.

11. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Nothing to do with how exciting it is... Purely a reply as to a reason why a mob boss killing someone doesn't upset some people... Mob bosses don't interfere with other facets of the game and call it adding excitement.

I'm all for PVP, I don't mind full loot, but I do mind putting weeks into getting the gear I want to compliment my character (whether it's gear to boost my abilities at combat/crafting/harvesting or a forest green suede tux just because I like the look) and getting attacked by someone who has gear anyone can get in minutes of game play.

If you want value for winning, bring value to lose.... Value doesn't have to mean "top tier", for me it's rarity... If it takes time to aquire for me then you shouldn't be able to loot it unless you bring something to lose of comparative value/rarity.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Ara

Ara Avatar

What PvP game are you talking about?

PvP players in UO Renaissance had lots of loot since they fought all the time, loads of potions and regs. PvE players usually had poor loot. Carrying little was the same as not being prepared for that long lasting battle and could actually be the reason why you died.

Statloss PK:s had statloss as a risk which in itself was many, many, many times the risk any PvE player risked upon death. Dying with statloss usually ment weeks of retraining, some even deleted their PK.

13. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

In a game? Something that people do just to feel one emotion or another, since everything else about a game is a make-pretend thing the player can't get back to the real world?

Emotion is the whole point of a game. If whatever the player feel while playing a game is not pleasant, there is no point, at all, in playing.

It's funny how some people using realism, meaning, or something of the kind to defend their points of view ignore this simple fact. In a game everything and anything is secondary to having a good time. It's what people are paying for. All the rest — realism, meaningful consequences, competition, whatever — is there only to support players having a good time, so whenever any of those gets in the way of the player enjoying the game, it should be dropped or reworked.

BTW, even in real life situations emotion matters a lot. I've seen people get fired for not caring about the feelings of their co-workers more than once. Many of the largest and most profitable companies in the world go to great lengths to make sure their employees stay with a positive mindset — in other words, attempt to manage the emotions they feel at work so they are positive — because it increases productivity.

Ned888 likes this.
  14. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

I was out before Renaissance... The annoyance of the naked mage did me in. I got tired of trying to solo explore or gather resources and ending up spending too much of my limited game time fighting people who were just interfering with what I wanted to do and bringing nothing of value as I see it.

Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  15. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

That is understandable.
    I am against "uber" items. Full loot is more palatable if gear is easy to replace. It also helps the crafting demand.

As far as rare items, you just have to be a bit more aware of your surroundings. I loved collecting the Ranger armor in UO, but I would not wear it at Terathan Keep.

To me, NPCs and bosses are predictable and predictable is boring.

Ara likes this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

Aye that is right, mages was also so much better then a dexer pre-trammel. A very unbalanced PvP game that pre-trammel UO.

UO Renaissance was one of the most balanced PvP games though, it was almost Blizzard quality. A mage had usually a very hard time killing a experienced dexer especially if that melee character had some magery for cures and heals.

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

Once you killed them you know their "skill".

A real player can adapt though and play a different battle next time you meet.

18. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

AI doesn't have to be that way. People just complain to no end when it isn't that way. While I was in the Marines I had a few buddies who worked on predictive scripting bot programs for tactical FPSs. They would challenge each other (including some hefty betting) to see who could write scripts to be the most realistic and adaptive. When they were done they would go online to open matches and see how well their scripts ran against random live people. After awhile they would consistently rank in the top 10%. No one knew they were fighting against "smart macros", and no one complained, but I bet if they found out there would have been tons of complaints.

I would love to see mobs learn what people do to beat them and adjust their tactics over time to cover weaknesses, and opening up other opportunities for new tactics to be developed to beat them.

19. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

There is no evidence full loot helps crafting demand past the short term. I didn't play early UO for long, but I had a reasonable stockpile of "easily replaceable" gear from full looting others. I could have probably gone a month or 2 without going to a crafter by just replacing what I lost from my stash. If the looter had to sell everything instead of keeping it as backups you might be right....... Or, preferably, loot is damaged beyond usage by combat requiring a crafter to repair it (I vote needing a similar item to be sacrificed in the repair).

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yep, that would be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.