when is alpha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shimario, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Yikes, that's a big can of worms there. I'm sure there's plenty of good reasons out there but I'll just say that Prototype video was a mistake to release, in my opinion. Trying to demonstrate high level concepts in that way likely did more harm than good. They would have been better served to release a high quality cinematic / concept video since that's what the "prototype video" really was.

Honestly, I feel this first "Alpha" is the real prototype, the first vertical slice of the game. The upcoming Alpha will be distributed to close to 25,000 backers and likely won't be under NDA. This will be the first big splash SotA will have the opportunity to make. No pressure :)

rild, sakuraba and NirAntae like this.
  2. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Yeah, you're right about a can of worms.

I think that prototype video was a big mistake as peoples first impression of the game wasn't real good. It's a video game so looks are very important to quite a few.

The bigest issue I ran into as I tried to recruit friends and friends of friends was they were just not enthused about another Ultima. I know most the people on here are but that's one of the reasons there are less then 25k backers. And when you figure in some have multiple accounts because of the 1 character per account rule there are probably quite a few less then 25k different people.

3. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I would say for the most part it was the not quite up to par graphics that turned people away but the ideas behind it all were what drew me in as well as Richard Garriot being the main guy behind the curtain. If people never played Ultima Online they just don't understand the kind of open world that it was so the kind of excitement for another similar game is pretty hard to replicate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

blaquerogue, Jatvardur and rild like this.
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

My guess is that we get the Alpha between the 13th and 20th of December. They will push-push-push to get it there so they can relax for a few days with their families around Christmas holidays. The team is older than a typical team, and I'm guessing they have a higher than average number of kids between them all.

5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=28012

6. smack

smack Avatar

Another issue was that even the backers were confused as to what SotA was and it was a crazy divisive topic. It wasn't until one week prior to the end of the campaign that they released Update #17 titled "What IS Shroud of the Avatar?". To this day, it's still a hot topic but not as heated as during the campaign.

Yeah, the later they push it toward Christmas, the more risk they incur to get called in during the holidays should something go wrong. Doubly so if it's a multiplayer Alpha and the servers are overloaded or go down.

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

You don't have to tell me about it. I'm one of the ones who is VERY unhappy about that announcement. I didn't pledge for another Ultima, I thought I was getting a pushing the edge new game and in the end I see a poor mans EQ next instead.

8. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Wasn't like, the majority of this whole crowdfunding movemet to get devlepoers able to create their games on their own schedule and make sure it isn't released before it's finished instead of having a publisher (*cough* EA) force them into unrealistic deadlines?

Duke Nuke'em was a TOTALLY different kettle of fish.

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Hard to crowd fund when you don't have a committed date. Many people won't spend money unless they know when they'll get it. And who knows, maybe a date was required by KickStarter. The good news is that there are four more episodes to fill with new features.

10. Athyrio

Athyrio Avatar

Drool? hmmm....

11. Athyrio

Athyrio Avatar

So lets hope that it is forthcoming in week 2 or so in December. The progress per week and per quarter has been good... So no one directly knows for sure, ut lets all hope on track for December 2013.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Many of us pledged due to the previous games in the series, not UO. That's not to say that we have not played it, but it wasn't what attracted me at least.

Alexander likes this.
  13. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Kickstarter expects there to be an aproximate date for delivery attached to its projects as well, now sure that might blow out a bit but the game is shedualed for release october next year. If its not out for the next 20 years then they will be in trouble

14. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Technically they already did crowd fund. Any extra funding now is just that.. extra going towards polishing etc. Let them release the game on their schedule. Let them try their vision of the game. That is why we crowd funded, so that they wouldn't have to bend to the whim of a publisher and will hopefully give us a something new, interest, and fun. There will be alpha testing to get feedback and fix/change anything that makes the game not fun to play, but it is worth giving them a chance and letting them have whatever time they need.

Patients is a virtue Avatars. ;)

Sir Stile Teckel and NirAntae like this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Technically, KickStarter is done. Funding continues.

You and I might be fine with waiting until it's reasonably done-done, you know, the whole Blizzard thing. I'm sure most people on this site might prefer it. But when you do a KickStarter, there are certain rules that people expect you to follow. You must have a delivery date listed, and that's the date you must shoot for. I'm sure there is some leeway due to circumstances, but for the most part, that's what people will expect. We had 22k backers on KickStarter. I'd say that maybe 10% are active in chat and in the forums. That leaves nearly 20k people who may or may not be willing to wait, plus the backers from the the SotA site.

I have discussed in other threads why I think they are falling short in maximizing their continual funding, so I won't repeat it here, but I will say that they have a chance to make more money and perhaps even raise their goals for Episode I. Regardless, they have a production schedule that should let them hit their target. They have four other episodes with which to add major features. We'll get something new interesting and fun, no doubt.

Joviex and AuroraWR like this.
  16. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

Releasing an early alpha build in December would be the best thing for funding and the community. This type of develpment is all about "everyone" being involved that backed the team. It's the main reason I get involved with Kickstarter projects, makes me feel as if I'm truly a part of the game.

17. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I don't necessarily agree with that. If the early alpha isn't ready, it doesn't do anyone any good to rush the release and it certainly won't help funding if the alpha is a disaster. The best thing for the game is to release the alpha build whenever it is ready, which might be December or might be later. I would be (pleasantly) surprised to see it in December and will fully support any decision to push that date back if the game isn't in a release-able state.

18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Alpha doesn't have to be a full game. It can be certain parts of the game. The combat, magic, walking down a road. It doesn't matter. Something. Alpha isn't Beta where you need a rough game to play. I know they have at least enough material to let us walk through a town and explore all these homes they've been so hard at work making. I'd take that as Alpha in December. That would certainly help fund raising as far as buying all their addons homes, basments, and plots go.

19. smack

smack Avatar

I'd be really surprised if the Alpha was multiplayer. If they can get it in with high quality, sure. But I think they've originally said that the initial Alpha release this year would be single player. That's not to say that they won't continue to give us updated Alpha builds with bug fixes and new functonality when they're ready, so that we won't have to wait until Beta for that stuff. Who knows...we're all anxious to hear more!

Phredicon likes this.
  20. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Couldn't agree more! I'm talking the week between Christmas and new year off, please don't leave me bored! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.