Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

When will we be able to choose fighter for Love storyline?

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Svahn, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

When will you guys (devs) make it so that we can choose for example to be a fighter and arrive at the Love storyline after speaking with Arabella?
    We should be able to freely choose our starting skills really..
    Fighters can be loveable too.

My feedback is that I miss the above freedom and I think new players would like it as well.

2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Likely never. Richard and Scott have both said the system is designed as intended and unlikely to change. Past Ultima games has your starting stats and equipment depend on virtue choices as well.

You can be a fighter and still do the Love quests (in fact everyone will need to do the Love quests to beat the game). That just won't be your starting virtue area.

It should also be noted that your initial virtue/class decisions don't lock you in much. You can pick up starting skills quickly for anything you want. You are never locked into a class. And your virtue values change based on decisions in game.

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You can travel to Solace bridge, the first time you enter it will begin the Love quest for you.

Katrina Bekers, Anvar and Time Lord like this.
  4. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Per Richard Garriott that is never going to happen. If you want that to change, convince him. It's one thing he feels very strongly about and has made clear in multiple hangouts.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

So are you saying that the 3 starter zones are not necessary the beginning of the quests, but rather the "tutorial zone" where player will get their feet wet until they're ready to move onto the real quest start zone (i.e., Soltown, Resolute, and Aerie)?

6. Lum the Mad

Well, we're also massively redoing the starter zones (starting with Solace Bridge/Love next release) so they're more compelling/have more things to do.

7. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

@Lum yes but don't start the characters off with skills they may not necessarily need. Must every mage start off as a predominant fire mage with blade skills? Give us the framework of a fighter/mage/ranger build but at least let the player decide what kind of fighter/mage/ranger he/she will be.

Svahn and Bluefire like this.
  8. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Uhm, yes. Fire! We need fire! fire! fire!!! fire!!! and uhm.... oh yeah....not supposed to say that. Uh-heheheh-uh-heh. "Shut up Beavis!"

I agree, make us a "class" but let us choose the skills we want in that class. Why do I have to be a sword swinging mage? Let me have a bow, dagger, or polearm, and let me pick from the magic schools myself.

9. Archer

Archer Avatar

I'm in complete agreement with the sentiment here. Starting quest/zone is fine being determined by the virtues identified by Arabella (although I find all the questions too black or white to answer honestly), but they should in no way select your starting abilities. Why, for example, does Love create a Ranger? Simply because of the tenuous connection to Cupid, which tickled someone's fancy? I wanted to start with a magic user, but my answers to Arabella got me a Ranger, that I had to work much harder to convert into someone I wanted to play. This is both unfair and unnecessary.

Svahn likes this.
  10. Womby

Womby Avatar

Let's face it, the predominant reason for choosing a particular path will be so that the player ends up in the same region as their guild POT. That way they won't have to level up sufficiently to fight their way through a control point.
    In my case I'll cap all skills that I don't want while still in the starter zone and unlock the skill tree that I really want at the earliest convenience. The game is, after all, supposed to be classless - i.e. I can create my own class.

It would however be considerate if a complete range of basic weapons for all skills trees (with value 0 of course) was available in the starting scene so that players can grab the one they are actually going to use, so they can switch to it later, instead of making life unnecessarily difficult at the start.

(In my case I will be able to grab what I need from my pledge and stretch goal items sitting in the bank, but others will not be so fortunate.)

Svahn, Maka, Gix and 4 others like this.
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

You can select courage choices, get the fighter skills, and just pass through the courage line and go start the love story line. Nothing preventing that except game flow not pointing us that way.

cartodude likes this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Here is what I offer as food for thought.

There is something to be said for the concept of STORY.

I don't think the Arabella intro sequence is about players selecting skills at all.

It is about a player selecting a STORY, or theme, to pursue. One that is most compelling to them. That is why the choice is presented in quest text.

If you are interested in love, follow the love choices and engage in the love stgory. Don't let the skills worry you one bit! You can very quickly level those to starting points.

So many games offer players a mindless starting point of choosing skills without story.

SOTA is different. Its about your story as an Avatar first. Not your skills first.

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  13. Lum the Mad

This is a good idea and we'll do this.

Kara Brae, Svahn, Bluefire and 15 others like this.
  14. Womby

Womby Avatar

This is one of the reasons I love Portalarium. And @Lum, you rock!

15. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Problem i see wit haveng multiple wepaons is that there won't be any glyphs to go along with the different weapons. Somehow the fact that only blades are valid (or nows or wands depending on where you are) has the potential fo confusing people who aren't familiar wit the combat system and glyphs. If you give the all a starter glygh for each tree ten you've probably circumvented the arguments and people can do what they want.

Leostorm and Womby like this.
  16. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

You can answer her questions "honestly" then tell her afterward you want to be a ranger instead.
    They have already accounted for this, and made accomidations for people that don't want to cheese the answers just to get the class they want.

Leelu and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  17. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

If you look around inside the starter zones, you can find at least one copy of every weapon type, so you can technically switch from swords to bludgeon, polearm, or bow inside the tutorial if you really want to. (your going to be short on arrows if you didn't start as a ranger though)

This doesn't really help mages because they need to train new skills to add a new element to their magic arsenal. but Fire + heals does give a decent starter build for mages to work from.
    Xp wise the points they prespend for us is trivial. and won't make any difference at all after your first month of playing, but it does garuntee you have enough skill to kill a skeleton or a wolf and begin your adventure.

Leelu likes this.
  18. Womby

Womby Avatar

Yes, however if a desired alternate skill tree is locked then it only takes 100g to unlock it on arrival at Soltown, Resolute or Aerie. So, not much of a problem provided people are aware of their options. Unfortunately there will always be those who refuse to read.

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  19. Lum the Mad

The tutorial will prompt you to use the 'correct' weapon but other weapons will be easily found for people who want to use them.

Maka and Womby like this.
  20. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

It's too bad we can't convince Richard to let her ask us the questions related to the 'story' to determine where we start, and then a separate set of questions that narrow down your fighting/style preference (then have those skills added). I always feel like it's forced ... "Oh you like 'love'... you MUST be a ranger..." instead of "Oh you like love ... but you like bashing people with a mace... " :D

Kara Brae, Svahn and Maka like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.