Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Why do we all jump the same?

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Why do we all jump the same, shouldn't strength and agility have a factor?

Why do we all run the same, shouldn't strength and agility have a factor?

Strength is a factor in health, Intelligence is a factor in focus... should the attributes be a factor in some basics like running and jumping... swimming and climbing (wait we can't climb)

Shouldn't the attributes be a factor in crafting as well... strength bonus for blacksmithing, agility for woodworking and leather and cloth working... Intelligence be a factor in Alchemy and cooking?

Just curiously annoying as usual.

Gatsu., Time Lord, kbruder and 2 others like this.
  2. Spirituality

Spirituality Avatar

Perhaps because it would cost a lot of time (=money) to introduce differences in running and jumping based on strength and agility, for an insignificant impact on game play.

Perhaps because you are the first person to care enough to ask for it.

Snikorts and Time Lord like this.
  3. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

This actually may happen in the future but its too early to tell right now. its a good idea IMHO but there is a whole lot planed and things are pretty much Full I think right now..
    I am sure the Unity Bugs are not helping progress in this regard either.

I suggest that you keep it in a list and propose it after the Final wipe and after they fix the Unity bugs.

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I believe the jump height is already reduced by encumbrance, so they may expand beyond that at some point.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

take a look at the light armor tree and you may be enlightened :)
    movement speed modifiers.
    what type of armor you where makes more sense in effectiveness of running.

STR/INT have very little to do with ability to run fast. Im not very strong irl but I can run a 4:36 mile.

And also jumping has to have a limit for balance and design mechanics and in order to design scenes/dungeons/ext

6. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

In real life, agility, technique and a balanced strength to weight (the overly muscular lose run time speeds) are all factors in your ability to run and jump... I applaud you on that very decent 1 mile run time... (well within USMC standards for being in the ironman catagory which also requires situp and pullup scores... but most fail at the run time when missing ironman status :)

I have seen exceptionally stronger men run fast wearing heavy armor (albeit modern armor types). I'm quite sure that strength should factor in with what armor you're wearing and your speed.

Also wearing heavier armor should effect your agility and ability to use certain skills which doesn't seem to be the case yet...

how can I move stealthy in plate mail armor?

**clink clink squeak squeak**
    "Dude! Shhh... why didn't you buy some WD40 at that last town we stopped in for provisions?! That Lichlord will hear us coming from 3 dungeon corners away"

Can you imagine a 100 lb girl wearing a full set of plate mail... (no offense to the girls...) It better be Magical Plate Mail of weightlessness...

Jumping should also be modified by leg strength.

Although I do understand why they would place such things on a very long list of things to get programmed I do believe it should be considered for the future... (much older games have these programmed into them... some actually have "skill" classes for jumping and running that can be improved by usage, similar to reduction in "falling" damage skill that IS included in Shroud and should consider agility as a factor, IMO)

They use strength as a factor in encumbrance so it's not like they haven't considered stats effecting abilities.

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Currently Size Makes the Difference~:confused:
    Short = less jumping height... Tall = greater jumping height... :( I'm not happy with that...
    ~Time Lord~o_O

Acred likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Been talking about these since early releases, would add alot to variety of characters and abilities... I think its a priority.

Jumping and climbing and outrunning foes have been great fun... but sadly it moved in the other direction (nerfing without realism) which got me facepalming.

Hornpipe and Time Lord like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Is the relationship between avatar size and jumping ability documented anywhere?

Quenton, Acred and Time Lord like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I've been checking this out each release because my main testing all focuses on new characters and I believe it still exists.
    But just to make sure, I'll try it again here shortly and repost here what I find through another jump test.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Acred and Kara Brae like this.
  11. Acred

Acred Avatar

I actually added this question to the growing list posted for the Postmortem:

"Do short Avatars have less jumping ability? i.e. does a character’s body length affect the height that can be jumped?"
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=59994

I hope they answer it on Thursday.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Kara Brae and Time Lord like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~My Very Strange Findings~o_O

Ever since I posted this...
    I've been creating and deleting Avatars, short, tall, male, female...
    For the testing, I used our opening scene and took each Avatar to the doorway of the Oracle. I leveled my view point each time in the same way and then measured from the artwork on the door how far each could jump with the Avatar's left foot being the measuring point.

The current result is, that this post is wrong...
    But even more strange than fiction, there's other things at work here... this test involved thus far, some 12-14 different Avatars, each of max short and max tall.
    There are 2 high jumps which happen by chance. There is a normal high jump and an exceptionally high jump.
    Within the male short and tall Avatar, each seem to be able to accomplish both of these jumps with the same height achieved. *There was one short and one tall that couldn't achieve an exceptionally high jump.
    Of the female Avatars tested, "I still have yet to achieve an exceptionally high jump using a max tall female Avatar" (I'm still attempting it using others I create).
    The short female Avatars do achieve this, yet have thus far achieved it by a much lower number than their male counterparts.
    Of the male Avatars, the short Avatar has a slight lead in being able to achieve the exceptionally high jump over the taller male Avatar's ability. (I count this as a possible random chance which could even them).

All that seems very odd hu o_O?'
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Odd ? nah I think it has to do with lag...

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I still haven't gotten a tall female avatar to do the highest jump... which is only jumping about 1/2 an avatar's head worth of extra height.
    I do keep logging in and trying with the same results.
    "But I know nothing about computers"... really... :p
    ~TL~o_O

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

YES this is really important. If a short avatar is at a disadavantage jumping then that is a real probelm. Players are clearly going to make all their avatars tall. Why then do we have height? Everybody will be the same size.

Height probably should remain cosmetic and for choice. If a tall player has a better reach and a higher vertical leap then why have a short wily rogue? Just make a big and strong rogue... Personally I would like to have a small rogue. Good for sneaking and just all around looks cool to be a bit shorter than everybody else, and blend in kneeling behind rocks. Would suck if that sort of character was not a good build, also if being short is the only way to go then there might not be any tall rogues. Although if all rogues are short and all warriors are tall, we know what the player is just by looking at their height. The saying "don't trust short people" might be the phrase people know this game by.

Ultimately it seems it points to the question ...

"does choosing height and sex lock us into a particular character path."

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Acred and Time Lord like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Seems like the subterfuge skill tree needs to be able to enhance the likely hood of a good jump, regardless of sex or height. Choosing a skill path shouldn't be limited to height or sex. Speed is modified by light armor, maybe jump could also be a light armor thing.

EDIT: Although if it were mostly a skill thing, and partially a hight thing, then I wouldn't mind being a short rogue if the loss in jump is minimal compared to my skill. So if somebody wants that extra little bonus to their jump be a tall guy. However the short rogue might have to make up for their slightly less useful jump with a slightly more useful natural height advantage to duck behind shorter rocks or bushes. if there is a slight bonus to stealth for being short then that might lend itself to creating slightly more critical sneak attacks.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Why do we all do combat rolls the same ? :D I've been pushing for making the Acrobatics skill give bonuses to combat rolls; increase Damage Avoidance and reduce Focus loss.

For jumping, I'd put a charge meter like the meter we get when we charge a free attack, since the longer you hold space down, the higher you're supposed to jump. We might as well get some visual feedback. If they were to do that, they could also make the meter fill up faster the higher your Dexterity is, and, of course, Encumbrance would still affect how your jumping.

Strength would be really important in swimming, especially swimming against currents.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Having multiple ways to aquire jumping seems reasonable too. Light armor and through subterfuge is one way. If they added an acrobatics subtree or even in the futrue if they come up with non combat skills, what about the kung fu style jump that doesn't require a long charge. So the Kung Fu master can fully charge a max jump in .75 seconds charging or whatever, and a normal jump with just a tap.

Although maybe that could be something that requires the Kung fu master to equip a poll or quarter staff to do that jump.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hmmn.. I did not know about the differences in jump. I do know that larger avatars have trouble fitting into tighter spaces. (a chair pushed out from a table far enough for a small avatar might not be far enough for a tall one who then gets stuck).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.