why people hide in friends - to avoid the griefers!!!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by liz_the_wiz, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I wont have support from it.
    I have 5 skills at 80 and i am level 72 or 73.
    I would need to get all magic schools up to be resistant, especially fire and Death, what i have no points in and dont want to use. Not only because of RP.
    I picked the skills i like to play with.
    And also it's capped at 100 it's not Boost to 100. So i have to play until i am level 100.
    Ask me between 2020 and 2025 ;-)

Elwyn and liz_the_wiz like this.
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

it depends if its a cap or a "you will get x skills/stats" a cap would imply those who havent reached the cap still wouldnt have the same skills, also lets say they make it so any given skill is capped to 80, you could still have 80 in all skills.. it really does depend how its been implemented.. no point yet panicking and saying it would be bad until we know how and what it actually is.. even if chances are you're right

Stundorn likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

I mean....that's a entirely another issue of making all schools viable in balance. Which i believe that will all change with more updates.. There will always be someone with the counter to your build. I don't see how your build is any different than mine? I picked the skills I like to play with, not the best current cookie cutter build (I will learn how to optimize my playstyle and adapt). I'm playing heavy armor with bludgeon.. with magic support. I understand that isn't the best or most potent PvP build but i still want to kill and fight people, even if they are more powerful than me.

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

From what i understand is it lowers people above a certain level and raises people below a certain level. Making everyone "even" without putting any effort/time into the game (which that part i entirely don't agree with)

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

If it raises skills then I more than sit with you.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You pvpers are all fans of meritocracy talking about more effort = more reward.

I have another idea of gaming and competition in gaming.

So, play further, fight your fights i'm out with my daughter and dogs on bike ;-)

Have fun - Stun o7

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

No it just caps all skills and Adv Level to 100.
    It raises nothing.
    If you have skills beyond 100 or are higher than Adv Level 100 you are capped to 100. That's all.

Elwyn and liz_the_wiz like this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I hate levelling in the game and grind, I really enjoyed early builds of the game that were capped by how many skills you can use and they were all at the same level. It was important to pick the right skills and build the right deck for you. I am not fan of spending thousands of hours slaughtering the same NPCs over and over just to get extra hps to have an edge over others. I like when being better player gives you that. I have especially problems with this kind of game where bigger level difference means you cannot outdamage your opponent. Your stuns are shorter duration and come less often, you slow him less, you run out of focus first... I kind of can get on with levelling when it is part of natural peogression through story, you do quests and you get xp, I am not in favor of getting most xp for hundreds hours spent killing respawning enemies over and over again. If you got materials from grind to get better gear than I would not mind that much as long as the difference is nto extreme.

I like caps, for me the most obvious reward of spending in the game 1000 hours should be that you should know the game much better than someone spending there 10 hours. But it should not make you invincible. Also it would give players kind of "more time" to do what they enjoy rather than requiring them to grind adventurer xp, so they can kill npcs in order to gather and grind producer xp so they can level up crafting, so they can attend party and socialize.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Exactly, thing is most Computer gamers lack the ability of playing beyond competetive playing or hunting for titles, gear, something that they can show of and make them "better" compared to others. That's even true for a lot of pve players. And i wouldnt say i am totally not that way. I am proud to have the Shroud. I would say that beyond collecting and getting stronger there are a lot if other things in RPG or Adventures to do.
    But developers all over the world are just like a lot of Artist, they need to sell their products and people seem to like competition, collecting, leveling, getting more, growing and such more than "playing itself" therefore they implement such meritocracy Systems. Even for Shooters, where you need perks to get, better ironsights and whatever.
    These things are only there to satisfie the sort of effort = reward players.
    Sure you need some effort to feel satisfied, but there should always be a point when you are satisfied.
    Portalarium wants the player to find this for themself, but unfortunately their game has significant competetive Elements and therefore finding your personal border ask you to not compete or to compete with no end.
    That's like real life and thats what makes everything worse regarding to playing imho.
    Because then people are driven to not relax and play for fun, but more for competition.
    To me effort to get something is vital, but more important and more satisfiying is not the competition with others what allways leads to you need a looser who will be more or less disappointed and then want to strike back, Push the limits, gets stronger at any cost and thats often the point where others are forgotten, they all do it at cost of others, allways.
    Western Society. We strive at any costs and with that i mean weaker people.
    Same here with the incentives to get people into pvp.
    Same what dreadnought said, when he wrote with more people more are going to pvp scenes, just because of greed and those will be owned by others and so on.
    A story of suffering imho.
    nobody likes it, but the winners, like the Bankers and Brokers today. And why do they win, they put in more effort time and all that to win over others.
    Meritocracy.
    I dont understand what it is about gaming.
    Its not fun for me, i am more the cooperative player.
    When it s about competing with others i would like to have playerskill be the only significant factor.
    Then i grant everyone the reward he deserves.

10. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I some times stop to shoot at mobs that seem to be overwhelming a lower level person but I do try not to steal the kill, and I certainly would not follow someone around to steal lovel mobs with no real XP reward for someone much higher. In my case the desire is only to help. Now however I do tend to solo more in friends only mode....to avoid interfereing or being interfered with.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

Lmao. I can see the blue in your veins. If you need a hug ill be here for you. :D
    [​IMG]

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

This is exactly why i think a skill cap should be put in place... kinda forcing people to explore other areas of the game, develop player skill for multiple reasons, instead of endless grinding to have a edge. Sure put effort into farming to get resources/gear for a edge, but gear shouldn't be the determining factor in PvP or PvE, it should be knowing your surroundings, combat skill, counter play, communication between group members.

Putting a similar cap like 7x100 or 5x120 similar system(UO system obviously modified), I mean there kinda is a hardcap put in place I just dont think people want that much effort and feel its out of reach or just discouraged from people being so far ahead (honestly that's just human nature -greed- to be jealous of people being more advanced ie rich vs poor) personally it makes me want to play harder and compete/play harder, but some don't see it that way(casual players). I'm not a fan of everyone being able to do everything, crafters should be crafters, limiting adv skill pts would create more of a class feature for certain roles (even if they keep the same amount of skill pts) should be a limit of glyphs. IMO

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  13. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Congratulations, you have reached that point in your life when you realise that people suck.

Welcome to being middle aged.

3devious, liz_the_wiz and Stundorn like this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

What if we introduced, wait for it, A PURGE!!!! One day, every year, the game is MMO only and the whole world becomes open PvP and full loot? Lol...gimme a break. :rolleyes:

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

But you have a lot of people here who exactly dont want that. Also PvPers, most of them hardcore gamers, what want to endlessly grow and seem to like survival of - the player with the most time spending to grind - fittest :D
    To me thats the only effort - grind xp, skill, gold for equip and artifacts thats all - playerskill comes in way to late and is less important imo.

Sometimes i think Richard Gariott wants us to teach a lesson. And i for myself need to reflect myself 2 times until now to not get soaked into the race or the competition what is available here and end up frustrated. As i said it already happened 2 times and i need to change my focus.
    I will never be able to play that much, by private circumstances, by the ability to concentrate on repetetive things, by willing to play more than 2-3 hours a day or 10-20 a week (i actually play less than 10 a week i guess, although i had some more time and actually i need not to work, but i have plenty and interesting other things to do - writing on the forum for example :D - no just kidding - thats because i want to have it sure i cannot get disturbed while playing and thats only true in the evening, when all is done. I want to immerse and i dont want to die because my daughter needs me.
    So if then PvP or gaming or only this game is not for me and only for more pro gamer types with more time and passion - then i should quit gaming or dont play this game?
    No, i need to see what i am capable of and what i having fun doing in this game.
    I would like more, but need to recognize i cannot, because i am not the target audience - and that i say with some sorrow.
    Raising the measures is something i dont like - it caters to a small group of powergamers and all the others are somewhat locked off of content. I wouldnt care if poeple rush through a mediocre amount of content - not my fault if they only have gaming in their life and have finished it in 2 days, waht i need 6 month for.
    Sure they can say - not my fault that you are singleplarent and need to go to work and such.
    Thats the Point when i offer to meet in the middle!!!
    (dont tell others - i would like a game with fix stats and no levels - create your toon and then progress in the Storyline, progress in crafting or whatever, but no progress what makes you stronger or gives you an advantage in any form of player interaction/ competition - then we can start talking about meta play, roleplay and such... also to get involved into PVP. I am not only a Tavern roleplayer or a dancepartie socializer - my RP leads to adventuring and war.
    I like to rp with gamemechanics - but yeah there we are again. Because i cannot play 10-16hrs a day i am lost.
    And i think all these "systems" are artifically timesink methods to prevent people from recognizing the game has not that much content, no good game"play" -mechanics - which what you can "play" with .
    We all dont play, we more or less work on levels etc... Playing together in a RPG, as a Character/ Avatar/ Toon would be Roleplay as its the nature of RPGs, but what they all do is , filter out the math and RPG Elements from RPG and get people to optimize it.
    No "Roleplay" in the first place what leads to PvE and PvP - like it was once in UO someone told me so ( i only played on a RP Shard for a short time). People do not depend on each other, everybody can more or less skill everything - sure softcap and skill decay we have - but ask the players who have 100+ GM skills if that has stopped them? It maybe has stopped them playing, but i am sure some are working on their first 150ies and just dont die in EP1 content.
    How can you die if you can solo the Rise and kill a Dragon solo???

I actually dont want to level further after completing the story. why? to solo a boss? I would need to skill fire or a wepaon to kill a troll - but i dont want that and its not worth only to be able to kill a troll, same for a dragon, i would need to do things to solo him, i dont want and i ask me what i then should do in a group and all that.

This will not turn out to be that way - they need money and majority wants something different what i want.
    I want to play a Roleplaygame and play a role!
    Majority want achievements, levels, hoard items and gear and stuff. Big difference.

You cannot have fun playing poker without money - but you can have fun playing cards without money!
    Creating a cardgame you have to consider where the fun comes from - painting ones face black or empty their wallets ;)

You cannot have fun playing football without a goal and a result who has won.
    but you can play with a ball, shooting on goals and all have won, because they had fun.

I dont know how to create games and how a game could please me, i even dont know how to descibe it exactly, nor in english (obvously not my mother language) , neither in german - if i could i would create it.

Only one more thing to say i wrote up in these forums more than one time.
    I GM'd a lot of Pen and Paper Parties.
    The most fun for all of us were the groups that dont care about XP and Loot, it was the groups that care about playing and having fun together.
    The Groups that care more about XP and Loot than about Story, interactions, riddles an such were mostly lame and luckily rare.
    The best battles i fought in larps were those were we both dont want to win, but show an epic fight and die like a hero - and not to own the other and keep saying it for the next days -.-

You know what i want to say???

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

hahaha - great :D

17. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Is there a rule or guideline that says PvP people have to be rude crude and socially unacceptable out of game too? or are they RPing in and out of game?

IM all for them being able to play the way they want to but they are not the only types of players putting massive amounts of time into this game, I am a Never PvPer when it comes to RPGs because that is not my thing. I enjoy working together to build a fun environment, not an anarchist who wants to tear everyone else down.

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I ran a PvP guild for a bit in another game, and the game did not stop after playing. We engaged in covert operations, forum provocation, everything. But it was only against other PvP groups as they did the same things as well. It was quite fun.

19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I do both but I tend to die alot while mining and working :D

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

We had that.
    :p
    There was a bug in one release before persistance when ALL outlander estates (POT) was flagged PVP...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.