Will you explore the mainland during the Alpha/Beta?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by smack, Dec 11, 2013.

?

Will you explore the mainland during the Alpha/Beta?

1. No - I don't want to spoil the game so I will not leave The Hidden Vale

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Yes - I want to explore and see as much as possible before the game launches

98 vote(s)
    78.4%
  3. Other - explain below!

12 vote(s)
    9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

If we get the opportunity to explore the mainland during the Alpha or Beta, will you leave The Hidden Vale?

There are some folks that don't want any aspect of the game spoiled but would still like to test the game client out and do some playtesting of the various core systems in the game. But they don't want the main story line spoiled for them and want to reserve as much of that as possible to when the game actually launches.

With the upcoming Alpha/Beta releases (after the Early Releases), we might just get the opportunity to explore the actual mainland itself too.

I'm actually torn on this. I love the story and map reveals, but that's just backstory and overview of the lands we'll explore. I'm not sure if I actually want to do that and might just stick to The Hidden Vale.

2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I might explore more that the Hidden Vale if it's available, but I may avoid the storyline if possible so I don't wreck it. Nothing worse than burning out on a game prior to release.

3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I plan on exploring anything we are given access to.

Cordelayne, Sophi, Moonshadow and 2 others like this.
  4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

It is in my genes...I MUST explore :) Every nook and cranny, turn over every stone, tickle every dragon and so forth.

Sophi, Soleidad, Margard and 2 others like this.
  5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I find people tend to do some combination of:
    1) Blitz to end game
    2) Screw the content and PvP
    3) Plan so they can optimize. e.g. best farming spots, raid spawns, PvP tricks (ambush spots, mobility between locations, etc.)
    4) Replay every fork e.g. try different class / build choices
    5) Practice anything twitch based (combat, jumping puzzles, etc.)

Generally with a guild, you have lots of different personalities so the labor divides up pretty well. I'm usually the person with all character slots filled trying out different things. I'm guessing that this game will have you be able to float between classes and whatever faction system gets put into the game. So the things I try really really had to avoid (making a bad choice in the first 5 minutes, which you're stuck with forever) may not even happen with this game.

To the OP, it's unlikely that I'd explore content just for the purpose of exploring content. It's only interesting to me if it affects some early choice.

CrimsonBinome and Time Lord like this.
  6. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Agreed!!!

And how will I know where to land rush if I dont explore!!!

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

[​IMG]

"See that there mountain, some day I'm gonna climb that mountain"

8. smack

smack Avatar

That was one of the fun parts of exploring Skyrim. Jumping around and climbing the highest peaks you can and discovering sooo many cool things. I don't know if we'll ever have that same feeling in these "walled gardens" that are scenes/instances.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya, I hear ya, we will have to make the best of what it is though! I really think in time it will be very appealing to explore.

Time Lord, majoria70 and smack like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Wow, so only one other person would consider never leaving The Hidden Vale! Not a lot of votes overall though...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I plan on exploring the mainland mostly out of curiosity ( I enjoy exploring ), but also to play test to see what may be broken.

Edit: I wonder how I missed this thread.

12. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

are you crazy? I plan on playing with character creation till the game launches.

13. ginval

ginval Avatar

I would love to get out there to explore and see what kind of trouble I could get into. Especially since I'll get a do-over after every wipe. R1 just woke up my appetite for more.

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

Ill explore some, but would prefer that the actual questing and storyline that is accessible is limited. Id like to be able to go through the first couple quests, but then be given a cutoff point where I get some kind of cliffhanging conclusion. Kinda like back many years ago when I was a child and got my first PS1, I played resident evil 2 on the demo disc that came with it. I had a blast, then I get to a point where your in chris redfield's office and a gunshot goes off almost hitting and ada wong is right there! This isnt what happens when you get this far in the actual release of the game, but it was a darn good cliffhanger scenario I think! Be nice to have something like that in SotA.
    But... as "testers" we are kinda suppose to see everything so that we can give our useful input right?

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well if they implement wilderness housing you can bet people will be exploring for wilderness plots. I know I will be if it is possible.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Lord Melvek

Lord Melvek Avatar

I will explore everything that will be available to test except the main storyline that I will keep for lauch day.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am an explorer by nature, I WILL explore. Now, where I go exploring is up in the air.

First and foremost I will be running through anything on the list for the current R#. I want to make sure I hit those things for feed back purposes. But then I will kick in my find and break things mode.

In R1 I hit every inch of all invisible walls to see if I could break through. I fell through the terrain, landed on the water plain below the town, and looked up at all the buildings to see if there was anything hidden.

In the install folders there was is a list of monsters: DragonBlue, DragonBugBlue, Koblod, LicheKing, Satyr, Skeleton1-6, Spider1-3. No doubt, I was looking for them, lol.

18. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I was just thinking of this same topic this morning and it reminded me of the UO offline demo that allowed you to explore Ocllo and experience a lot of the gameplay elements without paying for a sub or being online. This was back when I still had dial up so the offline portion definitely interested me.

I think I am of the same mindset as Smack, I don't want the "main land" spoiled until the game is ready for me to experience that part of the world, whether that's Beta or not until final release I don't know but I think the hidden vale will have MORE than enough for me to explore during Alpha/Beta.

*Nostalgia Alert*

http://uodemo.uo98.org/index.php?title=UO:98

smack likes this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is PRICELESS! You have me rolling! :) Thanks Kuno!

Time Lord and Kuno Brauer like this.
  20. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

For me it's about testing. I want to test the systems as they provide them for us, to help make the game as good as possible out the door. I wouldn't consider myself a good tester unless I tested as much as I can, if that takes me to the mainland or where ever else they provide access to, so be it. I'm certain they won't reveal anything pertinent that they didn't intend to reveal. Considering how secretive they've been thus far, I'm confident they won't include major aspects of the plot or story that they want people to experience for the first time at launch..

Sir Cabirus and smack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.