World immersion in Pokemon

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by redfish, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Something I've really enjoyed about the Pokemon games is that even though they're really simple games, with not a whole deal of realism, there's a lot of nice little touches in the world that nonetheless make you feel like the world is a real place.

Some of these things aren't even in SotA yet!

For example,

[​IMG]
    Reflections in the water and splashes through rain puddles. We don't have reflections or splashes when we jump in water. Mirrors as decorative objects in your house would also be nice! Of course, some water will naturally be more opaque and muddy.

[​IMG]
    Footprints in the sand and the waves coming in and receding at the beach.

And of course, we have shadows, but I just think its really neat all the small finishing touches they put in the game,
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite parts of Path of Exile is the shore, because the water comes in and recedes, and you have battles in the water,

I assume some of these things are coming, since the devs said at some point they were working on improving the water. But I just wanted to make this post to point out how the small touches make a big difference.

2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I don't know man, it's real tough for me to suspend my disbelief for a world where random children walk around with dragons that shoot laser beams as pets and nobody thinks this is potentially really dangerous. :p

Duchess Wyldemane and Atogrim like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Darkstarr recently said that they are waiting for a Unity update to implement better water. Also a Unity update should solve a problem with the shadows in the game.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Wasn't that over a year ago? Or was there another post....?

Atogrim likes this.
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yes posted in Dev+ area about Unity upgrade in beta 5.2

Duchess Wyldemane and Atogrim like this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I wanted to come back to this thread because up until now I haven't been playing R21 enough to see the weather effects.

The rain is really nice, but it would be nice also if, like in the above example, certain terrain allowed puddles to form, which lasted a bit even after the rain stopped. Muddy ground could also pick up tracks / footprints, just like sand on the beach, or snow-covered ground. Rain would of course effect certain types of magic, like lightning, and so would a puddle.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You didn't find the rain splashes a bit excessive?

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I guess so, and the rain is a bit white too. I think they could go further in making it look real.

9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Anyone play H1Z1? I think the rain effect they have is really nice although far from perfect but a lot closer than what we have in SotA.
    Now this could be two completely different areas as H1Z1 is primarily first person and sota third.... i dont know I dont make games i just play them :p
    that being said the rain we have now is 100% better than the nonexistence before and I actually like it quite a bit, no bashing here :D

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I have it but haven't played it much....

11. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

weather only came into H1Z1 couple months back you should go check it out.
    They are actually doing continuous noticeable updates now which i felt they were lacking when I first joined.
    Still a bunch of cheaters though and the community is the opposite of this one :D ah I lost track this was only about their weather animations :p

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

Just as long as there is an option for a really low graphics option everythings cool. If theres too much added with graphics and such I don't know if my puny amount of computer power will handle it... *gulp* Im just barely scraping by with what I got. I just got back to playing this again since like release 12 or so! =O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.