Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

/zone command

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Musaab Osman, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

TBH if there's no way to recall/zone around the world to my home and to people I enjoy playing with, and I have to walk everywhere, I won't be playing. I'm assuming the devs aren't that daft.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There is the gates and most like a mark recall spell...

I really dislike it when people say that if they don't do this I will quit posts, it doesn't improve the arguement.

Filthy Peasant and Morkul like this.
  3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

maybe hiring a drake taxi service to get to your friends, once you are grouped.. at a cost of course..

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

If there is mark/recall, and it's implemented properly, then I'd be happy. That would be better than /zone and /home actually.

Tahru and Noctiflora like this.
  5. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

mark/recall will probably be pretty high levels spells, just as in UO

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

In UO Mark is sorta high (6th level spell) but recall is low/mid (4th level spell). I forget the numbers but you could recall with something like 30-40 magery.

It made the world so much more interesting, vs. spending all your time running through boring scenery. People had rune libraries with many hundreds of places marked, the places you could visit was nearly endless it seemed. Running to those places (or having to SAIL to them in many cases) would have really hurt the game for most people IMO.

Royce_Templer and Dorham Isycle like this.
  7. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Off topic, I know, but to be fair....when a person says that, it's generally just a statement about the kind of game they are willing or unwilling to play which I think can be useful info for devs to know. Whether they say it or not, everyone has something that if part of a game, they won't play the game. Not coming out and saying it doesn't change that except that the devs won't be made aware of it nor have an accurate feel for the overall temper of the community. And most people aren't under any illusions that the statement will sway the devs. It's just a part of the conversation and everyone has different ways of expressing themselves. How else should that particular sentiment be expressed?

Ok, you guys go back to the topic. :) I'm just rattling off thoughts with my coffee. Don't mind me.

Budner likes this.
  8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I agree. It's not about throwing temper tantrums. It's about stating facts. Some features make games unplayable for some people. I focus heavily on freedom of movement - these issues are game-makers, or game-wreckers, for me (and probably others). Random encounters, encumbrance, zoning, instancing, overland map, death screens, death effects, non-global banking, skill trainers, mark/recall - these all affect playability in dramatic ways. There are reasons for all of them. Some of them need serious tweaking. Most are controversial with a wide spectrum of views among the player base. Generally speaking I prefer to live without features that impair my ability to move freely around the world. I don't like sitting around and waiting, and wasting time, and being bored, and having the game rule my actions (instead of the other way around) when I play. Politcally, in a gaming sense, I'm a libertarian. Keep your rules to yourself, give the people freedom of choice, freedom of movement, freedom from as many rules and regulations as possible while still preserving the core game.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is a niche game, and it is supposed to not be a landholding game. I wonder why people want to play this game if they want to make it into a different game. There are tons of games out there with easy travel and vendors to go to, Please don't ruin Shroud because its to hard or boring for you when others want it to be this way, as it is not boring, but immersive. The overland map and scenes that pull you in are designed that way for the game. If you like it or not, thats why many people have pledged for this game. I guess its possible that many pledged for this game to change it into another game but why?

10. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Kal Ort Por - Recall, you needed 24 mager to even have a chance to cast
    Mark was over 50% magery.
    Most none mages didn't care to learn that, used scrolls instead.

I hope there will be some kind of mark/recall system but I hope it will be more rare than in UO. It's about the journey...

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

When you're a kid, you're sitting in the back of the car saying "are we there yet?". Because you're bored with the journey. I did it. You did it. My kids do it. Hopefully you didn't puke up your Delaware punch driving through some winding road. It's the way of the world. It is humorous and glorious. But it is tedious. And we don't have to do this in SotA.

In SotA, we don't have to sit in the back of the station wagon saying "are we there yet". We can actually just go to where we want to go, quickly, if the devs will design the game that way.

I mean, how many of you would actually choose to go through security and the boarding process and sit in an airplane for 3-4-5-6-or more hours to get to the destination, if we could pay the same airfare to actually just get to the destination more or less immediately. Probably 99% of you, if you're being honest.

Take us to the destination. Take us to the fun. Don't make us sit in the back of the station wagon or the cattle car or an airplane to force "realism" into this game which is splendid in most other respects.

And if you like to sit in the station wagon, the airplane, you can still do that. Some of us will get there fast, and some of us will get there slow. Give us the choice.

Royce_Templer likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think this states a good case for instant gratification. I think based on this logic we should not have any roads, and put all the towns side by side, or even just have one big town. Then from a context list we can drop down and click on any destination in the city because heaven forbid we might get trapped and have to talk to some one. Lets just get where where going, do what we need to do, and go home. Then we can log into the next game and do it all over again. We got to keep up with the jones's right?

13. smack

smack Avatar

You make the journey itself fun. The game in its current state isn't doing that...yet. So let's hear some creative ideas to make it fun? :)

Budner likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Honest reply, Budner?

When I was a kid, it was a lot of fun going on an airplane, and also playing around in the hotel -- just as much fun as the vacation itself. A car ride could be fun, too.. of course, once either a plane ride or car ride took over two hours, yes, it would start to get boring, because it was more of the same. But travel time in this game is never going to be two hours; its going to be at most a few minutes.

I expect the travelling in the game to be fun, too, and if it isn't fun, I'm going to keep on pushing suggestions on the forum on how it could be made more fun.

But keep in mind I don't disagree with you that there can be some mechanism for fast travel at a cost or on a cooldown. So we aren't at 180 degree opposites on this, and hopefully the final game will be made fun for everyone.

Morkul and smack like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I was thinking that when I read his post...the journey should be fun, not just the destination.

I love road trips for instance...driving through the mountains are really cool.

I really don't want a world of pull down menus and jump to's.

Morkul likes this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

OK. I love road trips too. I driven my kids to Disney World from Virginia, twice, instead of flying, up to 17 hours at a stretch. I grew up driving from Texas to Colorado, 24 hours or more drive time. I'm with you.

But this isn't RL when your 6-year-old is in love with Donald Duck and a Motel 6 with a color TV set is a perk, or the Rockies loom large and you see snow for the first time.

We're adults. Some of us anyway. So tell me how, the 12th time you've walked from Owl's Head to Braemar, and you're thrust into your 25th encounter with small brown spiders, with dozens/hundreds of loading screens across those many journeys, and there's nothing new to see, you're gonna keep that road trip fresh for the kids? Because the kids .... are us.

Let's not let RL "Wonder Years" nostalgia cloud the reality of SotA gameplay. I want to play this game to escape, not do a bunch of repetitive boring crap and watch screens loading, that adds nada and in fact detracts from my playing experience.

Give those who want to avoid such drudgery the option to avoid it. It's not like we have to agree on whether we like these things. Just let us have a choice. Let as many of us as possible choose the playstyle we favor.

Royce_Templer likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Unfortunately, that doesn't really allow for much balancing, so I seriously doubt that will happen.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Budner,

If you're just asking my personal view... the map wouldn't on its own get boring any sooner than any of the other content in the game. There's nothing fun about grinding for the 300th time, or selling loot to vendors for the 300th time. Visiting the same theme park over and over isn't any more interesting than doing the same road trip over and over. It does break up the monotony of that, though and structure the game more broadly. And at least it's a little less predictable.

Budner likes this.
  19. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

They seem to be going to great lengths to limit the amount you can carry, have banks regional creating local economies to require travel back and forth. The travel map will contain random and patrolling encounters and certain passes will be controlled by different factions and may need to be re-taken in order to pass through.

It really doesn't sound like the overall inherent design of the game fits with a "just teleport wherever" function.

Morkul, Tahru and rune_74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.