Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Move speed change is still bad

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by Despothes2, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I had originally thought that the movement speed change was only for spell and artifact effects, but after testing this is DOES appear to also affect passive skills like Swiftness, and probably masterworks as well. This does make it very difficult to avoid damage.

I'd be fine reducing active glyph and artifact effects by 50%; there is plenty of precedent for this. But passive effects are too far. Roll those back, and I think we will be in a good place @Chris.

StarLord likes this.
  2. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

@Chris higher leveled archers can already pull large amount of threat as it is. While an increase to their damage is probably cool and has merit, has anyone thought of reworking how taunt works so that it can actually hold hate. Also noting that archers should probably refrain from going “ham” in harder group content that a tank would be needed, sometimes this message isn’t received by everyone very well.

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I always thought that was the point, the user's strength has nothing to do with how hard a crossbow fires. I thought the addition of a strength bonus to the Crossbow of Accuracy was the benefit it got for being an artifact, as otherwise it is leagues behind an entry level crafted version.

MrBlight likes this.
  4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Alternatively, have ranged specialization eventually increase the hit range for archers. If we could hit 2 enemies instead if one (and thus actually crowd control more than a couple enemies and do actual damage), we would be nearly as effective as melee. Then the speed isn't nearly as important.

StarLord likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sweet! Also, thanks for the fix to Multi Shot.

Chris and Montaigne like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Sorry if I was a bit lazy there but your text was within a quote and I couldn't cut & paste..I had to edit and type.. but really all I needed was for you to know what I was replying to,

In either case, a couple of further points.

1: Just because they don't respond personally to every post doesn't mean they're being read... Do you have time to respond to every post made? I'd find it unlikely.
    2: Listening and paying attention (and we're generalizing here) is not the same thing as agreeing..
    3: but more to the point.. getting frustrated at not hearing what you want in a prompt manner is no excuse for making disrespectful posts. Losing your cool doesn't make it ok.
    4: The fact the Chris took the time to post in this thread.. on a Sunday no less.. proves they do pay attention.

StarLord, Montaigne and Chris like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Ooh, I really love it when players accuse me of not playing the game and then piles on with suggestions for how to manage our team to best undo my changes. Somehow you think those comments are useful?

Guys, here is the reality. Movement speeds were too fast. PERIOD. They were CRAZY a few releases ago before I limited it to 2 speed buffs. The faster players are moving the equivalent of 35 MPH. It breaks the game for those with significant ping times. It was never intended. It makes it impossible to have AIs that look good and have a chance. Feel free to suggest how you would like me to lower them if you want but the endless ranting of "You changed something that made us less powerful so you suck and don't play" is not useful. I do play and I'm trying to make the game more balanced and you know that so please stop it.

If you have ideas, send them to me in private messages as rage threads like this are useless, and yes, will just end up getting deleted and people end up trying to be snarky and nasty for the sake of spectacle.

Dex has always been a big part of ranged but as crit chance. I don't want to increase crit chance.

8. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Crit chance seems really low with high Dex and feels the same for melee and Ranged. Dex does not seem to have any real value for Ranged. You said it was dex/400 for ranged but really looks/feels like dex/4000.

Also.... remember crit chance = fun, at least imo. For me, ranged is fun with charged shots. With the lower crit chance we have nowadays, using charged attacks is hard to justify.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    StarLord and Montaigne like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hm. Good point, it'd be weird (and probably overpowered) for Dex to affect it in two ways.

10. Despothes2

Despothes2 Avatar

Archery currently has the only tier 3 components that are obtainable and worth using. Torc'dawl components for bludgeon/polearm are laughably time consuming to get, and the components I know of for swords are laughably bad stat wise. Dex bonus for damage would be more beneficial vs strength - archers don't build for strength so it would probably not be as beneficial as you think.

Still would like to hear what you think of the risk vs reward of PvE content. For a lot of people it's pretty difficult to break even, much less make a profit. The risk and difficulty has been increased release after release, but the placeholder loot still remains. We have plates and crap now I guess. I know your rebuttal will probably be 'but muh artifacts and supply bundles' but the economy can only support so much of that. Other than a few artifacts, they are impossible to sell to anyone but an NPC vendor, and the drop rates are pretty low.

So it's too unrealistic that people were moving fast? What about all the other magic avatars can do, like fireballs and lightning? How does someone else moving too fast break the game for me, as a player with high ping? I don't think I've ever heard a single person with high ping complain about someone else move fast, or being able to move fast themselves. Normalizing everyone's experience for PvP doesn't sound like a good idea if that's what you're going for. You also said something about being able to kill stuff with 'no risk,' so I am kind of confused about your intentions here.

This game is a huge grind where you repeat the same thing over and over and over. It's gotta be difficult to try and make every encounter meaningful and engaging in this kind of grind style game. In some other games, a difficult fight results in a reward worthy of the fight. This is mostly not true here. Mongbat loot from everything. You continue to make things more difficult without changing anything on the other end of the ledger. If players get the same or less reward for more effort month after month, what motivates them to continue?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    TheGrinch likes this.
  11. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

People were getting away with murder; in the meantime until better balance is found between equipment/encumbrance/skills and weapon; I approve of the changes to movement speed in combat.
    Good nurf for jump on pres change.

[​IMG]

hammadowna likes this.
  12. Shaylee

Shaylee Avatar

Ooh, I really love it when players accuse me of not playing the game and then piles on with suggestions for how to manage our team to best undo my changes. Somehow you think those comments are useful?

You are right Chris. I apologize for this - I spoke out of frustration. Although I do believe your team (please note, I said TEAM... not you specifically) would benefit greatly from a Change Management Approach, be that as it may, this was not the correct place to make that suggestion, and should not have been made as a stand out separate thread.

Guys, here is the reality. Movement speeds were too fast. PERIOD. They were CRAZY a few releases ago before I limited it to 2 speed buffs. The faster players are moving the equivalent of 35 MPH. It breaks the game for those with significant ping times. It was never intended. Feel free to suggest how you would like me to lower them if you want but the endless ranting of "You changed something that made us less powerful so you suck and don't play" is not useful. I do play and I'm trying to make the game more balanced and you know that so please stop it.

Yes, movement speeds may have been fast, but... a reduction that large; was too much. Start with a smaller reduction and build on that rather than the knee jerk reaction of making an such an extreme adjustment. Last time I wrote my suggestions in the forums the whole thread was removed. I'm not accusing you of not playing at all, what I am saying, is that I doubt you play as frequently as you would have us believe you do, because if you did, you would not make the changes you have made, with no way to back out of them - to me that just doesn't make good ITIL sense. But MORE on point is the fact that you seem to be unwilling to admit that you may have overdone it. If you are offended by this comment, then again, I apologize for ruffling your feathers.

TheGrinch likes this.
  13. Shaylee

Shaylee Avatar

I have read your comments. You could have let it go and stopped the comments, the fact that you felt it necessary to respond for Chris tells me you want to keep it going. so... Stop Trolling -- All further comments will be ignored, you're not worth my time.

Sir_Hemlock and TheGrinch like this.
  14. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Bowen isn't the problem here, you are. You have already made yourself look silly in this thread by criticising Chris, then apologising but then continuing to give him advice on how to manage his team when it is clear you have no understanding of tact. Please give it a rest.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    hammadowna likes this.
  15. Shaylee

Shaylee Avatar

This message was to Bowen, not Chris. Get your facts straight. After the first post, I did not offer advice, I made a statement. You don't like what I said, by all means feel free to ignore me -- As I will you.

TheGrinch likes this.
  16. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Chris I think what a lot of folks are thinking , is to have Light Armor users take less of a hit from this - since that choice of armor/playstyle is akin to movement speed / not getting hit in the first place - the folks wearing heavy armor and using fleet flute to circumvent that - maybe focus there more?

Or possibly revert and : have the fleet flute’s bonus not apply to combat, and similarly dash can only be used out of combat also?

TheGrinch likes this.
  17. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

I agree with the first part of this... I disagree with the second part, the fleet flute is designed to be used for attacks (+10 attack speed) and I disagree with your statement that dash should only be used out of combat. What good would dash be at that point? It cannot be used on the over-land map. So basically I wasted millions of XP in a skill that will then allow me to run fast through the dance parties.. YAY! /sarcasm

18. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

Thanks!

Not sure how I feel about the strength bonus as it will have a higher effect on heavy armor chest wearers vs light armor but I can admit I have a bias against them in the first place.

one of the things that was mentioned long ago was making different ammo types and this would help a lot. with us having quivers now this is an easy in theory solution.

make quivers bags that hold only arrows and they take priority over the rest of inventory when equipped.

when more than one type of arrow is in the quiver it randomly picks one for each shot?

honestly we don't even need to have more than one type of arrow in each quiver and can change equips easily enough.

posion arrows 1-5% chance to poison crafted in batches it arrows and a poison potion

stun arrows 1-5% chance to stun for 1-2 sec crafted in batches

piercing arrows % to avoid armor

Sticky arrows % chance to slow

exploding/fire arrow % chance to inflame

heavy arrow more dmg

light arrows more attack speed

purifying arrows % chance to remove buffs or block buff effects for x sec

cluster arrow (kobold tech) advanced arrow head that has a chance to split and hit multi targets for less dmg

serrated arrow % to cause bleed

barbed arrow % chance to cause heal debuff

lots more can be created or refined that would add a lot of choice to archers.

tie the % chance of effect to ranged spec so to get a decent chance of proc would have to invest in ranged above just using a bow. player would have to make a choice and would avoid some of the flavor of the month?

my only worry would be cost. while they would need to cost much more than standard arrows with out the ability to change on the fly in combat the price should be around 3-5x vendor arrows to make with current mat prices? not sure. but would be a challenge to make them expensive enough to effect thought but not to expensive to use in the right time and place.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Heavy armor wearers do not get the speed bonuses that the light armor wearers get, especially attack speed bonuses.

This would require more cost and time in preparation. Do you really want more of that just to be able to go out and do a thing?

20. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

as I said I have a bias… :p

yeah I don't mind I think that kinda prep work is fun. like gathering stuff to make potions, foods, and anything else I want to craft to use or sell.

it gives the player the chance to make small easily achievable goals on a semi regular time frame keeping them engaged with the game world. be it the gathering of the mats to craft or sell or the buying of the results.

I am talking about making 500 arrows per craft/batch btw not 1 so not a time sink to make a few days worth of arrows

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.