Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Changes

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I knew from the start we would move one hex at a time....that's it. None of this free running around that people seem to think it would be.

Now, obviously people have different opinions on the art. Either way it works for me. I wouldn't mind them throwing on some 3d art similar to what was shown before just to get people to see the difference at least...realistically they should be able to do that with very little work.

tradyblix likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah. I like the map style.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2d cutout popups tho... that could be done in 3d maybe ? still in a cloth map style.

The main problem with the map is that why do we move slowly and not hex by hex ? There's no reason for that, and if there's not going to be random encounters, why can't we just jump to any hex, why is there any movement.

That's the main thing I think needs to be resolved, not the art style.

The roosterteeth overworld was the ugliest thing about this project. I hated that thing. It looks terrible. It still looks terrible.

It's kind of amusing to me that someone would say that they'd show that RTX overworld map off to a friend lol... no way.. they'd laugh at you !

No idea why people think it's so awesome, there was nothing ultima about it.

At least the current map has a ton of runic and some nice animations...

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Pretty sure its because time is passing real time and they dont want travel to be instant in terms of the game time.

tradyblix likes this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Right, well then we really need to have danger in the way of stuff on the map that can get you and suck you into an instance, otherwise it's supremely boring.

I think this is the plan, but I hope we see this in R6

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't find it so boring. But I'm used to playing a lot of old DOS games with this type of movement.... Darklands, Pirates! , etc.

At any rate, we'll be able to get mounts, which should enable faster travel.

Fox Cunning, Eriador and tradyblix like this.
  6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Try to travel using the coconuts, maybe...

tradyblix likes this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I sincerely hope they planon implementing random encounters, Night/day differences, LOS, fog of war etc to the map to make it more immersive.

I would also like the option of setting up a camp in any wilderness camp.

tradyblix likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah if we see campfires that are not lit let us light the campfire for heaven sake !

we can set our enemies on fire and they seem to burn forever but we can't light campfires and hole up yet

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

And for other players to be able to see your campfire from the overland map ? :))

tradyblix likes this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hole up and camp would be great. It always had a great atmosphere in the old Ultimas when you sat around a campfire with your companions and Iolo was playing the lute.
    But I think it could be difficult to implement as there is no way to sleep in a multiplayer game - at least not with a fast forward function like in single player games. So if you would hole up it would only be for a short time in gametime and not to wait until it is day. But of course it would still be cool and an interesting way to recover some health.

docdoom77 and tradyblix like this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think this could be handledby a campfire icon on the map when you are within 1 hex of it....you could then click on it and see how many camps are setup there....that way it doesn't get so cluttered.

tradyblix likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This could be where you adjust inventory along with other items(can't think of anything esle...I'm sure someone can)

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I didnt pledge at KS and the reason being was the overland map shown was terrible as you say. I do much prefer this present direction than that personally.
    Also i dont see any reason for having a fog on undiscovered areas, it will only be used once and i think if not done well looks cheap. Id much prefer just a plain cloth map with no terrain just the outline of the world, no towns or anything until you have discovered them, and then they get drawn in bit by bit.

Aegis159, Mishri, jiirc and 1 other person like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Set up a campfire for cooking or brewing... eat your food.. rest and heal your wounds... set up a tanning rack and do other portable crafting... sit and plan a raid with your friends or enjoy music... form a perimeter/safe zone to scare off wild animals... simply wait through the night until it gets bright so you don't waste torches... many possibilities....

Margard, monxter and tradyblix like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

All of those things could require crafted items to be useable....oh this is getting some good ideas rolling.

I also agree fog of war is a bad idea...not drawn in map with nothing but basic info sounds great.

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yeah there are certain really nostalgic things about Ultima and the campfire and Iolo lute playing is one of them...

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If we do not buy something they present, always keep in mind that it is even harder to confince potential new customers. If i read comments on other gamesites they judge far more because of visual presentation then we do with our insights. Strange but tru: The comments on german gamesites tended to be far more optimistic.

I am looking forward to see how the puplic will comment on the overland map. The important new backers with the fresh money.
    Have to check if the did present the new cloath map style on some gamesites yet.

18. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Even faster than this? :eek: I can cross a hex in less than a second.
    Now I don't remember exactly how many square kilometers a hex is, but I think we are currently traveling at something like 1000 Km per second...

Khloec likes this.
  19. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I would not mind Cartography skill (Not sure what it would actually do, with this kind of map. Enable you to mark friends map with things you have discovered?) and would like to see that not everything is shown immediately. Also own notes would be fun, as it would evoke feeling that this is physical map in your pocket.

Scout skill to enable good movement speed in woods / swampy areas, and to avoid encounters.

Roads should have reasonable travel rate, increased by use of horse. Using horse in woods with out road should decrease movement speed, let alone trying to cross swampy area with heavily packed horse.

Just common sense basically, with little bit help from characters skills.

But I do like this more than the 1st pass, going better direction.

Margard and monxter like this.
  20. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

The seminal point which keeps permeating here is what I tried to summarize: We simply don't have, at all, the dual-scale world originally envisioned and demoed. Folks keep saying "its a nice map" (I think so too) with many constructive suggestions, but for me that skirts the real issue: Its a map, to the total absence of the "2nd scale", or overland view as we've frequently named it.

The current "map" in fact fails as a map for me in that while it looks like a nice map, its trying to be something else and ultimately failing: it is NOT an overland view. It is zoomed out too far and does not (and cannot in its current iteration) contain enough detail to make it "playable" as a 2nd scale/overland view should (even if it were 3D).

Personally I am disappointed in the direction this whole facet has taken and I fear it is way too far gone for any sort of fundamental change. They have been at it for just over 12 months and (allegedly) have just 6 months left till prime time. The "design" stage is so far behind us its not even funny. But I'll talk more on that in a broader feedback thread in the interest of keeping this one focused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.