Eating Our Friends RG talked about this...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I remember encountering the children in 'Hytloth in Ultima V' in around 1990 I believe, and I thought it was genius. I suspected it was deliberate and it was brilliant. I understood its significance immediately, and it was the most profound and powerful moment I have had in a game.

There were other powerful moments in the series, but that one really resonated within me.

Considering everything our TV screens have desensitized us to over the past 30 years I don't consider cannibalism and body part markets controversial in a video game in 2014.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So let me see if I have this right. It's ok because of 30 years of desensitizing.. so you then you recognize that without the desensitizing it wouldn't be ok? Yet you apparently have no issue with the desensitizing itself.

Basically.. it's ok because everyone else is doing it is what I'm getting here.

3. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

It's okay because the character design needs to have VARIETY.

I skinned a person once in UO. I had been skinning a rabbit and thought to myself, "Surely they didn't?" I walked up to a corpse that I found-- checked for LOOT!!! Then clicked the skinning knife and was horrified at what I had done. "Oh YES!!! They Did".

SANDBOX!!!

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If you're referring to RP.. your character's personality comes from you.. not the game. If variety was justification then you could justify anything. It doesn't matter how you dress up the argument.. "I want" is still "I want"

5. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

I don't want it for myself!!! I'm to handsome to be a CANNIBAL!!! Sorry ladies!!!

I agree!!! Several players do want the option to be available.

Even the players who don't want it-- WANT IT!!! (pelvic thrust for emphasis).

6. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Completely off topic, but... Eli makes me think of Lord Flashheart. Woof!!! :D

7. Beli

Beli Avatar

My oh my Time Lord, What a thread you have started here, I have got much entertainment from it the past week while I await R6, and to think how this all started from contraband.:)

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The best shot. The best sailor. The best kisser in the kingdom. heh

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

10. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

You PROMISED not to tell!!!

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I was referring to Flasheart. It's a line from earlier in the episode.

12. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Eli's new sig? ;)

There's even cannibalism hinted at in that video so I guess it's not entirely off-topic... "... she likes the taste of a MAN'S tonsils!!" ;)

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

heheh lofty goals to aspire to to be sure but does he feel more comfy in a dress?

14. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

It is to me extraordinary that this thread has gone on this long. When I saw the first couple posts I seriously thought this was nothing more than a farce, not an actual game play mechanic/feature discussion.

I have no interest in engaging with any of the proponents but I would be remiss if I did not at least post once to simply say I think its stupid, plain and simple.

I have come to hate the word "immersion" because it seems to have become an excuse for, literally, anything. Folks, SANITY CHECK: this is just a frieeking game! It is not reality. It does not, and should not, reflect reality in every possible minute detail. It is a constructed gaming environment with very deliberate boundaries and mechanisms, and man does this cross one for me. Thats not an environment I want to play in. Whats next? ****? Should we provide a mechanic for that in game?!? Of course not! The line has to be drawn somewhere and for me this topic is over that line by a mile.

15. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Well some people find cannibalism as offensive as **** so I think it is fair to mention it, Sunsanvil. Some people even equivocate nonconsensual PvP with things like that. We're really just seeing where the line is and kind of asking Portalarium to tell us that. Wouldn't you rather know what the company you gave a whole crap pile of money to plans to do? Lord British thinks it might be fun, DarkStarr thinks it's nasty. They're going to come to terms and smack us all across the back of the head at some point. I just think it's interesting to see what people have to say about it.

16. selbie

selbie Avatar

It sucks they are so busy with R6. I hope they can talk about it some more in a dev chat session...after the flames of R6 have been extinguished :p

17. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I have about 9 pages of game mechanics related to cannibalism typed up. I've been floating it around to other backers, who have in turn voiced their support, constructive criticism, and submitted original ideas of their own.

The document will hopefully be completed and forwarded to the Devs by tonight, perhaps tomorrow...

... and that's just for implementing cannibalism. I haven't even touched on crafting possibilities, etc. yet.

*shrugs*

I see it as a phenomenal option for neutral-/evil-aligned quest routes.

18. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

It's called a KILT!!! and that coconut sound is not my HORSE!!! It's FREEDOM!!!

[​IMG]

19. sammakonkorvat

sammakonkorvat Avatar

Just voicing my support for the features surrounding this theme. It allows for more depth for many aspects of the game, which is always a good thing. The potential features have already been talked about in depth so I will not get into that.

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

flip' "Here Comes the Judge!"
    [​IMG]
    "It's Time for a Judgment call"!
    [​IMG]
    I do not favor any system one way or the other right now. Yet if our Portalarium quest generators are leaning towards a computer driven Order/Chaos behavior check, I believe it would add depth to our questing natures through deeper questions and questioning of our own behavior and also place another tool in the quest builder's box of Quest Construction Tools.
    So, if Order and Chaos are performed as a function check, wouldn't that mean that a cannibal eating more Chaos aliened people cause the computer, to alien this cannibal to an Order alignment?
    D&D made such checks possible and thus changed a player's Order/Natural/Chaos alignment based on who or what they killed. It's something to think about... o_O
    An Ever Deeper Ultima...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.