In my opinion, the game is poorly programmed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SabeSr, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I haven't been able to play without serious graphic lag in at least 6 releases.

I have a 1 gig VC, yes old but not that horrible...

I can play ANY other online game or other game on the market to date without this same horrible game play issue.

I have tried everything so please save the "did you try this" "did you try that" crap... I've been gaming long before most of you and I'm well aware of what to try to fix the issue.

In my personal opinion, the game devs have failed to properly program the game (serious memory leaks). I'm sure there are plenty of you who are happy and wealthy enough to go buy the top of the line systems... but what you don't realize is any game developer who programs a game beyond the systems affordable to the largest group of gamers is just asking for his or her game to fail... it won't matter if in two years everyone will be able to run this on an old system... by then the bulk of the paying consumers will see this as a worthless game and won't waste money on it.

Stop programming for the future systems and build a game that can be run on the average system TODAY. The elitists won't pay your bills, the average gamer WILL... you programmed this game beyond the average gamer graphic capable wise.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty of hard core gaming fanatics who will bash me but I don't care... I understand what you need to do to sell a good game... and in my opinion, you're failing by exceeding the capabilities of the average system available today.

Birko likes this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Don't run it at max settings(my 4 year old laptop can use max settings so I question what kind of setup you have) but you don't want people to help you and your attitude speaks volumes before anyone says anything.

Good luck to you.

3. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Video memory isn't everything. I've got new-ish graphics cards, two 670s in SLI, and my GPUs run pretty hot. That will be the issue.

You haven't tried everything. I suggest you try to update your graphics cards, there are some great budget cards out there that will have no issue running this game.

4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

We don't even know what operating system he is running or if he updated drivers etc....makes it hard to give suggestions, though he did say he didn't want suggestions.

5. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Quite true. I gave him one anyway though as clearly he has not tried every avenue to fix the situation.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

now, if he told me he was running windows 10 then I would then enquire if it had the latest driver(if there was one for his card) although win 10 likes to update stuff itself.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You speak as if the game is already finished and won't be improved upon. We probably won't be seeing much in the way of performance until the game enters late alpha or beta.

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Performance tuning is generally one of the last things that happens.

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Sorry to say, but you have a "Dinosaur"... I haven't seen a 1g card since the PCI buss fell out of style (or was it AGP), which is really old... The oldest machine I have is a Duel Core 3 ghtz socket 775... and 8gb... x64 Win7... Maybe you can run Ultima online, but I don't think WoW would even start...

10. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Going off topic here but I have a hard time resisting.

On any other game forum, I'd say, sure you probably started while we were in diapers. But on this one, I'd have to say, most of us probably were in the same boat as you when they shipped you out?:p

11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I did a bit of performance work on city frame rates this release which according to stats and Starr showed huge improvements over R20. Next release we should get a free big boost on performance from the new Unity version. As we get closer to the end of the year and have most of the major systems checked off, we'll make a serious pass on performance and memory use.

12. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...es-too-long-of-a-load-time.35848/#post-413887

With what one developer did to Rat's Nest in a few days should let everyone know that so long as you have a decent computer, the game will run fine come launch... I think for now they're just optimizing the low-hanging fruit on the fly.

I actually have a 1GB geForce 460 and the game runs fine for me although I usually set graphics a little lower if I'm in a big city.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry you've had problems and all we really want to do is help. In case you didnt see it since you sounded like you don't want anyone to respond, other than to say sorry you are having issues, a developer has answered you. Also I had to upgrade last year. Eventually you will too. Games will not stand still. I always play the game on fastest video in game options to help while the game is getting optimized, which is not done nearly. But ok unsolicited help. Best wishes to you.:)

14. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Haha! I think thats the wrong Forum/Community to mention that, Sir !

15. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

4 releases ago I had also big issues with my 1 year old laptop just to learn that my laptop caused the issues and not the game. Are you sure that it uses your graphic card to the fullest? I had to set it for SotA, other games used it on its own. Are graphic card river the newest? Unity 5 support is still not in for the most drivers, I had to use the beta version. It helped me.

Edit: Why don't you post us your full rig, because what causes the most memory leaks is using a 32bit system which is not the minimum setting for the game, you need 64bit system and 6GB Ram.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

LoL so true.

No Sir, it actually IS horrible. With newer and better cards produced every quarter, your card is from stone age.
    That said: you should anyway be able to play this game without problems.

17. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

for me shroud runs realy great, i might get here and there lags when i zone into big citys but most of the time iam fine

18. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Yeah, while ago we did some "informal research", and the active part of this community (at least the part that responded) averaged well above 40 IIRC...

Katrina Bekers and Stahlknecht like this.
  19. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

It runs mostly fine on my Macbook Air-a machine not meant for gaming at all (and technically I don't meet the minimum specs!). I mean the loading screens take forever, I have low framerates especially in populated areas, and I suffer some bugs (some exclusive to Macs) but I can run and play the game rather well.

So if you can't run the game on your PC and I can run the game on my Macbook Air-which I'm not sure if it even has 1GB video card memory-then I doubt it's the programming. Then again, I'm not a coding expert nor have I seen the SoTA code.

What exactly are your qualifications (and no long-time gamer don't count) to determine whether the game is poorly programmed? Have you seen the code to properly make this judgement?

Duke Gréagóir and Musaab Osman like this.
  20. Mata

Mata Avatar

Wehe ihr lacht... :D Do not laugh :D

This is my PC

DELL Optiplex 755
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
    RAM 4GB

I play SotA for over 14 months and I have not really problems!
    SotA goes better and better from day to day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.