In my opinion, the game is poorly programmed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SabeSr, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

früher oder später wirst du den aufrüsten müssen, ich empfehle später^^ Die 6GB wirst du irgendwann doch brauchen.

2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Meine Festplatte ist nur zu klein. :D

Nö, dann kauf ich mir 'nen neuen. :p ;)

3. Birko

Birko Avatar

SabeSr, good post.
    Don't be disheartened, because everyone is trying to help.
    Players with lower specification computers rarely comment, so your post stands out as a rarity, and is perhaps more important than everyone realizes.
    Gameplay is fundamental, and graphics is a bonus.
    Immersion is in your imagination, like the pen and paper games that had no computer graphics.
    That is why I like your post - a genuine concern about the fundamentals, and I hope that you are not excluded from this game's development.

Ancev, margaritte, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well I do own as a second pc also a very simple computer with just a gt610, 4GB RAM and a low budged dual core and even if I change details to lowest possible I see there quite a gap in performance compared to my normal pc…but that is normal and has been expected.

It is hard to believe that your PC has just performance problems with SotA as I do have these problems with many games on my second computer.

And of course (normally) a released game has a better performance than a game that is still in development. If all game mechanics are implemented the devs can effectively start to look at the performance and maybe in some month SotA is running smooth even on your and my (second) pc…but currently we not even have reached Beta-Status.

Complaining in a constructive manner to help making SotA superior is (as I think) always welcomed but at least I’m missing the “constructive” part in your post.

@Mata
    Oh, du hast ja auch sowas "Einfaches" bei dir stehen. ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

Ja :D und es läuft prima^^

6. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

playing SotA from Matas view:
    [​IMG]
    ...just kidding :p

7. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Have to agree with 4EverLost here. :)

My first computer gaming experience involved spending 4 hours of typing in spaghetti code to watch a ball bounce around the monochrome screen, only to shut off the computer and lose all the work I had done because the system wasn't able to save the information. I did upgrade to an external cassette loader down the road though and that was great. Did the whole MS-Dos, PC-Dos phase and Desqview nearly blew my mind when it allowed me to multitask (Prior to Windows being around)! I even played Kings Quest off of 20 or so 5 1/4 inch floppies.

The world became a smaller place when I got my first 300 baud modem. Later on I ran my first BBS with a 10 meg harddrive, a dedicated phoneline and a 1200 baud modem off of Telegard and then Renegade software. These were fun times.

Still I have to agree to a certain extent with the OP. I gave out three subscriptions to family members who played and loved UO but they couldn't play here because they have older machines (Maybe too old). I'm waiting until closer to release when the optimizations are done to tell them to try again. *Crosses Fingers*

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  8. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

[​IMG]
    keine sorge, das sind tränen der trauer und nicht vom lachen :p

Kara Brae, Stahlknecht and Myrcello like this.
  9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

OP your memory is failing, assuming you played any of the games released by Origin or RG in the past. Every game required a new PC to play. Went from a 286, 386SX, 486DX, Pentium, etc with each new Ultima. I did so happily for a chance to play the magic.

Upgrade your PC.

10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I don't need a second ban. So I stay quiet, but I was this close >||< to write something about rudeness and arrogance.

11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

They're aware. Performance is something on their list as is Visual Quality. No worries, Pre-Alpha Testing isn't for everyone :)

Koldar likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I remember buying a new 486-33 with 4 megs of ram just to play U7 - Black Gate :)

Edit: That was in 1992

Sir Cabirus, Jivalax Azon and Koldar like this.
  13. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

You cant even buy GIG video c
    If you want help post what you have here so we can see where the problem is.
    Please try and be as specific as possible
    Processor:
    Memory:
    Motherboard:
    Video Card:
    Also what type of internet you are using . IE wired, wireless, speed and connection type.

A 1 gig vid card is pretty outdated for starters. The machine I am planning to upgrade from has a gtx 580 with 2 gigs in it. the card I upgraded from was a 550 ti with 2 gigs in it. That was purchased in 2011.

Any gamer knows every 5 years its time to upgrade so.....

So if you have a card with 1 gig in it your entire machine has to be redone from scratch tbh.

I aint going to sugar coat it with try this and that. I dont believe your machine will cut it.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Well I've only been "gaming" since '89, but I'm one of the younger members. There's a good number of folks who have been gaming for longer....

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Five year upgrade schedule? I tend to do every two years.

Alexander and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  16. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

every 2 i tend to do the vid card upgrade

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  17. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I've been using my programmer friend's hand-me-downs... working very well as I can hold off upgrading for longer.

Used equipment isn't always a bad thing... find them and an upgrade can cost under $100 for 5x better performance.

18. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Just fyi it's pre alpha, and welcome btw. Think i forgot to hit send in your thread :)

Bodhbh Dearg and Jivalax Azon like this.
  19. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I have to agree with the OP. My graphics are terrible and the lag is overwhelming. My computer isn't that old ... My specs are :

[​IMG]

Sorry.
    OK, seriously, I test SotA on a $500 laptop. It only has 4 gig of RAM and a proprietary vid card. Nobody should be playing on something less powerful! (and it is fine most of the time, as long as everything is set to the lowest.)

20. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

I daresay there's a few Avatars around these parts that can recall actually having to fight real-life dragons. They had to walk barefoot, uphill, in 16 feet of snow, to get to the dragon's cave, and they were armed only with a dagger made of stone. :p

But in all seriousness, we all get frustrated from time to time with the tech, but we cannot take it out on each other or the Devs. We cannot accuse Portalarium of "failing to deliver" anything because the product has not yet been completed. We're the lucky few invited along for the ride and asked to provide feedback to make the finished product as amazing as it can be, so that we it's ready for everyone, it can be enjoyable to as large an audience as possible. Your feedback, although angrily worded, is great, because now Chris and the tech team will know (and even made a point to say!) "we are going to be sure to do a 'clean-up' pass before release" to optimize speed, fix lag, mem leaks, etc., so point well-taken. If you're frustrated, just take a break for awhile, keep up on the emails, and jump back in when the game's near launch to see how it looks when fully optimized.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.