1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

If things go anywhere near the way land rushes did in UO. There will be plenty of real estate buying and selling through out the game long after the Landrush. There will definitely be a shortage of housing as that is the intent of the developers. It will be and already is an intriguing part of the game and always will be. To say you have a mastery of all the primo spots within the game figured out is ludicrous! The main thing with pledging upgrading for a nice tax free lot and a unique house is to have a couple of cards to play with once the game begins. With 5 episodes coming one year apart. The real estate market is bound to change. Yea you may not get the "best" spot in the game because someone else came before you and pledged. But rest assured, thousands more are going to be coming along behind you. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people are so limited in their vision of the future. It is like the game is never going to grow or change from the day it goes live there fore you better be all set in all aspects of the game by then or else your screwed, might as well not play!

That is so lame to think that way. A big part of the fun is the interaction, wheeling and dealing, working towards something over a period of time before getting your dream set up. Enjoy the game, make friends, help others who will come along after you and stay positive FEAR. = Future, Events, Aren't, Real!

PeaCe my brothers and sisters...think
    Big!

2. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

I suggested this in another thread about an alternative option to lot selection. If you look at sotamap, its about as close as you can get to Illfonic's lot purchasing system which is quite awesome. Along with pictures of the property, you even get a description of the neighborhood like if its a wealthier section with frequent guard patrols, working class or slums. The prices are dependent on these things so ghetto areas are much cheaper but higher crime rates and next to no guards to stop robbery and murder but this is a different kind of game. The selection system is very well done though when it comes to lots/housing.

One of the reasons I suggested it was for possible future funding. Since land is a defining feature in this game, a similar system could prove a worthwhile investment. You could even add premade PoT's in future episodes and sell them for different prices depending on where Portalarium places them on the map, and by that I mean how close they are to control points or major cities. A guild may simply want their own town no matter where it is on the map which can be reasonably priced, especially if its a wagon but a strategic trading guild may pay 10k for one near a city or major trading lane.

Spoon likes this.
  3. verdicaysen

verdicaysen Avatar

I think what concerns me more about the community is that the primary concern by and large is the housing. Everyone says they care about this game... but the housing tends to dominate the conversation. I've pretty much leafed through all 27 pages of this thread and for the most part no one is having lengthy and in depth conversations about the new systems, trees, skills introduced - how much polish they are going to be adding to things that desperately need it. (ie Animation and Character Models oh and the sound... Lord British help me, the SOUND (levels, ambience, ect.) There are huge gaps in the armor of SotA and I find the fact that they are refocusing on that in the next several months a much greater relief than whether or not I will get to build my house next to the water or when. Housing is an amenity by comparison to the overarching issues that will insure the longevity in regards to relevance of where the people that play the game purely for the housing will want to build their homes. If you have no one to sell to - where you settle isn't going to matter much.

I sincerely hope that by the time this game rolls out to "active marketing" that players will be interested in all the other systems and hard work (art, arithmetic, sound composition, ect.) going into the game - and not just where their virtual foundation is getting poured.

Alexander, Elnoth and rune_74 like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Housing is dominating this conversation because this is a thread about lot selection (see title of thread) :)

5. syxs

syxs Avatar

Something that makes me mad about lot selection is that if you paid more $$$ you get first dibs on lots. Why not use backer Era (Royal Founder, Founder, Benefactor) first then the tier going downward. This way someone who backed in the start at the level to get a house doesn't loss out to someone who backed 2 years later one tier up? Also you should have a way to make a web interface for the lot selections. What happens if someone can't log in at the time of their selection due to error with program? You going to delay all times because server issues? Then you have the problem of people planning on a set time for their lot selection only to find out its been delayed.

Very poor planning to force us to do it in game where a web based system would allow for a more advance system of selecting lots. Allowing people to cast for multiple lots, ie this is my 1st choice of lot and then my second and so on. But limit it to 5 choice in one town. If 2 people or more select the same lot and are in the same group when its their turn random numbers are rolled giving a fair way to get lots. This allows for someone in EU and US to have a shot at the same plot no matter what "time" their lots selection is. Now once all the roll selection is done if you still didn't win you could select a lot that is still open. Also if your in a lower tier you can see where lots are being taken and redo your priority of lot assignments when your tier opens. Cause as it stands now you have to run across the world map to find the town you want and if its full run to find another one. Spending hours just looking for a free spot.

Krohon likes this.
  6. verdicaysen

verdicaysen Avatar

Please also note my friend, that it is about Final Wipe - and the ensuing post by Darkstarr refers to all of the changes I mentioned - that are also completely worthy of discussion if we all share the same passion that is this fantastic seed of a title. :)

Alexander and rune_74 like this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I disagree that this thread is the right place for "lengthy and in-depth conversations" about all aspects of the game that need to be polished or improved. The thread would end up with 500+ pages instead of the current 27. There are separate threads in the appropriate areas for such things. There is also a feedback forum for such discussions.

8. verdicaysen

verdicaysen Avatar

In any case, I am sure that the devs appreciate the brevity. :) I have compiled feedback in another thread since this one is exclusively for housing. :)

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yet, many posts on housing is ok? I'm pretty vocal in the fact that I think the other systems are much more important then virtual bling.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

We should definitely discuss more single player and offline features!

So let's talk about sleeping to advance time again. I think that it is very important! I don't want to stand around in the game and wait for an NPC to show up at a certain time of day.

Alexander, rune_74 and HoustonDragon like this.
  11. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

No one discusses single player and offline features because people have gotten tired of feeling like we're being ignored.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it is part that, part stigma of saying anything and getting jumped on. It get's exhausting giving ideas to be constantly belittled.

13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think it is a bit of both, shadow/rune, and also the fact that the devs are trying to keep a tight lid on the single player experience as a whole. :(

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Yes, I think many posts about housing are appropriate and to be expected in a thread about lot selection.

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You do see the final wipe in the title too right?

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Yes, and there is ample dicussion about that in this thread, too.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm confused, whats the problem then?

18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I don't have a problem. You quoted me three times asking me questions which I answered.

Spoon likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh ok.

20. Alfa

Alfa Avatar

I get what u say... But a way to make this easier... Is that they can only place the main lot.

I have np for someone placing a Castle... But all those who have Row and Village's Using there Secondary is not right. They pledge for that they should Land Rush for what they pledge. The Village and the Row house will be the ones to fight for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.