Something that really burns my butt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

It's true, you cannot please everyone. But you can often please the majority.

In E: D's case, they didn't. Most, I wager, wanted to play MP mode but felt compelled to compromise (still playing the game but not in the way they really wanted to) by going to SP mode.

Do we want to do the same because of "the problem with the modern MMO player"? Do we really want to "please" people by encouraging them to trade removal of an infuriating situation with a game mode that would not otherwise be their first choice?

Ice Queen likes this.
  2. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I want to hear the example of meaningful interaction from resource stealing, of how one person steals resources from another and they fall into a storybook love saga and live happily ever after.

Seriously, show me how this is anything but negative.

Ice Queen and HairballHacker like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would rather have everyone playing in multiplayer, it's better to have more people than less. But if multiplayer has to be watered down to the point I can't even recognize it as multiplayer anymore, then by all means, I'll play that with a low population rather than be forced to play in a world where I can't impact anyone with my actions. The entire point of multiplayer is to have interactions (both good AND BAD) with other players.

majoria70 and Womby like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The person stealing resources from you is making you pay attention to them. Otherwise, you'd ignore them outright. We need less ignoring in multiplayer and more interaction. Meaningful interaction doesn't mean it's always GOOD.

Acred and 4EverLost like this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

I've never heard one, nor can I imagine one.
    There's a reason most modern MMO's have instanced harvesting/resources. Precisely because of this resource stealing problem.
    And in a game that is primarily driven by resource acquisition, of course people are just going to switch to FPO/SPO and avoid the problem. Why knowingly expose yourself to negative social interaction, when as entertainment, it's supposed to be Fun? Logical folks will just flip the switch and remove the annoyance.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The Solution to all the ninja problems: SPOn

agra, Womby, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  7. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

And how does this fit in with the third line item of the devs mantra, fun?

I understand your desire for realism, but I don't think this adds enough palpable value to immersion within the game to warrant hard feelings between two players. Granted, I don't think anyone is (or would hope nobone is rage quitting) over it, but the game is supposed to be fun and to the OP's point, having resources ninja'ed isn't fun.

Ice Queen, agra and HairballHacker like this.
  8. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I wish we had a dislike button and it's nothing personal, but the argument I'm hearing is you all don't want instanced resources because resource stealing can be "meaningful interaction" and your counter argument is go play SPO if you dont like it?

Do you realize how hypocritical that is?

Xandra7, Ice Queen and HairballHacker like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

You're going to drive people into playing SPO instead of OPO. Is that a good thing?

From my perspective, there would still be plenty of reasons to play OPO even if player-to-player encounters were less common in your average scene.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Resource gathering can and should be a free-for-all. I agree that it's rude behavior to swoop in and take a resource if you know that they were trying to harvest it, but must we ask every time we're near a resource and another person is around, "uh ... you gonna eat that?"

Personally though I'll try to avoid such bad behavior but will mercilessly stalk/kite mobs to/use voodoo against/defame in the forums/ban from the brothel/steal from/spam/otherwise make miserable anyone who steals my resource or otherwise griefs me.

11. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

If you don't want to deal with the general population and want something to yourself then SP or FO is the way to do it, now if you want to go into that scene and feel remote, again go into SP or FO. If you want to be in a MMO then you have to deal with the MMO population which at times can be aggravating to say the least. But once we start instancing this, and instancing that.. where do you stop? I already feel like we have to many instances.. I hardly ever run into people in the outside world other than the overworld..

4EverLost likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Mordakai,

The devs would make logical decisions, that's all. For instance, control points would have heavy traffic, as would roads, and especially crossroads. Other places that are designed to be remote would have less traffic and less chances of encounters. Crank up the traffic in towns if performance can take it.

Overland, I eventually hope when camping is in, we can see people's campfires, and thus enter a scene with them. Also overland, you should be able to be able to set up PvP encounters if you're flagged.

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Im not saying I won't play mpo if this isn't implemented. I've only actually played one game where it was implemented and it did in fact fix the problem.

That aside, you can't retort go play SPO when the foundation of your argument is that resource stealing enhances multiplayer.

This sounds more like a plea to maintain mechanics that keep the game chaotic to inspire drama between players.

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. Selene

Selene Avatar

Having instanced resources ON TOP of SPO and FPO is unnecessarily redundant. It will only allow teams of fast killing players to come in and gather an exponential amount of resources, driving their value down because each person in that team will get a turn at harvesting the same resource. In FPO or SPO, you still have to kill a given number of mobs to harvest a single resource node. If you allow instanced resources, a small group of high level players could bring an entire guild worth of low level players to just harvest resources endlessly. 3 strong players kill the "guarding" mobs, then 20 people harvest the same cotton bush... rinse.. repeat.

Elwyn, margaritte, Adam Crow and 6 others like this.
  15. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

It's not that kind of instance, we just mean the cotton node is available for harvesting by more than one player and has a seperate respawn rate for each player.

This wouldn't add new scenes or actual instances.

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. Selene

Selene Avatar

No, no... think about it.. there are three wolves standing around a cotton node. I kill those three wolves, then five people all harvest the same cotton node. How is that not a huge increase in available resources? If all those people were in SPO, they would have to kill those three wolves themselves.

Elwyn, Adam Crow, Acred and 3 others like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I never said i liked it. I just proposed a quick Solution.
    I really miss a dislike button and its nothing personal.
    Do you realize how hypocritical that is?

That said: I can't see a real difference between instanced resources and spo resources. In my head it comes down to the same.

18. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

....since you play in MP, couldn't you kind of party someone to go out with you and agree to split the proceeds, so to speak?

Like one of you takes care of the mobs, the other person does the gathering and visa versa the next time around. Both of you profit, you make new friends and the would-be resource nabber needs to go nab his one on his own, or not. Maybe that's what they're hoping will eventually come about? Which is why they give you the SPOn option for those that don't want to do the party thing?:)

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

How is agriculture not the same thing? There will be balance for economy regardless of how this is handled.

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I don't think its so obvious... Are the other players supposed to be clairvoyant? Is that the only tree in the scene? Hey 1st come, 1st serve, but I don't have that problem since I play in SPO... Thank Garriot for SPO... Best idea of the gaming world...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.