Thieves!!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bugos, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

A thief is just a subclass of a rogue anyway, and there can be good rogues, like robin hood (and indiana jones)

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think Darkstarr mentioned in an IRC Chat, that they will design 'subterfuge' skills in January, when there is time between the alpha stages.. I guess we have to be patient.

Miracle Dragon and smack like this.
  3. Margard

Margard Avatar

Oh god I hope so ... that's what I was looking forward the whole time

Miracle Dragon and smack like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Likewise...the current stealth skills already revealed are rather...limiting.

5. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Until perma grey came out. You remained criminal to the person who you have just stolen from until you died. I remember one time stealing form a guy, just to have him kill me 2 days later and I was like "WTF?". Then I remembered I stole 2 arrows off him the other day as he was picking the gold up off my corps. fun times.

6. sheetrock1

sheetrock1 Avatar

I also disagree with you my friend,
    I and many others would love the Old Ultima. With better graphics. Before care bear land. Where you wanted and needed a good Guild to help you on hunts,and acquiring gear so on.Where you made real life friends, that last long after you have moved on to different games.
    I played Ultima for 10 years,[98-2008] the first 5 was awesome, every year after was a bigger disappointment till I ultimately moved on.
    I also had a GM Beggar,and a Thief. Most fun I ever had was going naked to Fulccia and stealing from the PK's there.
    As a side note. In 10+ years never once was I ever, flagged a RED. I earned my skills the hard way, from npc's or those that had the right to kill me for my misdeeds.
    As for what was wrong with the game, If you have listened Richard G. interviews,in the past. In the start of the Ultima He had no idea pvp would have such a overwhelming popularity.
    In my opinion, the down fall started with Trammel.With every new land after was just another straw on the camels back.
    As in real life, there is just some places you don't go at night by yourself. So in short, Yes that's whats wrong with every game that has come after. No realism ,risk , no excitement.
    If I could play any class Ultima had to offer. In SotA I assure you it would be a Thief PKKer.

7. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I hope there are thieves in this game, as I have no problem with the play-style. It just has to be in some way consensual so that the mark knows there is the possibility of them losing things to thieves. As for your statements of what an amazing game UO was (which I have already agreed that it was):

What, EXACTLY, is the risk in going naked to Felucca to pickpocket someone? Are your items at risk? So what if you're killed, it still means no loss to you. I don't think you liked realism, risk or excitement any more than a person playing in Trammel.

Akeashar and Margard like this.
  8. Sir Fred

Sir Fred Avatar

I don't mind being killed by a player without consent. Or having a thief grab something from my purse. That adds excitement to my game as long as I have a real chance to avoid it or even fight back. When it comes to griefing the fun ends because usually it means just being bullied without any chance to encounter it.
    So I think it may very well be possible to design a smart PK/thief system as long as the game system provides enough draw backs to the aggressor to think twice if he should kill that lumberjack for lulz or steal the first 20 gold from that newbie.
    E.g. have guards arrest thieves on sight once they have become banned in a town. Ban them if they get caught stealing the third time or so. Make the skill/time investment to become a master thief high enough to avoid throw away chars.
    Put thief's in prison, sentence them to x amount of skill loss if catched by the guards. endless possibilities.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well one thing's for certain there won't ever be a possibility that a PK will kill a newbie. LB already stated that they will protect newbies, and because of selective multi-player PvP is completely optional.

10. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

Let me see If i got this right... This is a 1 char. Game and you defend that a thief if caught stealing should go to prison and sit there for how much time ? Stat loss ? Thief should be like in uo once you steal you are perma gray and Can get killed on sight.... If condemn a thief to Stat loss a pk should be executed and instantly character deleted with a 10 days moan without being able to create a newbie char.....

Come on .... What about that greedy lumberjack that cut all vicinity wood and his neighbour is woodless and freezing ???
    He Should get stolen by the thief and killed. By the newbie pk ....

If you flag pvp you. Can get stolen and killed of you dont flag pvp you in wonderland... Whats better than that !!???

11. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Just remember, from Ultima IV (much of the inspiration for SotA) since the focus was more upon Virtue than Shenanigans there were no Thieves... only Bards!

Perhaps their songs can entice your coins to leap from your pouch to theirs?

Lord Baldrith and NRaas like this.
  12. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Avatar

Heya everyone. I have to admit, today is the first time I have paid any attention to this game.

I just happened to stumble across a thread about the game over on the Stratics UO forum and thought I would pop on over here to see if thieves would be a viable playstyle in this game and BLAMO...the first thread I found was this one.

I have played a thief in UO since the first day I played the game. I was introduced to the thief profession first hand when I went out to the Brit graveyard and met my first one. I fell in love with the playstyle, and have continued to look for games that gave me the same type of playstyle option.

To date, none have.

Playing a thief in UO meant always being on your toes. It meant keeping track of your perma grey status to know how safe you would be when an old mark stumbled across you in the field. I understand that UO thieves had a way of upsetting other players, but there were so many ways they could have protected their items...if they only took the time to figure them out.

For me it was never about finding the big score (even though I did collect plenty of vanquishing weapons :)) it was always about the chase. If that meant heading into dungeons and stealing from a group of reds, or finding a solo player and merely snagging a potion...I was up for it. I always hated the naked bank thieves, but for me it was always easy enough to protect myself I can't recall a time I ever got stolen from once I started playing one.

If the devs are reading these threads, I certainly hope they will include player versus player stealing in the game without town limits or PvP switches.

Anywho, this topic is one I will certainly follow. If the devs allowing player stealing, I'm in...if not, I won't bother...la

Hazard likes this.
  13. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

lord I hated thieves in UO...I hope they allow player stealing as well...just not the naked bank thief kind that was just stupid.

14. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Avatar

I think is was the players that loathed thieves the most that became our favorite targets. Call it trolling, or whatever...it was always more fun to steal from someone who would chase and try to kill you.

My favorite template was the disarm thief. I remember a day where I was doing a little banking and someone I had stolen from a few days earlier (yup, perma grey) found me at the bank and immediately took to try killing me. The funny part of the story was that since we were both sitting at the bank, we had a full bank full of things to protect ourselves.

In his case it meant a continual supply of weapons for me to disarm steal from him. I would steal one, he would rearm. This went one for a pretty long time. He would get me down to faily low hp and my band aid timer would heal me up so the fight could continue.

The fun went on until he finally ran out of band aids and I wrestled him to death. It was the only time in my playing career that I actually got a count from a player that wasn't afk. :) (yeah, my pvp skills were awful)...la

Zeke0123 likes this.
  15. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 Avatar

one thing I learned was keeping a small container with a few split up regs on me at all times...got my black pearls stolen during a fight and having that happen one time was enough to learn my lesson ;).

16. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Amen.

17. Hardy

Hardy Avatar

I liked getting thieves guard whacked at the bank, and I liked getting the newbies guard whacked who tried to loot the thieves. Then the looters on the looters... etc etc

"guards"
    *bzzeeeebushine.....whack!*
    "guards"
    "guards"
    "guards"

Used to be able to get some impressive body pileups.

18. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Avatar

Would love to see NO insta whack by guards. Make them tough and powerful, but give a criminal a chance to survive an encounter with the guards...la

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, no thief class, although you stole from NPCs all the time (excepting when your party members would complain), and had a pickpocket spell :)

Akeashar likes this.
  20. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Yep. Kind of gives a new twist now that I think of it as to why Iolo was the one that always wanted to handle the money counting, gathering and splitting. ^~

NRaas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.