Thieves!!

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bugos, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

As long as the theft is reasonable and realistic as opposed to outlandish, I won't mind. If I find that I've lost coin, even a large ammount of coin, I'll consider it fair and move on with my life. I'll probably devote a bit of resources to hunting down and butchering the thief, but if I went into an environment with other players who might do such things to me, then it's a risk I took.

If, on the other hand, I walked through the bazaar and discovered that someone had stolen the sword from my belt and the plate armor from my back, I'd call that a rediculous thing. If I've been very good at commerce, and I have millions of coin, I would like somewhere OTHER than my belt pouch to carry it in, so that one good pickpocket cannot transfer my entire retirement fund and stock portfolio in seconds. Again, that would be rediculous.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

To the best of my knowledge this is still undefined. The devs have neither confirmed nor denied stealing. The fact they are willing to try to find a way to incorporate player looting does bode well for thieving also being included.

Players can set themselves as solo players while still playing online, preventing them from ever meeting anyone else, and thus obviously becoming immune to thieving. Also, PvP is supposed to be by consent only, so it wouldn't be too large a stretch to have thieving only allowed by PvP-flagged players and on PvP-flagged players.

On top of that, houses are supposed to be absolutely safe by default; there might be an option that makes the house unsafe, but the house owner would have to set it himself.

3. Boeremal

Boeremal Avatar

I want to allow thievery, but I should also be allowed to build and staff a jail with NPC guards. That way if I catch the thief, I could imprison them as I see fit. That should provide thieves with a proper fear of the unknown as well. A thieves guild could be there to break them out if they are strong enough. Huge role playing potential.

4. Maximus

Maximus Avatar

Thieves always kept me on my toes in UO and it sometimes made the game unpredictable and fun. Sometimes the consequences really sucked like when some thief stole my recall stone! :mad: But it does add a dynamic to the game that makes you feel like you are in a realistic type of world which is good. I am always for more freedom of what you can do in a game. This freedom makes one keep coming back to play again and again.

5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

6. Albert Baumhauer

Albert Baumhauer Avatar

I'm fine with thiefs in the game, as long as items bought with real money can't be stolen (eg. deeds (houses, lots) and founder items). ;)

Maximus likes this.
  7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I definetly want thieving in the game. I think we will have to make compromises though :)

8. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I really would love to play a thief. I would prefer to have the opportunity to break into houses and businesses or move through the market slitting a purse here or pocketing a bauble there. I'd also like to delve into the deepest dungeons, slowly searching for traps and disarming them. Finding that chest and picking the lock after sneaking past the Ogre guarding it.

I could do all of these things in PvE and it would satisfy me. No need to involve the other players at all unless I was working with them in those deeps.

9. badunius

badunius Avatar

Two cents for PvP vs PvE discussion: Having my lvl 60 character slain (yeah, oneshot) by a lvl 80 character (on PvE server, I was autoflaged as PvP for killing other faction's NPC on sonewhat neutral terriotry but that was part of the quest) for no reasont other than "fun" was no fun at all. Even though I didn't lose anything.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

With Selective Multi-Player, which should match you not only in player game style, but also in level, should prevent this, so no worries, right?

11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

There will be Single Player Online to avoid that.

12. badunius

badunius Avatar

But what is the point of whole thievery thing then? I don't get it. Never leveled pickpocketing in TES. Ever. Why? Okay, maybe there was questing reasons. But how many quest should be related to this to make leveling pickpocketing reasonable? So we are back to "no fun and no reason to steal from NPCs" (and therefore no reason for thievery in single player without a huge branch of thievery quests). But who then? Players of course. But not all players, as have been mentioned before, like / want to be a victim. So party picking (or how do they call it) system for selective multiplayer should keep in mind that all players picked to play together ready / want to be robbed / killed. Then it's okay. Underworldy shard vs peacefully ones (much like PvP / PvE servers to me).

13. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

The biggest reason in UO to steal from NPC's was rare items. Things you could not get anywhere else.
    So once Santa Clause shows up you can steal his toys and sell them for big money.

14. badunius

badunius Avatar

I know nearly nothing about UO (shame, but I have my own reasons). But I see your point. Although, relying on something, well, unreliable is... maybe I'm just different kind of person.

15. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea I'm sure we can come up with many more reasons but it was still fun going through shops in town and looking through all their boxes, chests, bags, or whatever trying to find something good to steal.
    You then had to use the stealing skill, a target would come up, you would then click the item you wanted and if successful (depends on your skill) you took the item.
    Then after stealing something you went gray which meant anyone in town could then kill you.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

Ah, good times...

Zifnab Strongarm, ImRad and jondavis like this.
  17. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

I am for thieves in SOTA. They are fun to play and if your targeted by a good one, he may just be after your valuables. Not hang around and annoy you like a fly. I mean, if I can just slide that nice weapon out of your pack instead of beating that monster to death... Why wouldn't i? :D
    Now to TRY and make everyone happy... Perhaps thieves can steal in curtain areas? These areas may be high risk areas, and before entering them you acknowledge the risks... The reason you take that risk, is for greater rewards in these areas.

18. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

I played a thief/ assassin in UO and found it to be amazing, there's a thrill and excitement to it, others find that same thrill I guess in making a rare potion, weapon, armour. I however love the underhanded and the stealth and skill it takes to do this. By all means have justice from other players and a justice system, try having bounty hunters or something of the like. I also agree that you shouldn't have things like plate armour stolen off your back, but hey if you have deeds in your bag and I steal them that's a form of role playing too. And just remember you lot that think that simply finding a thief means you can or have the skills to beat and kill us, LAUGH think again!

Zifnab Strongarm, Ara and AuroraWR like this.
  19. Gasket

Gasket Avatar

Mate, dont get your hopes up about old school stealing.

It seems that anything remotly unpleasant to another player is being avoided - IF another player is consenual to being stolen from though, then it would be ok......

Ara likes this.
  20. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

I thought this was really stupid at first.... but when I got to the part about breaking out it started to sound appealing. "As I see fit" would probably need some limitation though. Some people, particularly the thieving type, like to go it alone at times and might not have much of a guild to help them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.