Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

If they plan to leave it this way then yes like many others im done with this game, it was called an open sandbox play as you want, and that is not the case forcing me to group up to kill mobs that 3 other types can do solo is complete BS, Tanks the only class now that can not solo content GTFOH.

2. Shift

Shift Avatar

Just throwing my 2 cents in.. I feel like the DR changes were too much. if there were players running around with 100% mitigation.. then maybe they should of just capped the DR not just nerf it by 50%.. My character feels completely useless now.

By Tor, Oyjord Hansen, Nikko and 2 others like this.
  3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I am glad Elwyn, that you are the epitome of zen calm and temperance. I cannot speak for others, but the reason this elicits such a visceral reaction from me is that I don't have the time to play like others do. I have spent years getting Cordelayne to where he is now and, like you, have survived many a nerf. Shoot, we'll all survive this one as well. Yet, this feels like a slap in the face, forcing me to "go back to the drawing board". I simply don't have the time, nor the desire quite frankly, to do this.

So while my comments may seem, as you so eloquently put, "going completely headless chicken"; there is a rationale and a reason. One that I hope you can respectfully understand. Regardless of whether you disagree.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

While I have the time to spend grinding and readjusting, my main gripe is it's just not fun to constantly deal with changes release to release when you've set out for the long term on a build. Most MMOs don't nerf skills unless there is something incredibly broken, they just buff the skills that are weaker in comparison so there isn't a major backlash like this.

5. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

This is 100% correct.... which is why a 100% skill experience refund is required to ALL skills if they keep this change. The audience of this game is adults with time constraints

By Tor, Nikko, Deadly Habit and 2 others like this.
  6. Renekon

Renekon Avatar

wait until R53 live stream. they will know how pissed off ppl are when they have none of their stretch goal reached.

By Tor, Oyjord Hansen and K1000 like this.
  7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The thing is, you seem to be taking this personally, like they did this TO YOU. And like the remaining infinity of existence is going to be an eternal hell unless something is done RIGHT NOW. Chill out, Rome wasn't built in 30 minutes. Changes come, changes go. They have now been told, this is their busiest time, they can't respond instantly. Nothing bad will happen if you go out to a park or watch a movie this weekend.

And you can express your displeasure without going completely off the deep end. Just because I don't share your OMG PROBLEM ("it's so awful! you don't understand!") doesn't mean I haven't gone through my own other problems. When I had problems with the game beating on my ass, you know what I did? I took that as a challenge to get better, rather than complain that my little comfort zone had suddenly collapsed. And when things got less bad later, that made me even more awesome.

Around R23 or so, I was getting totally sick of archers and mages running around crazy, worse than they do now, so I started using ranged spells. I found out about Searing Ray just as it was being nerfed! Later I learned how to chase those jerks around. I can get beaten up by greens if there are too many of them, and I don't demand to be able to stand in the middle of a dogpile unscratched, so I learned how to add AoE so that even if I have to take damage from them, they take damage from me too.

This was also when there was a big warm-up penalty for locked glyphs when you drew your weapon. I really didn't want to use the deck system, but I had to, and it took me six months. Later on I noticed Chris saying that the deck system must be fine because everyone used it, and I said, yeah no, that's because there's such a penalty to not use it. Just a "that's not right", not a "change things right now or I'll quit!" Then later he came up with the awesome charged locked glyph thing that I still haven't even started to look at, because I'm finally good at using the deck system.

After the elemental resistance change happened last year, I could barely hurt ghosts with fire anymore, so I doubled down on Searing Ray and Banish Undead. Ghosts still suck, just not as much.

But really, this goes back to my playing FFXI for years, it was quite unforgiving. All the time, in each monthly patch, one class after another got a nerf, or sometimes a buff. It was the way of the world. And not only did we have no contact with the devs to tell them when things were broken, but they were Japanese, and wouldn't listen to gaijin problems anyhow. You should realize how lucky you are that we have devs that care at all.

I don't want to play exactly the same game day after day, month after month, never getting out of my comfort zone. That's boring as hell. Git gud.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  8. FrumpyWallflower

FrumpyWallflower Avatar

I'm coming at this game aiming to mostly play solo. I'm AL 44 and I've yet to be in a group. The Max DR nerf feels like it has killed the play solo or as a sandbox MMO aspect of this game.

By Tor, Oyjord Hansen, Nikko and 3 others like this.
  9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I dont care if they do make the change now, they wont see another dime from me ever again. They ruined the game for me and now taking away dbl xp because they ruined the game to the point where i can not play it or go farm some low end POS mobs that are worthless to kill giving 1200xp per kill thats fun.. same stuff i already did for years.....

StrangerDiamond, By Tor and K1000 like this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Oh my gosh it's brutal. It's literally taken me years to get Cordelayne to where I finally thought, "Ok, this is fun, I can pretty much explore most of the content in the game solo." and now...BAM, back to square one. Don't get me wrong, I love to party up with folks, it's what I enjoy the most. When I can't though, it's nice to know I can visit scenes that are challenging but still give me the satisfaction of seeing my Avatar grow. Now I go to Tier 3 scenes and get chewed up by a pack of wolves who even if I could kill give me crap xp. Something doesn't add up here.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I am reminded of Portalarium's approach to balancing which as they described is something like a pendulum. They go to either extreme and back and forth until they find the sweet spot. This is just the swing nobody likes. It's not the sweet spot.

Personally, I don't care much for this approach. I would rather they start on the 'low' end and gradually build up to that point that 'feels right'.. it's easier to give than it is to take away. But ultimate point is, this is just part of the process. I'm often amazed at how some people think every change is the final intended balance be it for 'good' or 'ill'. Oh they nerfed us! Now this will never be worth it.. for ever and ever and ever it's ruined! etc etc..

Yes I think this was a little too much.. but I don't think it's the final iteration of all things melee. And when they can see how things are ultimately going they'll say.. hmm this skill or that buff etc needs to be come up a bit.. the pendulum will swing the other way.. everyone will be happy clappy and sing the praises.. when it comes back.. people will rage and the cycle continues..

Personally, was shocked when I discovered I could suddenly stand around with no active skills and kill hordes of mobs that I once had a healthy and well earned respect for. Perhaps I'm not raging because either I haven't spent the last couple releases getting used to it.. or because I expect changes. Who knows..

As a plate wearer and as someone who mostly solos.. and with NO magic or potions.. I find my overall tactics are not changing from 3 or 4 releases ago. I have never ran headlong into mobs with the intention of fighting a dozen at once. I've always been cautious and tried to control the situation.. draw them out.. pick them off.. don't get myself killed and know when discretion is the better part of valor. It doesn't pay to be reckless..

In short, the sky isn't falling. It's not the end of the world. Although a little sugar with the medicine probably wouldn't hurt. :)

Tamsen, Witcheypoo, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Love it Bowen and couldn't agree more! :)

Nikko and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Your comparing something that was supposed to happen Prior to release and that is fine and dandy, we are talking about Port "Releasing" the game saying its ready for people to play, they got use to it being the way they wanted to play, and then they turned around and slapped all those people in the face. This is one of those things that a game does that causes a mass quantity of people to just quit and walk away. This is not an OMG this happened to me moment, im a lvl 106 character and maxing out my resists and im maxed out btw 70% Poof im taking massive amounts of dmg from all things not just little things go tank a dragon for your group and when ya take that 700 crit and die and lose 250k xp from the one death so you wasted your entire time playing just to make up the xp you lost because now they want you to kill the same stuff over and over the game is boring period. At least when i had a proper DR i could do content that was challenging now its back to kill this crap because its what is Easy there is no challenge anymore its just either do the low end stuff or don't play. And that right there is no good.

14. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Something else to consider is that they fixed something that wasn't working as intended. Now they can tweak the numbers effectively. Before, they could tweak those numbers all day, and have no effect because their formula wasn't working right. So that is something positive.

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

Tested for so many years, the official listing is still like a test version, each update is re-regulation of the game ecology, players how to adapt it? How long does this unstable environment last?

By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Renekon

Renekon Avatar

17. DooMAGE

DooMAGE Avatar

No problem, for offiline play there are companions that can party with you ;)

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You know what, I'm happy for you. Because if you can get this mad over what amounts to a few days in a video game, then your real life must be pretty peachy. Well, mine hasn't been for a year and a half, due to a family situation that I hope none of you ever have to deal with. I had no option to quit, nobody to complain to; I barely had anyone to help me out or to confide in. But my brother and his gal are stepping up for a solution that's good for everybody. It means I've had to work up the courage to drive a few hundred miles out of my own comfort zone for a few days, and I might not be on much if at all this weekend, but maybe things can start looking good for me after that. I play this game so much because of things that I can't do, and for the actual people that I can hang out with, even if only virtually.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  19. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Speaking as a non-plate wearer, who is used to being a mobile target so that I don't take nearly as much damage, yes... I am taking significantly more damage than before. Especially from wizards, which is weird since magic is supposed to ignore armor. Is it game ending for me? Not at all. Simply more of a challenge, but then again, it is just forcing me to be more technical with my play style, not removing its purpose entirely.

Is this the end of the world? Not for me, but for the reasons just stated, it might feel that way for others.

Am I happy with the majority of the changes? Yes. In the hour and a half I had since getting home, I managed to almost knock out enough engineers to turn in two batched of catalyst, and load myself up with enough loot to force me to go into berserker mode just to be able to move faster, and I still couldn't recall (but only just). But, while doing so, I had to be careful of my surroundings, and had a couple of moments where I was kiting as many as 1 orange melee and 4 yellows, a mix between ranged and melee. I also died a couple of times, but only because an orange repopped or joined the fray when I wasn't expecting, and the added firepower put me over the edge, and I didn't have any imbued potions with me.

All that being said, if this were the first time the nerfbat were swung with knock-it-outta-the-park power, I would forgive and say let the devs do their thing.

It isn't... and last time should have been the last.

This isn't WoW, where if they make a particular build worthless because of a sudden change, they provide a free respec, and you can go immediately reconfigure your build to suit and try something else. Here, you have to spend time winding down a skill and spinning up the new one(s). Swinging the nerf bat irresponsibly is screwing with player's one precious and limited resource: time.

Stop screwing with things this way. You have brains, test it out, then implement it, and when people are telling you it was too damned harsh BEFORE YOU IMPLEMENTED... LISTEN!

By Tor, Cordelayne and MrBlight like this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

SOLO play, online. Not offline. I know it is confusing, but there are two distinct games. One online (multiplayer and solo and friends) and offline (alone, but with companions). My reference to solo play was about the online version of solo play.

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.