Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shift

Shift Avatar

I think them coming out with these sweeping changes 1 month after release is a mistake.. I have some newbie friends that are now getting frustrated at their lack of survivability.

2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I've been trying to build a tank character for almost 2 years with minimal magic (strength of stone and healing touch only) and with this patch Portalarium ruined my character completely.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've had at least 3 people log off in frustration tonight because its unplayable, content that they comfortably solo'd yesterday is impossible.
    I cede that the R52 values were broken, that 100% DR was obviously excessive.
    The skills, at the very least,should be put back where they were. That would more or less mitigate the other changes (16.5% max DR from deflection at GM, nerfed to 8.3, and 12.5% sympathy of stone nerfed to 6.3). Fix these, and everyone who invests in them to GM gets a whopping 14-15% bump. Not enough to push anyone over mid-80s except the extremely dedicated plate wearer, as it should be. Also puts the onus on the player to develop the appropriate skills to have the high max, or wear heavier armor, as it should be.

Even with heavy armor and gms in everything that effects max resist I'm struggling to get a mid-60s %, which quite simply, is not good enough. Your actual resist stat still function as a cap here, and meteoric plate and buffed to hell you'd be hard pressed to get this over say, 70ish anyway. If 75% is your baseline, then it should be 75% in full plate with the appropriate skills at 80. At the moment, in full plate (and shroud) with appropriate skills at grandmaster you're barely scratching mid60s. And if you're not in full plate, you're well, screwed.

4. lishayw

lishayw Avatar

Don't Fret everyone Chris is going to give everyone the chance to 100% unlearn Deflection for the heavy tree which will solve this problem. We can all un-train everything else at a 50% XP loss and just become mages instead. No worries everyone is getting level and skill capped in Blood Bay anyway so you won't even miss all that extra XP you're losing in the re-train. Rumor is Portal is changing the name of the game to Shroud of the Mage anyway, so they want everyone looking the part for future content releases. They don't want new players to be confused by all the melee and archers running around.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This hurts mages as much as anyone else.
    I have watched so many new people start playing this, excited about being a mage, and within a week or two they've picked up a bow or sword because its so much easier to level.
    I myself have had to level a melee tree to do all the content that mages can't do effectively due to resistences, magic shutdowns, etc.
    So its not really shroud of the mage. Its more like Shroud of Punishment.
    The death penalty was already bad enough but now they need to make it easier to die.
    What the logic behind trivial mobs you could kill 15 months and 300 million invested xp ago suddenly now hurting you more than they ever did I honestly cannot fathom.
    If the goal is to retain a playerbase, this seems the wrong way to go.

6. eli

eli Avatar

haha yea i almost died on some stuff that was really easy just now. Luckily AI are really dumb and its easy to get out of almost all crappy situations if you know what you're doing.

IMO this is a better difficulty level for pve. less boring.. but when you add decay its gonna piss a lot of people off, so i think its a little too hardcore for general audience.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Adjusting my combat deck (to extreme defense) so far seem to be working for me. Experimented with a Tier 3 area, and that so far is basically easy (I do need to pay very careful attention to what I am doing). For Tier 4, that gets a bit more tricky.... I have to very very carefully pick battles, but so far this is somewhat..... manageable. At least for my AL level (56) and skills level. Just need to experiment a bit more. I use Chain.

Interestingly, it almost seems we are doing a bit more damage now? Not sure if that’s actually true or not, just kind of seems like it. Will experiment a bit more further on different enemies in Tier 3 areas just to see how things go (Corpion, Skeleton Foot Soldier etc...). Apparently this is the try to approach things differently patch heh....

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. the_masked_coder

the_masked_coder Avatar

Just to let Portalarium know that at least one person has quit this game over the Damage Resist nerf.

I've now quit the game with an Adventure level 91 character.
    I now feel like all the time i spent raising my character skills were a waste of time.

A nerf this big, post launch is unforgivable.

Don't forget, there are many other games for me to try.
    The MMO market is saturated with better quality games.

I'm not wasting any more time on this game.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    By Tor likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Exactly, @kaeshiva !
    Agree completely.........

10. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Finally Chris made what he should year ago. This DR exploit finally end. And to all guys who cry that no reason in heavy armor now:
    1) Guys there was no reason in light armor since persistence.
    2)You finally will train how to play well SOTA Not just stay on the place and spam glyphs, You will train tactics, you will know many new facts about SOTA :D
    3) This exploit which made almost impossible playing in top PVP as archer now finally end. And if you lose solo pvp to archer before it now you will really lose, and this is how it should be.

11. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I was noticing the opposite. I thought it was wired that I didn't need to heal much in The Rise last night.

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Should be able to hit a cap of 75%

If the is proving extremely difficult to reach in heavy armor that may be a bug.

I use light armor and mine went from 70 to 30, but most of my defence by far comes from skillful timing of active defenses so i dont notice much difference.

Before it became easy to get 100%, i think people were pushing 80ish, which noone complained about. If somone in full plate is getting 59% then that might need to be changed to be sure plate wearers have little trouble hitting the cap

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Resistances on armor and potions have been not working. If they fixed that you should notice a significant difference while wearing warding gems

14. Shift

Shift Avatar

Devs Faces When They walk into work this morning.

[​IMG]

By Tor, hroth, Jaesun and 2 others like this.
  15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I don't wear them.

16. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Please do this for me... Go back to Twins Foothills. Ready your heavy armor and your 2H sword. Take on all 8 of those rogues and swashbucklers again, just like you used to. IF you even survive that, try it once with the most effective defensive (active) skills, like glancing blow, fortify defenses, defensive stance, etc., and then try it without them active. Perhaps try this a few times to get a good set of data on how each fight goes, since there is obviously a bit of luck in critical hits and the like. Note the difference in how much health you lose each fight, and then come back and post here what you experienced. I'm pretty sure you'll be throwing a few heals... maybe not even be able to do it without running, or jumping up on a damn rock. Let us know... seriously.

Tamsen, majoria70, By Tor and 2 others like this.
  17. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

So after a 12+ hours with the change it's bad, but the sky has not fallen.
    Wait for it... I don't think it needs a roll back.

I'm tired of these knee jerk decisions to undo hours of work, complaints in QA go ignored, but it's livable.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Chris just posted this this morning on this work blog.. everyone ready?

"So after spending several hours playing on my alt and talking to people last night, I'm softening the damage absorption a bit and adding the hard cap I had originally planned on having. So absorption for skills will go up about 50% and from armor will go up about 15% from the current numbers, this will give high end players a number closer to 80%. Then there will be a hard cap at 80%. No, we're not going back to 100%."

And some people were quitting in less than 1 day??? honestly..

Elwyn, Witcheypoo and Bigg like this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Well, if heavy armor and defensive buffs were not changed back to at least having SOME value, the game would have literally been over for many players. This HAD to get changed back at least a bit. I openly admitted several times that the 100% mitigation thing was obviously broken. They just swung WAAAAY too far in trying to fix that. Good on Chris for admitting the mistake.

Witcheypoo and Cordelayne like this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

yeah but as I was eluding to yesterday this swing back was always going to happen. It's just nice that it was sooner rather than later.

Witcheypoo, Nikko and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.