Welcome New Players!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Berek, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Johnnyclash

Johnnyclash Avatar

Hello Everyone! I'm Johnny Clash. I started playing yesterday and I really like the game. I played UO from 2000 to 2003 on Chessy as "Optimus Prime" and "Loki", and I've been playing free shards since about 2010. I'm incredibly interested in delving deeply into this game. Although, it seems quite daunting at first. Lol. I don't really even know what I'm supposed to be doing, but in the spirit of adventure, I'm questing and exploring. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to getting involved with the community. Thanks ahead of time!

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It can be completely overwhelming at first. But feel free to ask any questions. Most everyone here is always happy to help.

Wilfred and Johnnyclash like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome @Johnnyclash. I don't really think there is really a 'supposed to' that you should be doing in this game. There are many things you can do. If you prefer a structured game perhaps one of the guilds offer some structure but I'm not sure which do that.

There are many things to do besides questing but imo I think players who want to experience it all should quest long enough to get at least the row lot deed given by completing an outskirts quests. Then you can experience decorating to your hearts content plus have a place to zone home to and organize chests to store things in and perhaps place a vendor to sell things on. This takes time to earn gold and is a goal in itself.

Don't forget the Oracle offers a daily test that gives 500 gold a day and experience. Daily Taxes on your row are 250 so it really helps.

We also have a music system. You can play solo or in group. I can explain more anytime if you're interested.

We have a mail system you can mail anything even gold. Bank buildings have a mailbox as well as you can craft one for your home. It's easy peasy to use just click send mail and address to such as to majoria my name in game. You can type a short note on the subject line or write a book or note to drag to the mail message for a longer message.

Also don't forget you can have a basement and a dungeon you create on your own lot.

It is good to work your character to be able to do higher level quests and visit all scenes and dungeons in the game. The y key shows decks menu and k key shows skills. You need to visit trainers to train your skills. The c key is your character sheet. Mouse over your character name to see adventure level.
    This is a use based skill game so using skills will improve them which draws from your experience pool shown in the k key bottom right.

Anyway just a bit of info for a new player. I'm Majoria in game if I can help. We do have a universe chat as well. You can ask questions there anytime too. Also I did not notice if you're online and that is what I'm replying to since I play online. Have a great time.

Wilfred and Johnnyclash like this.
  4. Johnnyclash

Johnnyclash Avatar

Wilfred and majoria70 like this.
  5. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

@Johnnyclash You should do the quests that result in you getting your Shroud of the Avatar! First you do the Love, Truth and Courage quest lines. Then you visit the Oracle in Brittany Central and you will be tasked with a bunch more quests to go all over the world and gather up items and put them together to get the Shroud of the Avatar.

You start by visiting Arabella in Soltown.

If you get stuck, visit sotawiki or youtube and search for keywords related to your current question.

Good luck!

PS you know you can learn your adventure level by floating the mouse over your character name in your paperdoll. You should be level 50 to 70 after you have finished and have your Shroud because those quests give out a ton of experience points!

Wilfred, majoria70 and Johnnyclash like this.
  6. Johnnyclash

Johnnyclash Avatar

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Wilfred and majoria70 like this.
  8. SamuelRichards

SamuelRichards Avatar

Hello! I'm just starting to play and don't really understand what awaits me next, maybe tell me where you can get acquainted with the game in more detail.

Elgarion and Violet Ronso like this.
  9. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Sota has so much to offer it can be confusing at first. In your backpack is a little book called Players Guide.
    It will tell you all about the game and how to install and play.
    If you prefer to use a browser to read it, there is a copy here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub

The forum is the place to read about Sota announcements, events and bug reports.
    You make a new login for the forum, but you should use the same name as your avatar or other players who
    want to help you out might have trouble finding you in the game.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php

Go here for dozens of detailed writeups about Sota and where to find all kinds of resources to help you play.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-for-new-and-existing-players.161448/

There is a wiki https://sotawiki.net/sota/Main_Page and there are hundreds of videos on youtube.

If you are in the game and have a question, players with the “Hospitaller” title visible on their characters are
    known to be very helpful, but you can also ask questions of anyone in your chat window. Right click on a player in the game to start a chat.

The Player Guide has a list of Slash Commands that you can issue from your chat window to do a lot of useful things.
    Search in the Player guide document for more on these.
    Some useful ones are:
    /l brings up local chat
    /z brings up zone chat, which reaches a little further distance on the overworld or the whole area in a zone.

Toggle between chat and playing the game by pressing "enter"

If you have more questions, I'm Kelly O'Shay in the game. Add me to friends. Press F, enter my name.
    Great to meet you! Have fun playing Sota!

Elgarion, Wilfred and Violet Ronso like this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Hello and welcome! I’d recommend finishing all 3 outskirts areas and doing all the quests in them. That will give you a good idea how the basic game works. If you need help with those areas I have guides for each area here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ting-started-the-outskirts-and-beyond.161220/

Also, when you are in game, at the top right of your screen is a ? Icon with the name Help. Click that to read some very basic information on the game as well.

And always feel free to ask any questions. People here are always happy to help.

Elgarion, Wilfred and Kelly O'Shay like this.
  11. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Well, howdy-ho! Just started playing Sota for about the past week after seeing it on Steam, and I've been having a lot of fun so far!

Used to play UO years and years ago on Great Lakes, and played probably all of (or at least most of) the Ultima games before that. I think I have a decent enough grip on how things go in the game so far, but I did have some questions; one being, why does my character's damage not match the listed damage for his weapon(s)..? For example, it could be listed as 9~15 damage and I'll only be dealing 6~8 or so... Strange, that, but maybe the given range is based off of optimal stats...? Also, what is a good way to go about getting a rent-free lot? Because taxes are killing my ability to do much, financially! >_<

Apologies for the long-winded 'introduction', but happy to be on board as a player, regardless!

Wilfred and Elgarion like this.
  12. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

The game is absolutely amazing and the community is extremely friendly and helpful. There is going to be an overwhelming amount of information about everything from owning your own home, to decorating it, to even going on quests that grant items to deco your home. The combat glyph system is the most dynamic, customizable entity in the game and the cool thing is..there is no wrong way to play. You simply can build your deck and lock or unlock glyphs to create your own combat experience. Learning all the subtleties about the game is literally years of enjoyment!!!! Have fun and spread the word,...our game will boom with more players!!

mrvongrimmsy0, Wilfred and Elgarion like this.
  13. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

Mr. Vongimmsy,

With Crowns of the Obsidians you can transition your taxed lot to a Tax free lot, but that can be expensive "in game" to make that change or if you have some spare real cash you can purchase "cotos" from the store. The power of your character is directly related to your skills. Your skills are improved by gaining experience via either quests or killing monsters. There is an "XP" pool that improves your skills. As those skills go up, the pool is depleted...you can increase the pool as stated earlier by doing quests and killing monsters. The larger the pool the more points are allocated and the faster your skills will improve. This makes questing very important early on...Feel free to ask for some help on where to go...universe chat or finding a guild will help a great deal with all of that. Also, look for Voltage Hurricane online or Celestial Whisper. I enjoy helping new players get started in our world. Remember you can be anything you want in this game and it will work with enough time and experience. You can be a Fire magic wielding 2handed sword slinging pyromaniac, or an air magic Thor-like character that wields a shield and hammer while casting lightning bolts and raining down a storm. Or, you can worship the lunar stars with Moon magic and rain down Meteors in a shower of glory. The options are limitless...you can duel wield swords and cast Earthquakes from the Earth magic school and there are some magic that you can combine across different magic schools to create new spells.

Truly...the game is like discovering a new world where you decide what you want to be, how you want to play. And the way you look itself is 100% customizable. Just to give you an example...I built my main in the spirit of a Flash/Thor character. He is a PURE air mage...He runs extremely fast like the Flash, he casts lightning bolts and creates area effect discharges that stun everything around me. I'm actually a medium level character, but I can kill dragons. My look is that of a sparkling celestial star blue with my own emblem of a lightning bolt across my chest and on my cloak. This is just one example...

Your adventure awaits!!

14. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Thanks for the offer of help, and the helpful advice! :D I'll probably have to take you up on that, at some point.

So far, I've been focusing mainly on craft skills. As far as actual build goes, I've been leaning into Lunar/Subterfuge and dual-wielding daggers, with a dash of parry/riposte. Since my character isn't too strong yet, I use stealth to infiltrate zones that are typically above my level - secure the resources I need, which can be hit or miss with the level difference gutting my gather chances - and then abscond away to my hideout to refine and craft. Certainly suboptimal, but also loads of fun. ^_^

One more question I had, and then I'll stop gumming up the welcome thread with my hogwash: Is there an xp cap, ala the 600 point soft cap from UO..? I looked around for a bit, and couldn't find any concrete info about it, but I could have easily overlooked something~

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

All skills cap at level 200. But as you level skills they start costing more and more xp. You more than likely will never get a skill that high due to the astronomical xp cost to raise it that high.

mrvongrimmsy0 likes this.
  16. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

This pretty much answers my question and functions as I'd hoped; I'll be working on GM'ing all of the craft skills then. :D

Anpu likes this.
  17. OpenIp

OpenIp Avatar

Hello everyone my name is David and I am 25 years old, I live in New York.I'm new to the forum, I hope for friendly communication!!

Anpu likes this.
  18. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Sorry to post this here, but I couldn't find a 'Support' section, and I haven't spent the $1 required to post my own threads (and this message is directly related to the second point).

I potentially wanted to sign up for the Rewards Program, but unfortunately, Steam Community forums are blocked in my location; thus, when I try to 'Sign in through Steam' to use my account as the one used for the Rewards Program, the page just times out as expected. Oddly enough, I use Steam to sign into the game itself daily without a hitch.

I guess my question is... Is there any way around this? I used this account (mrvongrimmsy0) to make a secondary character, which I seldom even log in on. I'd hate to be stuck into using that character and missing out on titles and items my Steam-linked character is due (assuming they're account-locked, hopefully they aren't) just because of silly internet issues.

Thanks in advance to whomever can help with this, and again, apologies for gumming up the welcome thread!

EDIT: Alternatively, some way to sign into the Sota main page via Steam, without actually needing to go through Steam directly..? Any help is certainly welcome!

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

When you load up the game, just enter your account name and password. You do not need to click the login using steam button.

20. mrvongrimmsy0

mrvongrimmsy0 Avatar

Therein lies the problem, though - my main character has been linked to the Steam account since I made him (since I first started playing), and I'm not sure which part of my Steam credentials Sota is using.

This forum account - mrvongrimmsy0 - was made primarily to post on the forums here, as Steam Community is unavailable for me here like I mentioned. I used the same account to make a second character to try a different build, pretty much.

EDIT: My main concern is whether or not I have to link my Rewards Program membership with a character I don't play; I mean ultimately, I'd only be losing out on the 3-month titles as they accrued (since I could likely trade the other items to my main character), but that would still suck since I'd basically be paying for something I'm not getting (the titles). I just hope someone familiar with Steam and how it connects to Sota can chime in, and shed some light on this situation. ~_~

Also, the FAQ regarding connecting Sota to Steam needs updating - I checked there first, but didn't find anything useful, unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021