1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you declare Open PvP, either as a guild or as an individual, and you can PvP with consent anywhere, how is that not Open PvP?

If you are talking about nonconsensual PvP, then I can't help you. These aren't the droids you are looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.

2. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

If that's all you will accept than you are going to be disappointed. I suggest playing Ultima Online as I hear it's exactly like what you want.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

.... and use the fluffy animals to bait the unicorn, and the glitter to blind it...

docdoom77 and mitchellhamilton like this.
  4. monxter

monxter Avatar

I don't see the problem with ransom. Win fight, take stuff, or get cash. Lose and lose the item or pay cash to get it back. Risk / reward, no problem for me.

I've done full loot pvp as well as no loot pvp. Both were fun, this should be a fun system as well, being something in the middle. I think there are several great ideas in the post which I'm excitedly looking forward to.

5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

+10

I like so far, but my main concern is how are they defining "open pvp" when the game is divided by POI zoned instances?

Hard to imagine them not making something more like battlefronts than any sort of open fighting.

Also, i see things like trophy more like fluffy stuff. Cool but not prioritt.

P

Tiggis likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Has anyone just consider restricting loot to consumables & resources? If the big issue with 'full' loot is the gear.. then just don't allow looting of gear. What then is the issue with everything else?

Time Lord, Aegis159, Mishri and 4 others like this.
  7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm, Personally I would suggest something more modern, since UO is pretty antiquated.

Perhaps Archeage ? Or "Life Is Feudal" ? Both appear to be shaping up to have a lively free-for-all PvP environment, from what I have read.

Not my cup of tea mind you, but personally I actually like the design the devs have laid out for this game, it suits my PvP *and* non-PvP interests quite nicely. :)

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Actually I am a big fan for consumable, resources and gold dropping. Most of the NWN PVP servers I played did exactly that and I did not notice any problems with it. Most PVP encounters were resource related since the raw materials for crafting were more important than the loot you carried.

9. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

My two cents:

I like where this is going. As far as loot goes, I think that the victor in a PvP fight should have access to CERTAIN items and can take them at will:

Head Slot
    Hand Slot
    Foot Slot
    Ring Slots
    Main backpack
    Gold

Anything in those spots should probably be fully accessible, as this is 'easy pickings' right after a fight. Stripping off main armor or pants or digging through smaller bags might be a bit more of a stretch. That stuff is covered in sweat, gore and other grossness and should probably be left alone and stinky.

Other than that, I'm a fan of the ransom idea to a point, but I'd like to see if fleshed out a bit. How about a loser can pay the ransom and the winner can actually refuse to return the item after they get the gold. They are now a criminal! This on top of any possible criminal flags for the PvP itself. Just a thought.

Anyway, this is about what I expected it to be and I can't say I'm disappointed! Please add some war zones and some raids! Just for fun!

P.S. - Hey, is that PvP specific enchantment useable in PvE as well, or is it an on/off thing depending on the flag of the player? I'd hate for there to be a PvP specific thing that would completely unbalance PvE play....

10. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Im ok with everything except loot... the ransom system is fine by me but lets compromise n atleast get 3 items

Pluvius, acrylic_300 and Abydos like this.
  11. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I have to admit the random/ransom looting leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The ransom part of looting is something that should be RPed, not be a game mechanic. Instead of the PVP loot being random, the victor can view the contents of the deceased player's backpack, but is only able to loot 1 or 2 items. Maybe there could be a PVP skill that would allow ability to loot more items? I am all for trophies, the trophies should not be counted as one of the loot-able items, but as an optional item. I am all for certain monsters being able to loot 1-2 items as well.

As other people have pointed out, backer pledge items and items purchased from the add-on store should not be loot-able ever.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think you are being very optimistic in a very dark situation here. I saw in the previous thread that one of your guild members was very disappointed and you had to reason with him in that thread, as I'm sure you reasoned with your guild. I've seen your posts in all the PvP threads... you advocated for a PvP system that is totally different than this current design. (This is clearly not the type of PvP design you've been advocating for at all in the PvP threads). Where are the PKs? where is the looting of items? What about the Love of Gear being the root of evil or whatever??? ALL of the crap you advocated against is here. Go back and reread what you posted and everybody else read it too.

You are very persuasive speaker, you pledged high for this game, and I'm sure you really really want this game to work. I don't doubt many in your guild are trying the game because of your recommendation. However I think you are making a stretch to think this is still the game you pledged for, and hoping that something good will happen with this game because you really hoped (like many of the rest of us) that this game would be a true spiritual successor to UO in particular.

This isn't the first issue to arise that has bothered me, but it is the last. It's because the key components of the game are broken. The combat system and PvP are completely broken. They had to change their schedule to fix certain issues, and I seriously doubt they will have the time (or desire) to change the card combat system either.

It's commendable that you wish to hang around and support this, but I'm done supporting this game because they knew their PvP system was radically different than the one we all talked about in the PvP threads for almost a year. They obviously needed to get more pledges from the PvP community, and then build a PvP system different than what those people were asking for.

>>>> Making the PvP skills and items be a separate leveling system and item bonuses added along side the normal items is a good fix, but you can't really fix something that was designed to be broken to begin with though.

Sorry Owain you may be a PvPer, but do you honestly think this is a good PvP system, or are you just making due with what you got?

13. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Me to.. pvers n pvpers have to compromise a bitbut itseems that only the pvpers are.. 1 item? make it atleast 2 good items n unlimited gold resources n consumables

Abydos likes this.
  14. monxter

monxter Avatar

Heh, that's very true. I wouldn't mind if it was for example 1-3 items that could be looted.

Why not, would make sense. However at the moment I feel like the looter should have a choice... It'd be somehow rewarding to choose I want to loot :p

15. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

Ned888, you beat me to it. We pretty much have the same idea when it comes to looting. I do also like the idea of only resources, gold and consumables being loot-able.

Ned888 likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love the ransom system, I'm not sure why some people have a problem with it. I think it fairly distributes the risk of being looted.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think you are being overly pessimistic.
    Guilds and cat herding. Very similar.
    I've been involved in software development for over 3o years. You never get everything for which you advocate

Actually, this is pretty close to what was originally advertised in the Kickstarter. I have been going against the current the entire time. I wasn't sure we'd get Open PvP, but we did. I've actually gotten more than I ever expected I would get.
    I think you had unrealistic expectations, not based upon anything the devs have said, but perhaps based upon suggestions made by silver tongued devils such as myself.

The KGB has adapted to everything that has been thrown at us. UO originally had a reputation system very unlike what it evolved into. We analyzed, adapted, improvised, and overcame. Each shard was split into Trammel and Felucia. We moved to Siege Perilous. EA/Origin eventually crippled even Siege Perilous. We moved to DaOC/ShadowBane/Darkfall, and numerous other MMOs.

The KGB doesn't depend upon any game to determine our destiny, or our history. There is no perfect game. There is enough in Sota for us to move here and make it our own. We decide that, not Portalarium. SotA isn't UO, but that isn't required. We will have Open PvP, and as we know more about the what impact the Virtues have upon PvP, I'm confident there will be villains who will require our immediate attention.

Evaluate, improvise, adapt, and overcome. I think the Marines follow that motto, and if it's good enough for the Marines, it's good enough for me.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Because as it's presented it's inherently flawed. Putting aside the disappointment factor of 1 item for a moment. As I've put forth before. If the ransom is high then it encourages people to NOT use their best gear.. which is opposite of what the devs intended. People will wear lesser gear to avoid having to pay a higher ransom in order to keep their good stuff. If the ransom is low then no one will ever not pay it since they want to keep their stuff. In which case it defeats the purpose of having loot at all.

Plus it favors the rich player over the poor. To a rich player a set ransom determined by the game is a trivial thing. While for the poor player pretty much any ransom is going to be too high when you're struggling to get ahead. So if ransom is based at all on item value the poor player will leaving their good stuff in the bank. Again, contrary to the design goal.

This is what one of those ideas that may sound good on paper.. but factoring in likely player behavior there's little chance that it will produce the desired result.

Add that it's a forced mechanic. Not natural feeling at all. It just screams "hey! you're playing a G-A-M-E". Some people don't care but for others it's major unnecessary immersion breaking time here.

Time Lord, Ferrus and Kaisa like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Then why do you so badly want to loot them?

There is a system in place for OTHER forms of risk, not just item loss. They didn't detail the rewards as this is not a "PvP, Death, and Rewards" thread. There can easily be other things involved with PvP that will be rewarding.

You will never have non consensual PvP. Not for long at least, those player don't stick around long.

Silent Strider and docdoom77 like this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

A moment of laughter will do us good.

[​IMG] This is my loot, from my last KILL :D

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.