OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS ** [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Hexus, Dec 26, 2014.

?

OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS **

1. OPEN PvP

39.4%
  2. SELECTIVE PvP

60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

If others keep saying it.. Maybe people want it.... just as much as others do not. Just play the game in single player mode then... or with friends. if you are that scared of people having free will

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's impossible to argue religious conviction with facts an logic... but I'll leave these two bits of history for you.

Richard's own words: The Tale of the Griefer Thief
    An article by Lum the Mad: The Unbearable Darkness of Ultima Online
    (Another of the primary developers on UO and Shroud of the Avatar)

Should you decide to read them, rather than cling to the fantasy construct you've built up in your mind over the years, you'll gain some insight into the actual feelings of the developers.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

In those games the PvP is completely a different world. That is not the case in SotA. Your comparison is simply a way to over generalize and reject something that is not exactly your way.

The meta server and hex based scenes will keep you in all the PvP you desire. Those that do not ever wish to PvP won't exist to you. Feel free to pretend they are playing WoW.

Open up and accept that SotA will allow for the PvP you wish. Just not everyone will be forced into it.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Nice to meet you. I hope you find what you're looking for. Goodbye.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It's in writing, checks in the bank, deal is signed, consensual PvP is fact and hear to stay. Now, assuming the PvP will be like some other game is selling your self short. Your choice.

Heradite likes this.
  6. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

On the subject of what's up for debate and what some keep coming here thinking they can change by being aggressive and ranting about the glories of the first 2 out of 17 years of UO........

First https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

in which DS says: "Rest assured that no matter what we do, players who wish to avoid PVP will never be forced to participate in PVP nor will there ever be non-consensual PVP."

Also, the links that Rufus linked in his post are very informative.

7. Darian

Darian Guest

The big issue is that an sadly substantial part of the PvP community does overdo it.
    I am all for PvP ...

BUT IN CONTEXT

And that is why i prefer PvE. To many PvP players overdo it, gank whoever they want, wherever they want.
    Things like factions, reasons (like, I am of guild x, he is of guild y, we are official at war) do not play any role for these people.
    "Sandbox" this term makes my skin official crawl because it means "gank wherever and whenever i can" to many people.

That leads to newbies pastet every ten meters, who then leave the game. To character always geared and specced for PvP

People not trusting any one they do not know.

RP (because, you know, this game is not "Shroud of the avatar, ARENA" ) it is shroud of the avatar, an game that happens in an magical steampunkish medival setting, and threre is some pvp too...

So my point is, if you have the open pvp you end with generic characters who are specced to be good at one thing, pvp, and everything else is second row.

PvP needs the most and strongest rules of all game play, not because "all pvp players are gankers" but because some of them do exploit the systhem inside the rules to the fullest.

Some people like to play the game for social reason, because they want to life a fairy fantasy, with a few shiny knights and magicians and well fairies too, but are not in it to get slaughtered each time they take a stroll to the woods right behind the towns walls.

These two worlds will never mesh, ever.

Because lets face the truth, if you want to even survive an PvP encounter (or rather your char) you have to streamline its design, no points into things that do not either serve dps or AC, can not afford to, so whole skill trees are not needed, wasted time for the Dev team.

No classes that are bad brawlers, no group oriented chars (or you can not really go anywhere without an group)

In short you end with pvp players only and they do. it annoys me to say it, make most often bloody bad role players.

And then you have the folks i most fondly wish to suffer some wasting disease, the trolls who are masters in just not so breaking the rules and enjoy to make everyone they meet wish they never heard this games name.

And these are who are really hot for open pvp everywhere and anytime because nothing helps them more than that (Kill stealing becomes boring after some time i guess)

8. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I know if there was open non-consensual, I would never leave single player modes. Never.

FrostII, Dryxaline, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  9. funke1984

funke1984 Avatar

I know not supposed to post opinion but cant help it...
    when I first played uo I hated getting pked,..I would yell and scream at the computer,, then regear go back and try and get my stuff sometime id win some times id lose.. ive played just about every game out there since and to be honest no other game has gave me that edge the fear that fun ,, open pvp gives a game sooo much more then anything else.. yes there will be asses but you get friends together and go kill them,, and yes I went pk toward the end of uo .. (when they changed everything to make it easyer).. and most people whom hated pks started going out of there way to hunting reds... all that said I hope its open and they alow some kind of player kill loot

blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome funke1984!

Your opinion is both important and welcome!

11. Master Kush

Master Kush Avatar

I voted for open pvp, but its not like its ever going that direction.

Tahru and blaquerogue like this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I suppose I'm a different breed of Pvp'er. I've played UO, DAOC, Asheron's Call, WoW, and many other mmo's over the years. I've seen the good and the bad of Pvp'ers. There's the many ganker/griefers and then there are the few honorable Pvp'ers. I found very little honorable PvP'ers in UO, maybe a handful in all the years I played and lived in Felucca. I never killed crafters or gathers, and I never killed people just out trying to buy stuff from vendors, I hunted PvP'ers. I found the honorable PvP'ers in Daoc, on my server Guinevere were plentiful. PvP'ers in Daoc on my server were honorable, gracious, and they had reason to kill anyone coming into their lands, it wasn't to grief people to no end and make them want to quit. It was their lands and if you were there, you knew without a doubt they would defend it and you would be hunted down. You also knew you would be treated with respect as an enemy too. I never had an encounter in Daoc where I was defeated and I wasn't bowed to by an opponent. If we killed an enemy in our lands, it was common practice we would bow to our fallen foes as a way of respect. We respected a good fight from our enemies and we did not sit on their faces or dance on their heads, or laugh and dance on their corpses, we did not dishonor them. They did their best and we respected that.

What I'm seeing from the majority, (not all) from this community of PvP'ers is not the honorable PvP'ers I prefer. The majority I see here don't have respect for opponents, and don't encourage people that may not be so skilled to try PvP, knowing they will be treated with respect, you show them you will grief them to no end. What this does is turn me (that loves pvp) into also not wanting to take part in PvP. I don't want to be associated with that set of dishonorable people that I saw in UO and am seeing here.

I understand that is people's choice to be that way, you're free to choose that way of PvP in this game. All it does is dwindle your numbers and leaves you with the same few people to fight day in and day out, and leaves you to whine about not having many enemies to kill, and cry for more ways to bring in the inexperienced so your playtime can be more fun by griefing them constantly. I see no reason for me to take part in PvP now in this game. Thread after thread has shown me this is not the sort of PvP people I prefer and shows me I don't want to be associated with those sorts, as I would be seen just as they are lumped into the same PvP crowd, even if I am an honorable PvP player.

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

@Ice Queen

I think people know the difference between a griefer and not. In Wow, it is common for toons to steal nodes from other players fighting past the mobs to reach them. That always urked the hell out of me and note that this only happens in PVE zones, so they can do it with immunity. But that does not mean I have to give up gathering because some of them are pricks. I only see a few PvPers that most would call griefers on here. At least with a PvP greifer, it gives other PvPers someone to bring down the hammer of vengeance on with a good conscience. Unfortunately the PVE griefers are untouchable have no upside.

Moonshadow and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Except in this game it's easy to avoid griefing pve people, you're not forced to compete with them for resources or mobs, we can simply go into single player offline and enjoy it all to yourself without worry of them. :)

FrostII, Dryxaline, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  15. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

OP asks for people to refrain from providing opinions. People provide opinions.

MMO players /facepalm.

16. JUMBOTA

JUMBOTA Avatar

As a spiritual successor to UO, i would certainly hope that this game has the open PVP system and the full loot system, or else I am already regretting my pledge.

17. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

SotA is the spiritual successor of all Ultima games. This are 9 Ultima single player games , 2 Ultima Underworld single player games, 2 Ultima Adventure single player games and 1 UO MMO game. Everyone can get this information for free.

steanne likes this.
  18. Red2

Red2 Avatar

Please separate the full time PvP players and players who flag on and off. I have no interest in even seeing players like that.

19. Red2

Red2 Avatar

Why can't we have both. Why can't the PvE players have there selective/casual PvP by themselves and let the PvPers have open PvP by themselves.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's bizarre how much this is lost on people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.