OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS ** [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Hexus, Dec 26, 2014.

?

OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS **

1. OPEN PvP

39.4%
  2. SELECTIVE PvP

60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Most certainly, and I fully support consensual PvP. That includes not designing systems to be highly PvP centric to defacto force PvP.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Ah, the fetid stench of swinging epeen.

Phredicon likes this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

I prefer the Saruman version, it is shorter:)

Lord Baldrith, E n v y and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I... Cant... Resist... Trololo cat ftw!

And since i'm here... Selective PVP; if somebody doesn't want to take part in pvp, he's free to stay apart. Why is this being discussed again?

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Completely agree........it's just that some players don't seem to understand that by selecting PvP they have actually consented to being attacked at any time and anywhere.

6. Net

Net Avatar

That depends on the point of view a lot. If I flag for PvP, I want you to have option to attack me. I do not want to be attacked though! Devs need to make meaningful consequences for attacking others. From low for attacking in open PvP areas to harsh in cities and other protected locations.

I would also like to see more PvP hexes on the map though, not just Brave Coast. I would think that if Mysterious Swamp offered the best resources and was PvP area, a lot of PKs would move there from skill trainers. It is hard to distinguish between pure griefing and playing bad guys at this time, because the PvP population is low and there are not many places where you can be sure to meet other PvPers...
    Having working guards and reputation system would help too. One of my big issues with PvP right the other day was, that I wanted to talk with someone in Owl's Head, but I could not get to answer, because I was getting attacked... It actually made me to unflag for a while (though I had other reasons for it). I am afraid that if some people cannot play the game because they are constantly attacked, or at least in the short while they tried PvP, they simply will avoid the PvP for the rest of the game and PvP will become free for all, well not all, rather those few flagged:) I would like PvP more balanced to allow player who like PvP as one of many things that game can offer to enjoy the other aspects of the game, without PvP getting in their way all the time.

Gaelis and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I completely agree, I would be amazed if you could attack a random person within a Town/City without guards being involved.......but regardless of whether guards intervene or not; the principle that if you are flagged you can be attacked anywhere is a reasonable principle.

I have been really surprised by the lack of player towns that are likely to adopt open PvP, based upon the current numbers I would completly agree that there needs to be more PvP hexes flagged as PvP whether that is within small towns/villages or more wilderness areas.

Net and blaquerogue like this.
  8. ranjiticus

ranjiticus Avatar

I'll never understand people who want a sandbox minus the risk. If you ask anyone who played UO they will tell you how awesome the game was until the introduction of trammel.

The wolves want no consequence while the sheep want no risk. To me a compromise is not a blanket no risk for everyone unless they opt in.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If this was strictly a sandbox game there might be a point here.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You need not understand, merely accept that they exist. That's what I do. I've never been able to understand those that wish to attack, in a game, those that don't wish to be attacked. I've never been able to understand people who derive joy in the discomfiture of others. However, I understand that they exist, as I have seen them with mine own eyes, and experienced them first hand. I accept this, and wish for them an outlet for their ... pleasure. I only ask for reciprocity and the ability to not participate as I do not find it entertaining.
    As this is an absolute, it is demonstrably false given a single counterexample. I am the required counterexample. I played UO prior to Trammel. I played UO prior to release in both phases of the Beta. I played UO prior to Beta in the Alpha test. I have both my opened Charter Edition, and a second unopened one still in its shrink wrap with the cardboard shipping box. I contributed to the Prima Guide. I will tell you how Horrid UO was after release and prior to the introduction of Trammel. Had I perceived Any possibility that Shroud of the Avatar were to be at all similar to Pre-Trammel UO I never would have backed this endeavor.

Ice Queen, Xandra7, Spoon and 4 others like this.
  11. ranjiticus

ranjiticus Avatar

I never said anything about neglecting their existence. I'd enjoy this sort of activity in game, you wouldn't. I re-iterate by saying I don't believe a good compromise is a blanket "nobody can be attacked unless they flip a switch." Personally I enjoy a good risk vs reward system with that added level of danger. It makes the game more immersive for me. I suppose if there were enough open world areas where it was free to attack that would be decent.

Awesome. How cool it must have been to be apart of so many stages of UO as it progressed. I too played during Beta. I've been a long time supporter of the game and actually did development on some of the larger player run server projects that tried to re-create that specific rulest. I've met Sir G and talked his ear off about how much influence that game and its community has had on me and many gamers I know. Sorry, I suppose I exaggerated when I said "anyone." 99% of the people who I know and have gamed with for years refer back to pre-renaissance UO as the glory days of mmorpg gaming. I'm sorry you don't hold those memories as fondly as I do.

But by all means, please elaborate and tell me how horrid UO was after release and prior to Trammel. I actually do want to hear your experience.

Had I not perceived that Sota would have many similar elements to Ultima Online (Any ruleset) I probably wouldn't have backed this endeavor either.

12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Selective...

Ice Queen and Sir Cabirus like this.
  13. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

They could have 2 servers... Open PVP server and a fluffy bunny rabbit rainbows and lolly pops server.

I for one want a New Ultima Online... Pre - Trammel.

If there is no thieving, killing, looting, ect.

there will be no reason to even play this game. will be the same thing as every other mmorpg out today... Kill monsters over and over and over and over and over.... no excitement.. just repetitive motions.

I read threads everywhere about the game... and I see alot of people saying " UO 2" and "The next UO". HOW?!?!?! Without Open PVP and Looting? THEY OBVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED UO.

-Risk and Reward is how I vote... Open pvp outside of cities just like how UO was. Full loot system

Phenom Ill Il IlI l and Budner like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Get used to disappointment.

Ice Queen, Sir Cabirus and steanne like this.
  15. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

You want to PvP, I want to Blacksmith.. If you get the ability to force me to PvP, I get the ability to force you to make Chainmail Leggings. I don't care if you're busy doing a quest or talking to a skill trainer or right in the middle of PvPing, when I show up, you stop what you're doing and start making chainmail.

Deal?

What's that? You don't want to be forced to do crafting because it isn't the type of play style you enjoy? But -I- want to craft, so everyone should be forced to do it, because it's what I personally want to do! If you don't craft, why... You're just a fuzzy wuzzy rainbow ******** for not crafting, that's what you are! Now this is going to be like every other MMO where no one is forced to craft unless they "opt in", LAME!

Am I being too subtle here or...?

16. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

We need a forced gather zone where everything is gatherable, can hardly move without seeing something to gather.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I am so glad this isn't uo2 even though it looks like they are catering to that "crowd."

Sir Cabirus and Heradite like this.
  18. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Then I guess you'll have no reason to play this game. There is no thieving, limited looting, and selective PVP. It won't be the same as every other MMORPG out today but I imagine you don't actually care about the story.

19. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

It wont be much of anything... It will fissle out very quickly without having that competitive driving force behind it...

It will not be able to compete with the other mainstream games.

And

I had many crafters, gatherers, tamers, ect in many games... Including UO. No one is forcing you to pvp. I had a PK on my UO account ( a red murderer). I wouldn't waste my time killing crafters or miners or lumberjackers ect... Why take a count for little or nothing to gain out of it... That is why they had systems in place. Later they added that you would get "Auto-Whacked" by guards for even entering towns when a murderer... and if someone attacked you in town that was not a murderer... they also would be auto-whacked...

I cannot understand you're point... The game is going to just be another spin off of WoW / Fable / Elder Scrolls... Ect.

# UO died a lot when trammel came about and ever since then... it kept losing membership month by month day by day... and now barely anyone plays. I WONDER WHY!

UO = Complete and utter freedom... whether that being you wanted to kill a dragon, tame a horse, sit around and talk to people, sell things, craft things, gather materials, decorate your house.... Or on the flip side. (just like real life) Murder people, steal their belongings, ect.

You people play this to escape from you're normal lives... why would you not want complete and utter freedom to do whatever you want...

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
  20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

What I want is udder freedom... Now bring on the cows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.