OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS ** [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Hexus, Dec 26, 2014.

?

OPEN PvP vs SELECTIVE PvP ** YOUR VOTE MATTERS **

1. OPEN PvP

39.4%
  2. SELECTIVE PvP

60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Actually, if you looked at the real numbers rather than PK nostalgia, UO got more players once trammel was introduced. The only thing that died off was the population of Felucca itself, because people preferred Trammel. For the years I played UO after Trammel was introduced, not once did it ever, ever look like it didn't have a high population.

As for why hardly anyone plays now? Geez, iunno... The game is 20 years old and outdated as hell, maybe?

And when it comes to utter freedom, the vast majority of players want the utter freedom to enjoy their playtime, and not run around getting ganked over and over. People who want PvP can flag themselves for PVP, Visit Player owned Towns with open PvP, or go to the Shardfall areas for even more PvP... People who do not want to do that, don't... That's freedom, the ability to do what you choose to do, without infringing on someone else's freedom by making them do something they don't want to do.

2. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

THEN PLAY EVERY OTHER MMORPG out there... none of them force pvp. This game will be a clone of all the others.. and fall on its face because it cannot compete with the Giants in this industry.

Richard Garriott needs to reproduce a new age UO to succeed... making a game the same as the competition? HE WONT HAVE A CHANCE... Tabula rasa is a prime example

ultima online worked because the Risk and Reward involved...

3. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

Its a simple concept... Do you run around in the bad area's of town in real life and expect good things to happen??!?! HELL NO..... soo you might as well just kill yourself in real life because you do not have complete and utter freedom to walk the street without worrying about being raped, murdered, or robbed

4. Gareth Caliborne

Gareth Caliborne Avatar

Clearly you're not open to hearing the other side of the discussion, so I shall refrain from trying.

Here's hoping you find what you're looking for in a game.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No.

I backed this one, with an insanely large sum of money, on the expressed promise that PvP would be consensual, and that this would NOT be UO2.

You go find something that fits your requirements rather than try and change the basic design premise for this one that was set from day one.

6. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

Being a villain is RP'ing... People wan't to RP being a murderer or a bad guy... because you cannot do this in real life. Its just like some peoples fantasies of being a blacksmith or a dragon slayer.

7. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

^Believe this is what those shards/pvp areas are suppose to be for? They do officially state somewhere around here that the PVP areas will have more resource in greater numbers.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
  8. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

So, why not go rampage on another person who has similar ideas like you? One that is already ready, willing and waiting for you to come at them?:D

Ice Queen and Sir Cabirus like this.
  9. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

every other game is like this already... This is why I would love to pledge thousands of my dollars if I knew I had a game that wasn't going to be the same ole crap.

UO was a masterpiece... and Richard Garriott is the only shinning light that can bring us another master piece like that ATM.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
  10. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Phenom Ill Il IlI l Avatar

From the City in the sky and house of Legend's
    Thanks 4EverLost

In that case I think it will turn out to be pretty well balanced for everyone.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Your freedom is my freedom from others. Impose your will on those that are open to it, as SotA is designed, allow those that have no interest to be free of that.

I don't see the problem.

12. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

enjoy your WoW / Everquest game with a different name.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Great. You're free to do that with all the other people that've consented to play your game. I've no desire to participate.

Ice Queen and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I plan to. Thank you.
    Hope you find what you're looking for too.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

You do realize that everything you liked about UO were consequences of the design that Richard never foresaw or intended.
    The game you atribute to him occured, not by design, but by an overestimation of human nature.
    He's vowed never to make the same mistakes again.

16. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

We are pre - Alpha and they allow all us to be here to help mold it into a game that suites us all. I understand that you don't want what some things others may want but to tell them not to try and make changes to cater to a wider variety of players will only limit the game to players as yourself and exclude those who might want something else. So please debate but don't try and talk others from "trying" to get something else out of this game that you don't like. Because in pre - Alpha nothing is set in stone in any game, instead they try and find ways to make the game appeal to the most people possible so as make a really great game. Not just a great game for you, and the same goes for any others that might not agree with you.

17. Poodiddly

Poodiddly Avatar

Well do you realize most inventions / world changing discoveries are all by accident? you're point is moot.

If what you say is true... that he vowed to never have open pvp / looting again.

Then this game will fail... Because that oversight of human nature made the game. that is why it was so great.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Some things are not up for debate... primary among them is Fully Consensual PvP.

Feel free to ***** and moan and present the same tired and fallacious arguments and supporting "facts", almost all spurious, but they won't change that basic tenet of the design.

Nothing you've said hasn't been said before. You've presented no new evidence to support your position or strengthen your cause. You're simply repeating again what has been said by others before, yet PvP remains fully consensual.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's "Moot"

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

From what I do and don't know is that LB stepped back from UO and in return the design took path's that he didn't foresee or plan but to say that LB doesn't want to give the people what they want and to deliver a game they want is a bit much don't you think?

It was and is a master piece - You can't convince me that he is ashamed or regret's UO until the day comes forth and say's it himself. Hell it was the best game in all of history!

Poodiddly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.