Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Taming Nerf

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Loaffer, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I didn't see my book last night, where did you get it? Was it in bank, claim items or in your inventory?

Mykll likes this.
  2. Ian Deatheye

Ian Deatheye Avatar

I found a good use for pets. Take em to fight a wolf, when they die rez them to train your resurrections skill (life tree, not taming tree rez). It's the only thing I can use em for now.

Mykll, Govenor Ruin and EtherBunny like this.
  3. Redemption

Redemption Avatar

Feeling pretty disappointing. I want to touch on two particular things here. Before I do I want to say that I was an early adopter of UO back in the day. It was the game that got me into games. Fast forward to adulthood and I am sure many of you can sympathize with what I am about to say. I was quite excited to see Richard starting a new game, especially one that feels so much like a UO reboot. That said I am disappointed.

1. I was one of the optimistic people who felt that the SOTA team would have a good handle on how to adjust pets properly. This is not a reasonable adjustment to the pet/taming system. My pet has become unusable and lame. Hes not much good to me anymore or himself. With that said I will be taking my Obsidian Wolf out back of my house and I will be putting him down in protest of this change. For every action there is a consequence, and this is one of them.

2. The raffle system is lame, it favors those who already have homes and money and I guarantee it will be abused I wont name names but Ive already heard about how certain large groups plan to use that system to take care of their own.

I already have a home, and I am already financially committed to the game, so I will probably keep playing however I had plans to purchase a lot of stuff (mostly furniture and emotes) via the cash shop. That moment will not come. Until something is done to solve this problem my wallet will be closed. I will not spend another dime with this company until you guys get your act together.

I am going to be just about as gentle as I can in saying this but listen up. In between your drunken telethons take a moment when you sober up to really think about what changes you are going to make to OUR game. Take a moment to remember who paid for it, and maybe think twice before you make changes that affect our product.

Extremely disappointing.....

Mykll, Shade Cido and Govenor Ruin like this.
  4. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

So....just a question, but how many people that are upset with taming post-R33, have the needed skills, at least 70-80+? I'm just wondering, because like a lot of people have said (here and elsewhere), the main reason for this was to stop new players from wrecking zones they shouldn't be wrecking. Also, I know 70-80 isn't that large in regards to taming now, but still, it at least shows SOME effort, instead of 20 in taming, then just heal and rez, or just get the pet and go for it. But seriously, if this release killed your cash cow, boo f*ckin hoo. If you worked, and put in effort in the taming tree....my condolences. Now, with that out of the way, give it time. Remember the auto-attack melee lunge of death for R32? See how that isn't here anymore, because just about everyone hated it? So give taming time, and see what future releases have in store. If taming was your only means of virtual escape, maybe it's time to try a different play-style. Go craft, pick up magic, hell....dual-wield a sword and an axe/hammer/whatever. Go check out new zones. Do something else. Taming was not, and is not the end-all be-all skill/tree of the game. So....have a great Friday!! :D

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're sad that it's caused this much confusion. Please know that we are currently balancing taming, we're not out to destroy it :). We swung the balance pendulum a little bit too far one way, and will swing it back some in upcoming patches. Your thoughts here on how to actually resolve it, not just complain about it, are helpful as well :).

Also, it's important to know that taming was never meant to be such an easy grab. Pets are not immortal, and they are not there to be your replacement for romping around zones without concern. we have to find a middle-ground on the system, and with your help, we will!

6. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

<3 :D

7. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

If you want to talk realistic, then you shouldn't be able to tame and train any animal. You should be able to get it to 'hang around and tolerate people'. And then you should need to enact a breeding program over hundreds and thousands of years where you select the offspring most likely to work with you and submit to your orders until you end up with a domesticated animal. And at that point, no. Your tamed and trained animal is not likely as strong as the wild version. Wolves definitely have more power than most dogs.

This is a game. Realism is thrown way out the window already.

Mykll likes this.
  8. Frosin

Frosin Avatar

Thanks for giving us some hope that this tree might still worth the time investment eventually.

9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

All hope is not yet lost. Per Chris, this is the spider with combat training.

[​IMG]

10. Jasper8282

Jasper8282 Avatar

@Berek I don't want to speak for most of the people here, but I think we understand that the game and skills will always be changing. Taming definitely was overpowered and needed to be reworked. Like you said and how I said, I think it was just overkill what was done. We know that things will be adjusted again. Unfortunately for me, it feels like 80% of the time I've spent in game was to gear for taming and now all of that XP is somewhat useless. Until then, I have to go back to 1 skull zones and work on other skills.

What I REALLY wish though is that we, as tamers, want taming to be considered an actual profession and class. Not some support tree like Chris said. We understand that our creatures are not immortal and we do not expect to romp across 5 skull zones. However, we do expect them to be a primary weapon for us. Well let me correct myself.... I. I want this. I don't want to speak for every tamer. I want the pet to be the focus as a tamer, with the me being support. Not the other way around. I want to be able to tame dragons (even if it is at 190+). I want the pet that I have out accompanying me to be viewed by others as a trophy of "Wow, he has a <insert pet type>". I personally want a taming system that is somewhat like UO's system. Tamers can sell to other tamers. Creatures are all different from each other. Not every obsidian bear will be the same as other obsidian bears.

I will not be spending these books to lose 10% of my XP that I have spent. Unfortunately I will be very limited until the pendulum swings back to fixing my babies.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Idk I had over 600 in the tree last night, and i noticed with the 4 pt hits from my pet and after the huge focus drain that I was acutally better off with out any pet.

If I added any of the mage pets my outcome was way better. I suppose if you invested the next year to the grind they might be on par with mage pets mabey.

Mykll likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea with 200 skills? Did chris actually level it to that or magically poof it.

Mykll and Ice Queen like this.
  13. jutman

jutman Avatar

So lets just say I use the word "I" because I do not speak for others, although they feel the exact same way as "I" do. It took some talent to just look through my post and repeat everything with the word "I" in it. Even though when I posed, I wish I had a cute emote" that really does nothing to help your argument. Put some thought into your post with some real merit. And your right nobody put an arrow to my head... but nobody also told me taming was broken. Taming seemed pretty reasonable to me WITH the exception that ANYONE could summon a high level pet. Put summoning restrictions on high level pets and instant fix to the problem. Why would you say you would have a problem with having a pet with higher level than you? Can I please point you to a great dragon in UO? it would look really bad on game makers if a greater dragon was not a higher level than its owner. A greater dragon with only 50hp and does 1 damage... yep that makes taming highly desirable. There are those that tame, and there those that don't tame and complain. Nobody forces you to use taming if you don't like it or think it is broken, play the way you want to play and others will play the way they want. And to go one further I know you never had taming because you asked "Why should a tamed animal be stronger than a non tamed animal at the same level?" well here is a fact. They never were as strong as a wild animal. Did you never see a tamed large red spider vs a wild large red spider? The wild large red spider would win every time. You have to manage other mobs... heal your pet.... put some thought into it, not just this mentality that people post on here of "just follow your spider around and loot the dead bodies"

Battle doesn't need a purpose. The battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a field burns or a plague spreads. Don't ask why I fight.

Off topic content edited ~ FireLotus

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
    Purefalcon likes this.
  14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So this is not a system I own but I did just take a look at it and honestly I'm swamped and don't have time to read the 100+ messages here in detail but I will post what I know.

The posts of pets getting nerfed from 400+ hps to 100 hps are accurate BUT only if you don't have any summoning or combat training. If you have those skills, your pet can actually be tougher than it used to be. Here is my spider:
    [​IMG]

My guess is people didn't read or didn't understand the patch notes because I believe this is in there. If not, sorry and now you know!

K, back to fixing stuff..

15. jutman

jutman Avatar

ok so get out of god mode and try it again. use 100 summon and 100 taming and those will not be your results

Mykll, Ice Queen, Shade Cido and 3 others like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Heres the problem at gm skill pets are worthless. I expect you jumped about 2 years worth of work and grind to show that spider.

Mykll, Ice Queen, Jasper8282 and 2 others like this.
  17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

You know what's annoying? It has been no secret how pets "worked" up until now so.. because of the few. the many get screwed. Personally while I had an invitation to go watch a loaned pet lvl me up (which face it is what was going on) but I didn't want to go that route. I have a fair amount of money invested in the game... I did so as I wanted to play and enjoy the game.. not watch a broken mechanic steal my experience from me so I could be an all powerful super char. That whole thing reminds me of how my Diablo1 experience was trashed due to duping. In any event.. by allowing it to continue.. those (I wanna say few as I've seen no hard #'s) who took advantage of the mechanic wind up with the advantage of having what amount to IMO) ill gotten gains and the rest of us are paying for it. How many collective hours have people put into gathering the resources.. training the skill etc to basically have it tossed in the Crap Can? SMH. Alas...the 1%'rs remain the 1% and we the many pay again... :-(

Mykll and Shade Cido like this.
  18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

would you care to also show your taming tree? just so we get an accurate idea of how it works? For the many you know..

Mykll and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Update: Just noticed that the math for this was linear vs exponential so scaling was not as expected. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch and will reduce the pain on this a bit.

20. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

If you have no summoning and combat training skills, a pet starts with 34HP or less, please show me the 100 HP pet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.