Does anybody want a first-person view?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by tekkamansoul, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Line of sight can be implemented so 3rd person does not grant any benefit. In NWN it was isometric, but if you did not detect (hear = transparent / see = full) the person they were not on screen.

2. Gronk

Gronk Avatar

I want the choice of first or third person. I also agree that scrolling out should not provide you a measureable benefit, i.e. stealthed players area still stealthed until you detect them.

3. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Never been a huge fan of 1st person view strangely. I always tended to play in 3rd person mode. To each their own I guess, wouldn't mind it at all if 1st person view was implemented for those that truly wanted it.

BillRoy likes this.
  4. Explorer Hygard Jels

Explorer Hygard Jels Avatar

I plan to play in 3rd peeson even if 1st is an option.

5. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

Just to make sure.... is 3rd person view an isometric view used synonymously in the context of this thread?

6. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think $2.5 mil was the VR goal which has been met. So, given that there will be VR support (for Oculus Rift for example), I think having an optional first person camera would be nice in particular for the VR gear.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I plan to play in 1st person mode, but we'll see. I just hope there will be options for 1st or 3rd based on your preference. It should not require you to play one way or the other.

TigerKhan likes this.
  8. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I'd love to play in 1st person, since you get a feeling of beeing better involved (you are not a god watching over the shoulders, but you are the Avatar and only see what he sees).

But out of my experience I can say that as soon as there is a 3rd person option, most players (and me, too) will switch to the shoulder cam most of the time, simply because of the better overview during combat.

Mordecai likes this.
  9. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I have to correct myself. As was pointed out elsewhere, they're saying that since they hit the goal after KS VR isn't a given.

That aside, having first person, even if for other reasons would make it really easy to patch in VR support later.

10. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, first person view will be required for VR support, but just because that stretch goal has been de-prioritized doesn't mean that they should have dropped first person view for Ep1.

I'm really hoping that they can get this support in for Episode 1. I don't mind third person view when using the overhead / fast-travel map. But when I'm in a scene / instance, I would like to play in first person view exclusively.

Everyone that wants it as an option, bump this thread and say so!

11. Muska Killz

Muska Killz Avatar

The possibility to choose between different views could be extremely cool, for those ppl who want to feel sometimes SotA with VR :)

BillRoy likes this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Simply YES! I too was a fan of Elder Scrolls, and that kind of game mechanic is fairoy easy from what ive seen or heard from tech saavy people (im definately not one of those) we could at least get an option to do that.

13. smack

smack Avatar

It's been said that ESO did not have first person view but due to overwhelming fan feedback, they added it.

Come on everyone! Let your voice be heard and let's see how Portalarium responds. :)

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I played U9 pretty well exculsively in 1st person. It just felt right for me. Sure you could zoom out and look around as necessary, that was cool. But first person was what I found most intuitive.
    Similarly in Skyrim I run in first person mode. Although again you can easily zoom out and view your character in 3rd person.
    I would like to retain both.
    As a side comment: I just started playing UO (never tried an online game before, thought I'd better get my brain around the idea). My first impression: wow, ancient graphics! Feel like I've been timewarped back to the 90's! Second impression: This is actually interesting! Third impression - it's actually quite addictive.....
    I'm sure I will adapt to whatever is dished up!

(Scratches head and mutters "U9 was first person, wasn't it? I am getting on, after all...")

15. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I played through Skyrim only once, it didn't hold my attention even half as well as Oblivion did. Anyway, I played through Skyrim in 3rd person. I don't know what it is about first person, but I've never enjoyed it.

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Welcome to the UO Brotherhood! I totally know what you mean! I keep coming back to it for more, theres alot of people that will help you out in Chesapeak, just ask! Felluca side is pretty boring there are still some pk guilds but hardly any ever plays there anymore, youll find even thos pkrs on non pvp toons in your towns in tram, they spend alot of time there cause theyre bored in Fel.

Asclepius likes this.
  17. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Totally respect your opinion, and your right to hold it. Diversity is what makes us interesting - and makes the job of game developers difficult!!

Just by way of explanation, I like to feel immersed in the game. The character IS me, the character's eyes ARE my eyes. In the real world (hey, there is such a thing, right?) I don't walk around slightly behind and to the right of and above myself, watching myself do stuff. So it is in a game - that's why I like first person.

It's obviously a personal thing, which some will agree with and some not. Let's hope we get something we are all happy with.

smack likes this.
  18. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

If this game were "twitch" then 1st person would be a no brainer. With it being essentially tab target, it isn't as important to me.

19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I like being able to switch to first person in a game. It is a lot more immersive for me. If I'm seated at a table and talking to someone it definitely makes it feel a lot more interactive to me if every character's head is looking at the person they're talking with (or not if they're just zoning out.)

20. Sperg

Sperg Avatar

I like it the way it is, it gives you a throw back to the old days, and then gives you the new perspective for the future. Kind of like the best of both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.