Does anybody want a first-person view?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by tekkamansoul, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Pripps

Papa Pripps Avatar

It would be pretty sweet to have both first- and third person view as options. I often tend to switch between the two if they're both available.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'd like to expound upon this because I think this is a great point, and I feel exactly the same way. I have no problem with a first person view OPTION, but not as the default or only view. I also encourage others to try the third person view even if there is a first person option.

From my experience with true role playing games, I personally get most of my enjoyment of these games using my imagination first and foremost. Whereas Street Fighter the whole experience is on the video display. Your moves must be timed accurately, and there is a strict cause and effect between you and the controller. Then there's the first person shooter games. Those games are all about the game. In other words what you experience is what you get period. What happens on the screen or in the visible world is exactly what is going on, but that's not always true with an RPG.

When I've played Ultima games in the past most of my enjoyment was in the story. Back in the old days the graphics weren't that great, but they were cool for the time. Still it caused my imagination to fill in the gaps. I think that's what is best about a true RPG like D&D (where there are no visuals at all just pure story). It leaves room for your imagination. I really think having a third person perspective leaves room for the imagination and can actually draw you into the feel and experience of the game rather than the opposite. RPGs ought to be more forgiving with timed tactics and moves, but also the third person perspective allows me to sit back and get a feel for the whole situation. It also lets me sit back and formulate tactics, and decide where to search for secret doors. The character may be you, but not everything in the story needs to be on the screen. So taking a step back may actually allow your imagination to take a step forward. When you find that imaginary place, then you are in a better first person mode. I hope that makes sense.

Oakwind likes this.
  3. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

I tend to get a little claustrophobic with both first person and bird's eye view. I think I've just gotten used to the situational awareness of looking over the shoulder and being able to zoom in and out.

4. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

3rd person like most of the Ultima games will be the same we hope for.

5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

If first person view was an option, I wouldn't have any problems with that. I wouldn't want it as the default view though. In Star Wars Galaxies you could zoom out a ways and zoom in all the way to first person.

6. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

It is true that everything has to, or at least should be, approached from the PvP aspect. PvE can always be tweaked to work, but PvP is the limiting and most important aspect.

Mordecai and Isaiah MGT470 like this.
  7. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

It has been confirmed that 3rd person view will be the default, but you can zoom into a first person view.

The problem with Planetside sounds like a bug with their camera handling rather than an issue with 1st person view. Everquest had something similar, where you could shrink, move up to a wall, then unshrink and see through the wall.

For the longest time the camera would check elevation and apply a fog when underwater. But the elevation check was made at the center of the view, so one could swim at just the right elevation and see clearly underwater. I think they finally applied a volumetric fog to water.

8. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I hope it stays third person only.

BillRoy likes this.
  9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Interesting perspective. Would you explain why?

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

People like what they like. It may just be a matter of taste, you know.

BillRoy likes this.
  11. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I prefer either first person or 3rd person over the shoulder. Camera follows character. No WoW-like scroll out to infinity.

12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Although I'd rarely, if ever, use a 1st person view while I'm playing, I wouldn't mind that as an option.. unless it takes away from dev time and funding. In which case - forget it. It's not worth it.

13. Neurocrash

Neurocrash Avatar

The ability to zoom into first person is to be worked on, and is expected to be included in the final game if no problems arise.

14. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Didn't they say we'll be able to switch to first person view? I think it would be useful but I'm definitely a fan of third person view as my main perspective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

15. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

It's a good thing it won't be strictly 1st person, while that's fine for single player games like ElderScrolls and such it would not be a good thing for you in an MMO, or MMO-like game (though SoTA will have a single player mode, so there you could play it like Oblivion or however you want). 3rd person or Top-Down, is really better for an MMO type game, Thats why all of them do it that way.
    1st person will not turn out to be that popular in ESO, that option was added in after a huge amount of complaints from ES fans (most of which had little or no experience with MMOs).

1st person might be cool to admire the items in your house with and count every petal on a flower, but if you used it in PvE, dungeons or melee/PvP with others who used 3rd person, you might not get asked to accompany your friends on thier next outing, as having no peripheral vision and an extreamly limited awarness of your surroundings will have a negative impact on any group you are with. On the other hand PKers and node stealers will appreciate that you are running around with blinders on.

*Do what ever you want and have fun, this is just some info for those who might not have spent much time in MMOs.

16. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I am sure I will go back and forth from 1st person to isometric, bu I will mostly keep it as the UO view since that's what I'm wanting to get out of this game is that same feel from UO. But I'll be curious for 1st person once in a while

17. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Avatar

Planning on picking up an oculus and will probably stay in 1st person because of that. Ill miss the huge advantage third person offers though, maybe they will put in a mirrior at some point so can watch my back :)

18. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

I like having the option. I like aspects of third person, but also would like to try the oculus rift in these worlds.

19. Jossy

Jossy Avatar

I don't think I would ever use first person in SotA

It's not a bug, it's just how the 3rd person camera's FOV works, you can walk up to the corner of a building and face the wall for the camera to see around it, whereas the person on the other corner cannot see you because he is in 1st person view. It's a common problem in a lot of games, not just Planetside.

And this is why I wouldn't mind if 1st person was only available in certain situations.

BillRoy and Mordecai like this.
  20. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

This is a key strategy in competetive 3rd person; Jossy is right. Once we all have 3rd person, using 1st would be a disadvantage, because 3rd person will grant players x-ray vision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.