Does anybody want a first-person view?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by tekkamansoul, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

For fans of the old school first person dungeon crawling and the fans of Elder Scrolls games?

2. Neurocrash

Neurocrash Avatar

Yes!!! I find that first person is the most immersive, and that third person has the effect of putting the character in the way of what I most need to see as well as making it impossible to have a close look at anything (due to always being further away). The ability to zoom in and out from top view all the way to first person would allow for everyone to choose what they prefer.

Lord Albert, Cabrens, Ome and 3 others like this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

First person will be useful, but I will not use it full time. It will be great for scenery/event screenshots, and exploring vistas. But I feel it much more immerse from an RP perspective to see my character and watch it emote. Might sound kind of backwards, but it help externalize me from the character I am playing and stay in its head.

And I say "it" because I have played creatures before too. ;)

Jynx, mhoward48, Lord Albert and 2 others like this.
  4. Neurocrash

Neurocrash Avatar

I learned that a first person camera view/zoom level is expected to be available. :)

Terminator and Swanny like this.
  5. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

If the VR treatment comes i'm sure this would be mandatory. An optional 2d isometric view would be awesome.

6. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

The one thing I dislike about 1st person view is that it can be abused mechanically. In Planetside people would stand by the corner of a structure and they could see you but you (by twisting the camera view) and you couldn't see them. It was a horrible disadvantage in PVP combat, and it really was one of the biggest things to "ruin the game". The dev team at Sony never fixed it to my knowledge.

This is the type of thing that really burns me up. Obvious bad decisions that impact PVP, and then are slow to be fixed when the problem is clearly identified. In my opinion, this would be an example of the kind of thing where your entire dev team would stop what they were doing and work night and day to fix a flaw this big because it impacts competition and thus the credibility of your commitment to a balanced game. I have yet to see a dev team in action that understands this concept. Most games will never fix problems like these and instead introduce new boots with shiny stars on them, available now in the player store!

To summarize, 1st person is fine if it's balanced for pvp.

volto likes this.
  7. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

PvP doesn't have to inject itself into every aspect of gameplay ^^

I just missed playing games like Everquest 1, or Meridian 59 or yes, even Morrowind with proper first person animations. Every other MMO out there (including ESO) doesn't even bother anymore. It's kinda sad.

Asguard and Montaigne like this.
  8. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I do not like first person games. I like the old ultima birds eye viewing. It would be nice if you could have both but I do perfer birds eye viewing Like Never winter nights or Ultima Online or Ultima 9 or guild wars 1& 2. ect....................

StaticGrazer, Maxe, Mishri and 7 others like this.
  9. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

I'd rather go the other direction -- I'd prefer a wider and deeper depth of field than we've seen so far. There's hardly room on-screen for a party to adventure together. Still, if you're going for Oculus Rift support, I see how the first person view makes sense for some players.

Maxe and hoylegu like this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

Devs have stated that they'd have to design visual attributes differently for a first person view than they are planning for the 3rd person view. Textures and levels of detail that work for 3rd person would be inadequate for 1st person.

BillRoy, Freeman and Salix like this.
  11. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I would love it. I wouldn't use it exclusively, but at least half the time.

12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Sure. I would like first person view option for dungeons like UU, U3 4.

13. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I would like 3rd person 3/4 top down as main view, but if it doesn't cost them anything to add 1st person or "over the shoulder" 3rd person view, I say go for it. Now I understand that they are aiming for 1st person to be the main view , so I guess I am out of luck. Correct me if I am wrong, I have been wrong before ^_^.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

From where did you hear that?

15. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I remembered incorrectly. its 3rd person over the shoulder that I have seen in the videos as of yet, but I'd rather have the isometric 3/4 that was used in Ultima VIII and the Infinity Engine games. 1st person would be neat too, but not as neat as that.

docdoom77 likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

yes to first person view!

EDIT: I'm reading back through this thread, and wondering what the hell I was thinking here. I must have thought Yes to first person, but only to get a clear view of a building or something... I sure as heck will not be using a first person view permanently. I like the third person view, and I will use that 3rd person view almost all the time.

17. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Wouldn't you be able to use a 3rd person camera to do the same thing, or am I misinterpreting your post?

I'd use 1st person view exclusively if it were available, assuming 3rd person wasn't significantly more useful. I can comfortably live without it though.

18. stile

stile Avatar

Im highly fond of top down 3d, but love it more when you have the ability to zoom down to first person, then back out to top down.

Schmidbauer, Siriustar and Oakwind like this.
  19. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

If we only got the view that we saw on the demo I wouldn't complain.

docdoom77 likes this.
  20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to scroll the camera around as was shown in the demo, as well as zoom all the way in to 1st person. Although I haven't seen Portalarium zoom in to 1st person, I did see zoom out to quite a distance.

Lord Albert and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.