Crafting and Inventory beefs

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by bombs19, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Taking a pack horse into a combat zone would not be a good idea. You always have to consider the threat. If you are a mere miner with negligable combat skills, perhaps YOU should reconsider, yourself.

RelExpo likes this.
  2. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Crafting is still very early in the process, as is most of the game so you should let your friend know he needs a bit of patience before jumping to conclusions. That said, I don't really know of any game where you are actually a craftsman, and not just a button clicker. I'm afraid button clicking is just how "it is". You could go the route of Cooking Mama/Diner Dash/etc which would mean crafting is a "mini-game" which a lot of people are against. (Not me... I want it as an optional mobile gaming addition)

I might be in the minority but inventory management is fun and a direct part of playing almost any RPG. Weight, stamina, strength, "slots available"... ALL of these should be part gameplay. Not hyper realistic, but you should have to think and plan.

Someone said above "Kill epic mob - ooops.. gotta get rid of some loot before I can pick up loot. Talk about a buzz kill. " As the adventurer, you should have known to not be encumbered before fighting that epic monster.

Pack horses.

Mordecai and Owain like this.
  3. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

There have been a few games (Second Life, A Tale in the Desert), that required player skill instead of button pressing, but you are largely correct. I see this as a giant missed opportunity. Players want to exercise and demonstrate their skill. I think this is one of the reasons that PvP is so popular -because it is not just button presses; it requires a player's skill to be effective. In every game that allows customization some people will be better than others and tend to make a name for themselves.

Taking UO as an example, there were people who excelled at house decorating and sold those services, tailors with a superior design and color sense sold ensembles, real estate and rares brokers discovered new ways of marketing. Even though crafting, per se, did not require player skill, people found ways to express skill. Any place that a player can develop a skill they will.

Developing crafts that require player skill is not an easy task. As well, it may raise the ire of people that want to experience everything or want to make quality goods with nothing more than an investment of time. Still, I think that not including player skill in crafting is missing a vast opportunity.

Mordecai and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I have to agree and dis-agree with the OPer on this because the OPer gave no alternative ideas. the click/drag/put into pack has been around forever, yes.

I do feel that wieght should be a factor, and size should be handled similer to UO by turning the large item into a deed for transport, should that deed wiegh a full "stone" of wieght, I don't think so. Should a ring wiegh a full stone, no. Should "ore" wiegh alot, Yes.

UO lacked "ore" carts, or wagons, they only had Pack animals, should it be more realistic, yes. I would like to have to go out and buy/craft a wagon or all it's parts, buy a horse and travel to the Gold/Silver/Copper fields to mine. I think Owen asked the question of "would you take your wagon into hostile territory just to mine?", well, I think Owen is still playing UO and not playing SotA, for sure.

Sinse I don't PvP this game will only group me with like minded players, so the only threat to me in the wilderness would be animals/monsters/NPCs and they will probably leave my wagon alone(not like a player, who would burn it or take it), they may kill my horse or cause him to run off, with my wagon attached to him, but I should be able to search for him and the wagon. Should players be able to "leepfrog" the ore to a forge, No. If I need a wagon to transport it, you should too.

Same for Logs, although a different kind of apperatus would be needed, realistic of course. In that way haresting trees would be controlled, no single player could "clear cut" the entire forest and be greedy. Or mine every ore location. There should be enough material gathered to last a while for any craft.

I would hate to see Mr RG ruin SotA by limiting skills for a single chr slot to 700 points. I would prefer to see combat skills seperated from craft skills, posibly combat is skill based and crafting is level based. I don't care what you call it, skills of 1-100 or levels 1-100, I don't want to "Lose" anything that I'm sure will take a lot of game playing hours to achieve. I don't want to chose between a combat chr or a craft chr, just give me more slots.

Which I guess is "retro" too, but it works.

5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

UO had a good system were Characters could carry a certain weight and no more. item number was no limit in backpack. So when going mining you could only have a certain weight before heading back to unload. But you could have packhorses that you took with you to carry more but these could be attacked and killed by Mobs in combat. So most chars went for a little magic training and you could open a runegate that you had created at any spot on the map to travel through your house or nearest Bank. Thats why the Game was so Popular if anyone wants mindless and easy go for Most of the Current type of Mmorpg the worlds full of those games

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I don't need as much realism as is described here.
    It's a game.
    Also, carrying large items has been discussed in a video.
    Under your paper doll, there are 5 or 6 slots. You can have a bag in the slot, and small items in the bag, but large items will have a slot to themselves.
    For development, they basically had limitless bags, so they could carry 99 chairs, but in the finished version, perhaps you could only carry 3 chairs.
    It's fine that way.

7. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Actually I was hoping that the Monsters/NPCs do such things, so PVE can be challenging as well. I am against No-PvP Flag=No Risk at all Flag.

On the topic I am with Sir Frank here. It seems fine and I don't need to see someone carry a Guillotine around ^^

8. jakaro

jakaro Avatar

I'm still early in the thread so I dont know if nbayone suggested this, but what about creating a variety of containers all with different weight/volume values that they can hold?

For example, we have the standard 'backpack', which is just an abstraction of what our character is carrying. Maybe you can fit a single table/chair/dresser/chest in it (think of it as carrying it on your back).

If you want to move more than one of these items, then you need a larger container - like a cart you drag behind you or a wheelbarrow. It can hold more items as a virtue of being wheeled and requires less work for the same weight as carrying it on your person.

However, the Queen of Pride has ordered a whopping 10 guillotines! the only way you are going to move that much mass is with a horse-drawn wagon. Incidentally, you could probably also use it as an exploration vehicle when looking for mass amounts of resources.

You can go even further and designate that some containers like barrels and buckets can hold liquid, but others cannot - we had this in UO, I believe, and it certianly exists in games like Wurm Online.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like the backpack, and the extra slots for more storage and/or large items. I personally have no problem with thier system.

One thing I would like to see is people sheathing thier swords when not in combat. I think that would help alert us if somebody is potentially hostile or not. If somebody has a weapon in their hand that should indicate they are ready for combat. It doesn't make sense to carry our weapon in hand when we are at the store buying groceries, or trying to have lunch with our friends. So walking around town should be done with our weapons stowed away.

10. Athyrio

Athyrio Avatar

Man I have read this thread and really yearn for the days of DAOC. I mean encumberance was a factor, quality of tools and the quality of the item. Random number generators and the amount of enchantments were based on the quality of the item were all factors. Yes it could have some updates and refinements, but most of what I have read, reminds me so much of DAOC. I had to choose coming from the ORCs if I wanted to carry more metals, wood, cloths, had packs on the horses and how to maximize but to remain under the weight without buffs, which still had weights... One day there was no cleric aound and I was not willing to discard stuff, so it took me nearly 3 hours to nearly crawl back to town to sell off. Teach me to take a day off work and not have someone around with buffs!!!

11. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

So many good ideas in this thread.

Isaiah likes this.
  12. vjek

vjek Avatar

Finally got this one transcribed..

From here.

GD: Kind of a related question, from vjek: " Will there be any kinds of bag that reduce weight, or hold larger amounts of inventory like 'A Bag of Holding' or bags that make items weightless? "

RG: Chris?

CS: Let's see if B remembered to turn off his microphone. No, he did not. <chuckle> So yeah, that's one of the things, there will be bags that reduce weight and allow you to carry more, and have more slots, and appear small and actually are very large on the inside. Those are all type things that will be in there, kind of the normal stuff you'd expect from a fantasy role playing game.
    As for weightless, don't know on that, but there is also the idea.. concept, I think we haven't mentioned it yet, the size of the bag.. that some items will not fit in some bags. So there will some bags that are very well tuned for.. like, they're small bags, but they hold a lot of something, so it could be like, it holds a lot of potions even though it can't hold something much bigger that that. It can hold a LOT of potions, and a lot of, like, little elements. But, yes, there will be <air quotes> "Bags of Holding", and weight reduction type bags, and better bags that are made, that will probably involve some magic components to craft.

SJ: I need a bag of weight reduction, myself, so, you know.

RG: <laughter> Don't we all?

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

This is an excellent point. I generally play a mage so my str is at starter numbers...So if str is your weight capacity it's an unfair disadvantage...

Now I have no problem with weight/size limits being the factor in how much we can carry, but I think there needs to just be an even way to make it increase...perhaps by level or by your dominate stat...

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well I'm just going by what I've been hearing..It sounds like each level we get X amount of points to add to str, dex or int...

Perhaps I am misinformed...

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good mages in UO had 100 strength. They would max strength out because Strength = Hitpoints. I think something similar will take place in SotA. Our strength will determine how much health we have. So if you're a mage you might want to put some points into strength.

However a good thing to do is ballance you character out. Get some adventuring skills, and some crafting skills. Each level you gain adventuring also gives you attribute points, and so does gaining levels with crafting. So if a person only adventures, or only crafts they will miss out on the attribute gains by leveling up in both.

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Haha...I'm new too...:)

Wow I think I must have forgotten that aspect of UO...Oh no problem crafting is what I'll be working more than adventuring....but definately both will be worked...along with anything else there is. My only fear is not being able to learn everything as that's what I like to do hehe.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Since you both are new @derek665 & @Atlaua don't forget to pledge. You might want to get at least immortal adventurer level to have the immortality fruit seed.

However if you want a special in game emote use this referal code: 1434

That will give you a special emote in the game and will also give me the same emote and a small bonus.

18. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Don't worry I'm pledged to Knight...:)

Isaiah likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.