15% Account Credit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lheiah, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This is completely different than the stock market. Sure, you can buy SotA items with speculation that their value will go up, and some do, but it's not the goal of the add-ons. The stock market, however, revolves around the idea of buying and selling. The prices are set based on volume of trading and information about the company and their products/services. Stock prices aren't set at a value because that's what the company wants to set, it's set based on demand of the stock traders.

On the other hand, the add-on store item and pledge tier prices are set by Portalarium. They are exactly what they want to be at, whether they are analyzing data or throwing darts at a board. They have every right to set them at whatever price they want. Howver, one of Portalarium's mantras was to give those who have been around the longest the best value. Offering 15% more for your money, and most likely a bump in your plot selection queue doesn't treat those early backers well. Those are people who pledged when things were more vague; when there might have been doubt as to what the game would be.

I think the Amazon preorder comparison is the most apt. You get the lowest price between order date and shipping date as a reward for 'committing' to them early. What we got for committing early to SotA, and arguably making this game possible without a publisher, is a push further back in the lot queue line for our pledge tier, and having to spend more to bump up to the next tier. I know some people are bumping up as they get expendable cash, and if they don't have their cash now (or did their pledge bump recently), then they lose out. As for the add-on items, we haven't been able to blow the turkey call or pull a boot out of the river yet, so lowering the price on the items essentially is a big raspberry in the face of those who are most loyal.

2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It is kind of crappy. To those that say "it improves the potential of the game by encouraging people to pledge now" I say that we wouldn't even be at this point if it hadn't been for those of us that were there in the beginning. If they hadn't made the initial funding goal, they wouldn't have gotten that initial lump sum from Amazon and would have to hope for donations as they come in like they do now.

I don't feel very good about my pledge right now and I have to say that this campaign has not encouraged me to give more. I am tempted to see if anyone would like to buy my pledge but as they would be getting less than they probably could if they just give the money to Portalarium, I doubt I'd find any takers. I am not completely convinced that this game will be worth all that I've spent on it and if they are going to keep devaluing my initial investment, I may as well get out while the getting might be good.

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Founders still have lot prioritization over any new pledgers. The 15% is a nice perk to have the chance to boost their pledge up as a founder.

No way a benefactor will place over a founder by this 15% bonus as founders place first.

I trust Portalarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NirAntae likes this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You don't think that if this game does well that we could possibly resell our rent-free lot for more than we bought it for? You don't think that some of these items they are selling might become rare items because they might stop selling them and sell something else. Then they would be worth more of ingame gold because the item is now rare, and no longer being generated.

However if the game doesn't do well we all will feel it. So we might not be stockholders but we are stakeholders.

5. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I didn't buy my pledge to flip it, but as I said before, some people might have. Doesn't mean you can adequately compare it to the stock market, where every purchase is meant to be flipped for a profit.

6. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

You do only have to compete with people in the same class as you, either Founder or Benefactor, but within those classes the people that pledged before the sale are getting less than those the pledged during and can't catch up again since right now you can only pledge to the exact tier levels.

You want the absolutely most valid comparison? It's got to be Star Citizen as it's the most successful crowd funded game project yet. They've never done any deals where someone who pledged later got more rewards than those the pledged early. They don't let you take your pledge cash out, but they let you reallocate it to different rewards if you want. You may not be able to get rewards back that you give up but if they have something newer or better that you'd like then you can trade in for it. They NEVER make you wish you'd waited for a sale since you can always get at least as good of a deal as everyone else.

I was tempted to go up to the Knight level since the Edelmann house is kind of meh, but at this point I'm thinking why bother, they'll have them on sale for even less later and I'll have gotten to check them out in game by then too. I clearly don't want to go above Knight since then I'd have to buy a new basement and throw away my current one if I want it to fit the lot size. I think I'll still like the game, I even think the combat system has promise, but my willingness to pledge more has fallen with how they've done this sale.

NirAntae likes this.
  7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

As a high pledging benefactor, I am a bit scared of the whole house placement thing...and I feel that my pledge is just as valuable as a founder...Flame me if you may, but really this game needs us all.

8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Not going to flame you but I think it would be horrid for them to go back on their word... Investment should have return... the longer the investment the higher the return should be.

Dallas had already said founders who pledged prior to April 2013 would have a priority and to take that away would be essentially lieing to all the people who got this thing going... if I might point out those people make up 69.08% of investment as of 2202 Eastern... when I posted this. You would not only be lieing to the larger number of backers... you would also be lieing to your initial backers... and in essense you would be my first target in OPO... Yes, dallas, I would try to pk you...

That being said, I'm a benefactor and this would mean I get a worse off lot placement... I just think it is the right thing to do as it was already said.

NirAntae likes this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well maybe i'm just putting out my very held in opinion because it just feels like to me, as a benefactor, that I'm kind of a 2nd class citizen in the eyes of the founders...which really shouldn't bother me...but I keep seeing all of these things that I lost out on because I was a dunce who didn't hear about this game until November even tho I've always been a HUGE Ultima fan.

I do not expect 1st class special treatment, but I still think things should be considered for those of us who put ourselves into a bit of hawk for the love of this game and the opportunity to get our house placed in an at least decent spot. I know this topic has been drilled to death...but just wanted to make a small voice for the benefactors out there who love this game as much as the founders. I want this game to suceed as much as anyone...and yes here I am supporting it to everyone I know...and even here on the forums.

Thanks everyone.

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

This has started to bother me as well... I actually paid more for less and many act as if I'm less due to coming in later... I agree 100% that we shouldn't be treated as less but I do not think the rewards should be modified to lessen the value of early backers. I fully expect to recruit about 30 people to this game... I think there should be an emphasis on recruiting rewards even after launch.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Fully agree. I have recruited a couple of people, and working on some more. But I do think that everyone is important to the success of this game.

violation likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Everyone is important, founders and benefactors. There are certain things that were promised to founders that has to be made right.

I know what you mean on missing things: I missed out on the star citizen and sota tie in, the space bards and sota tie in, and the sojourner tales and sota tie in. They all has exclusive sota content that I won't have. I don't blame anyone, but accept responsibility that I was a day late and a dollar short.

I took advantage of the 15% to get me to the next level. Without the 15% extra my upgrade pledge would not of happened. This was good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Oh I hear ya there...I'm perfectly happy not to have gotten 15% off on anything...I have bought 2 lots at 150 and most of the tools haha...but still happy I can get them...I had to gift 1 lot to my buddy who just heard about this game when we told him...all of us are huge fans. We met on this game back in 1999...

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Ok. Comparison from the tourist business.

Prices in regards to flights, hotel stays always change.

It can happen that even on the same day people book the same flight and are paying total different prices.

Both have to still wait to enjoy the service.

I checked in during my hotel time daily people for the same room who booked at different times to different overs. Normal stuff for all of us.

This hole argument that it is unfair because you have not gotten the product is in my opinion not valid.
    You made a agreement on the day you did your crowdfunding! That did not include refunds if they reduce the price.

Deal is deal.

More examples: Tickets for a sports game, for a theater show
    Groupon!

All services that have constant special overs before you eat it.

You all are aware i hope that they can totally fail and you still lost your money.

That is the risk of crowd-funding.

15. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

At least it would make sense, if these 15% applied from upgrading the pledge could also be used for purchasing stuff in the addon store.
    Greetings
    Olahorand

16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Your comparison falls flat because you're talking about a limited commodity with regards to tickets or hotel rooms. As we have seen with the Baron tier, most of them could be considered unlimited.

Myrcello likes this.
  17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Good argument. Have not thought of that.

:)

18. Harry Underworld

Harry Underworld Avatar

I was wondering if everyone is taking into account that as a founder you already have discounted tier level upgrades , ie citizen would cost me $500 instead of $550 and then plus the 15% would move me to up to edelmann tier which is $550
    for founders. But alas i dont have that much to spare so opted for upgrading my collectors account to developer and then when the 15% gets added i will work on the difference to hit citizen.
    As a side note i would tell friends just starting and buy the developer tier wait for the 15% and then spend $30 to hit citizen.

tphilipp and Lord Gréagóir like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

I think the issue is that it affected everyone, especially Benefactors, that already or recently pledged. Not an ideal situation and likely not the response they expected.

20. mewzard

mewzard Avatar

Well, I certainly appreciated the 15%, as that was the push I needed to finally join you guys as paying members of the community. I was broke during the Kickstarter (yes, broke enough to not have enough money for any Tier...it was a rough month), and other things came up throughout the year. But with this deal, I was able to convince my Dad to spot me the money needed for the game, and I even upped it by going for slow installments on my end so I could get all those cool physical goodies come release (I'm a sucker for owning physical media, books, maps, etc).

For Founders, it shouldn't be too much of an issue because you guys got discounts at all tier levels (especially the guys who paid $25 for the game when it's $45 at minimum now), and stuff that anyone who tried to back it afterwards can't get. Looking at the pledge levels on Kickstarter and on this website...there's a few differences on some of the tier levels. Not the least of which is the novel being free digitally for most tiers (and I hear physically for a few).

Those who bought in afterwards is a little rougher though. If they do give you the deals retroactively, congrats. I'm just glad for the deal at all because now I can enjoy the ride (and try out the game bits early). Though, in hindsight, Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals should surprise few, hey, it happens. My first time ever taking advantage of the time's sales knowingly.

Deliverence, smack and NirAntae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.