#SaveOurMines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

This is awesome :) Thank you @DarkStarr for listening to the feedback. I know we complain a lot, but it's because of our love of the game :)

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Just to set expectations properly the amount added is "more" but may not be as much as you all want. So feel free to continue to protest. :)

3. mass

mass Avatar

Will we see demand reducing features for ore in the near future, like skill based increases in smelting efficiency, salvaging efficiency, etc. ?

zyxe, fonsvitae, Solazur and 5 others like this.
  4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah meticulous refining, gold and silver with metal scraps.

5. mass

mass Avatar

Are those on quarterly plan somewhere? I didn't notice them. Just curious when all that's supposed to happen.

6. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

At one point a Dev said that the refining skills weren't in the game yet, so there's a lot of speculation, but no actual details or timetable.

7. Zader

Zader Avatar

Thank you!

8. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

What about:
    a) double-ore yielding nodes in The Fall
    b) ore is "cursed" (always drops to be looted) in The Fall

Then, there is an un-bottable way to mine in a way that is productive for group-play. And as a bonus, there is now a point to pvp sometimes, and especially a point to showing up with a large group, even if you're not primarily interested in pvp.

EDIT: it worked for fel..

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Or perhaps we get ore-sickness from mining. Then one knows to move onto doing something else for awhile to feel better ;). It could turn the skin a bit pasty or yellowed like jaundice and give a bit of a debuff. Better than restricting the ore and far more interesting than an empty mine ;) It could say you're too sick to mine right now. I know I know but at least interesting ;)

@DarkStarr

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

when I get ore-sickness... I play CS:GO or SMITE... then go back to mining... LOL

Solazur, Pikegirl and MrBlight like this.
  11. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

i really like this idea. constrain the binge behavior, don't just make the binge more painful and rely upon human pain-aversion to protect the economy.

maybe even allow you to continue mining while sick for -100 xp per node. boom, crafting decay :D

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  12. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Can people please stop making suggestions for how to force others to play the way they 'should' play? How about combat sickness where after you kill 20 enemies you can't gain adventurer experience for an hour? It would encourage people to go mine! Or PvP sickness where after you kill another PC your account is deleted because I'm really, really tired of people trying to bait me into PvP.

Scanphor, Elwyn, Malimn and 4 others like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ummm I am not the one who is limiting mining for us. They told us they are going to give us less ore no matter how much we complain. Since this is happening at least add some humor or interest to it. I don't believe we need to be restricted. I don't care about the economy. I do care about that the game has interest to it and reasons for doing things and not doing things.

Vaiden Luro, Lord Baldrith and ship2 like this.
  14. ship2

ship2 Avatar

really think there's an effort to fix something that ain't broken here. If someone wants to mine 8 hours a day and they love it, by golly make them some mines ("mine all the silver you want! We'll make more!!) If the market gets flooded with gold and silver, the price drops... people mine less. The *perceived* problem will fix itself.

What worries me is what seems to be an observation of players spending a lot of time doing a thing (mining.. control points... relic farming.. crafting production) and action taken to stop or reduce that activity. Keep it up and you'll eliminate everything people enjoy doing in this game. I understand the temptation to manipulate the economy.. my suggestion is to take that person who is tempted and put them to work grinding out these unpolished quests. When they've learned their lesson, let them out of the closet and into the meetings again.

Look at what people are doing in game. Figure out how to let them do MORE of it, not less. Look at WHO is playing this game, figure out how to get the word out to the rest of that market and let them know "hey look at all the fun stuff your people are doing here!". You're not going to steal the market from ESO, or diablo, LoL, or guildwars but you do have a niche game and what I see as a potential monopoly on the fastest growing market sector on planet earth and I really think you're not seeing it, or dismissing it... and it's a market with money to spend.. that doesn't give a crap about what is said on reddit. Look at who is playing, figure out what they love to do. Develop toward that (not against it) and market it.

Scanphor, Aldo, zyxe and 14 others like this.
  15. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Definitely this. PVP zones really need a big reward for the added risk.

fonsvitae and Grumpy like this.
  16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

The way that Wurm Online handles the mobs vs.. mines game is thru deeding of mines. In that game it works because the entire underworld of the map is a mineable heightmap, so prospecting to stake your claim is a big part of the game. Mine nodes are persistent and part of the living biome, they respawn but on geological time scales. Once you have deeded a place your guards will patrol your mines for you.

That way miners just need to deed their producing mine, at the risk it will stop producing and they have to move on and become adventurers to battle the mobs to prospect a new mine. Or if you just are looking for an adventurer go in search of abandoned mines that might be producing again.

My deed in Wurm Onlnie was on a cliff and I risked falling everytime to get into it. I planted some trees above it to break my fall once they grew in. It was a high quality gold mine untouched since server start, because it was too difficult to get to. The cliff was solid rock so going in thru the base (mine nodes are infinite vertical) was much too difficult. I started a switchback mine system to get to it from my main deed above the entrance, but that was a lot of work and never finished. Mostly because I got tired of paying the guards and alts to keep it productive.

The same idea can be done by adding mine doors to basements. Once your deeded mine peters out, you need to move. This should be good for Portalarium because there is money to be made in protecting mine deeds. Land rushes are nothing compared to gold rushes!

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  17. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

It would be nice to have prior to launch if possible. It would go a long way towards helping reduce demand for resources for learning skills.

Vaiden Luro and Solazur like this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I just want to see some serious balancing being done.

When purchasing ore from other players, I can't make any profit, so I must mine additional ore to bring my overhead down. The price has since come down to 50 g per ore which make it possible for me to buy and place service contracts on my vendor, which others do supply me with.... But ore like Tin is still out of my budget, even when I offer 90g per ore (public vendors want 200 g)...

Considering, it takes 4 iron ore (1 coal) to make just 1 ingot, and then, 2 ingots with 1 nickel & 1 tungsten (2 coal & I can acquire for 75 g per) to make a single Meteoric iron ingot, that's 598 g cost (with no fails in smelting). I then prefer to create wires, which take 2 ingots (and 1 coal) to create. Bringing this total to a Cost of 1202 g per wire.

Then considering, it takes a smith 8 wire (9616 g), not including the other parts of 3 metal bindings (of course you get 2 bindings per ingot), 3 straps (3 straps per leather, but beatle carpes is going for 400 g each) and 3 more coal to create an Augmented chain tunic... That brings the cost to create a chain tunic far above most players budgets...

Not only are the mines too tuff for my level 48 chr, there's no mine or scenes in between 2 skull & 4 skull scenes that have ore to mine... or are even survivable in just to gain skill... I can find very few scenes where a SPO player can survive AND get skill points to pool, so I end up grinding the same old scene over and over because there's nowhere else to go...

I would like to see a progression based on skill, there should be 3 skull mines, not just 5 skull... I had hoped Graff mine would be 3 skull, but only the exterior area is 3 skull, the mine has NO iron at all AND hardened skeletons AND those mechanical beasts AND when I do mine ore there, I get the same amount as if I were still in Owls Nest...

Some scenes should be dedicated to SPO and groups should NOT be allowed, not just one or two scenes but 1/3 of all scenes AND they should progress... IMO, you've dedicated too much time to Group players, it's forcing out the SPO players all together...

The Key things are:
    Critters:
    -spawn rate, in 1 skull they don't respawn, but in 2 skull they do...
    -spawn timers, should be long in low skull areas, but shorten as the same player fights over & over or leaves the scene... Shouldn't be allowed to reenter quickly, must stay out for a time...
    -agro, 1 critter at a time, as skills go up 2 critters at a time, as scenes go up, so do critter toughness...
    -I agree, having a high level critter area in scenes is a good idea, but within some kind of reasonability... But, there should be easy areas too, where you're not ganked, but have 1v1 fights...

Resources:
    -spawn rate, short the 1st time harvested, growing longer and longer with each harvest...
    -quantity, should go up with skills and scene...
    -scene should dictate what is inside, rocky scene have more ore, forest scenes more trees, field scenes more cotton & herbs, there should still be variety, just more of the major resource than others...
    -dynamic spawning should be spread out, not close together, too many scenes have the same spawn spots...

Mines should be harder, but the surface should have mining too AND abundance, underground scenes should have progression to, the 1st level is easier than any below, get progressively harder...

Just my 2 cents, I'm tired of selling armor that cost so much to make, even when I mine my own ores too, everyone in the game is poor like me, so... at least all the SPO players are...

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Ok, I preemptively protest for that new rate and demand that the team doubled that rate.

20. ship2

ship2 Avatar

same here. People won't pay the amount of time and loss that goes into the extremely rare success. I get so frustrated and pissed off wasting everything I farmed for the rare +1, then 9 times out of 10 end up with nothing after trying to enchant or master work I can't even craft for weeks. Normally crafting is my favorite part of a game.. not here.

Vaiden Luro, zyxe, SmokerKGB and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.