What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeetocht

Zeetocht Avatar

In RL I'm a sci > sci/fi > space kinda guy so it's no surprise that the first mmo that drew me in was Earth and Beyond. There were other mmo's around before EnB but I'm also a bit reclusive in RL so I really had no interest. The name I wanted in EnB was Voyager after the NASA Voyager project but so did so many others that not only could I not get that name I also couldn't get any variant I liked. So I threw the word "voyager" into an online translator and found the word "zeetocht" which according to that translator was Dutch for "traveller". Many Dutchmen have offered different slants on that name over the years but one told me it meant "sea traveller" and if you look at my sig you'll see why that name is entirely appropriate for me.

Actually I was flight crew for most of my Navy career but I did my fair share of "sea travelling".

:)

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Welkom to teh, ZE, forums Zee !

[​IMG]
    P.S. - Thats not a wink.

3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Mine is quite simple. I was listening to Bob Marley while playing Ultima Online some years back, and needed to decide on a username. Hence "Jamma Playa"

Since then, I've tried to uphold the philosophy of the late, great musician, by being a light in dark places and lighting up the darkness.

I'm Jamma, and I hope you're Jamma too.

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Jamma playa is that like a beach made out of marmalade ? :p

Get up, stand up ! Stand up for your rights !

5. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

In Greek mythology Oeneus was a Calydonian king most famous for his wine making. He started in UO as a secret PvP alternate and the name has stuck with me ever since. At that time I didn’t want my RP friends to know that I enjoyed hanging out in the dungeons and killing untrustworthy scum while gyrating over their freshly killed corpses. Non consensual PvP was a great source of contention in certain circles.

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Bunch of hot peppers, I like'm spicey

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

In ancient days of yore I had a practice of simply naming D&D characters for English, Scottish, or Welsh castles, manors, or abbeys whose name I found interesting, inspired by childhood travel there. And then later for a love of the timeless engravings of these ancient sites. Beaumaris is one that survived to the modern era that I have tended to use most often for knight type characters of some form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumaris_Castle

https://www.fromoldbooks.org/HistoryOfWales/pages/65-beaumaris-entrance/1187x775.html

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Mine is the title character from an actual poem/song of the Anglo-Saxon period in the UK. Think of a Dark Ages version of "I've Been Everywhere" or the Young Man Mulligan filk - he's met Beowulf and all his buds, for instance. I figure an itinerant warrior poet of that sort would investigate a moon gate if it popped up on the moor, and find himself somewhere else entirely.

9. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I'm a hardcore roleplayer, and all my characters have a background story. Helvig's name reflects that background story. You can read the entire story written on RPOTA.com in her twin brother's profile here.

To make things short, Helvig is an old Germanic name, consisting of the word "Hel" who is the nordic deity of death, and the word "vig" which means "devoted, consecrated". She got that name because due to certain circumstances, her mother devoted her to Hel right after her birth.

Her last name is, in nordic tradition, the name of a parent and the appendix "dottir" (=daughter). So her name is Helvig, daughter of Ingvild. Usually it is tradition to use the father's name, but Helvig's mother never reveiled the identity of Helvig's father to her. Helvig's mother's name Ingvild... also that has a story. "Ing" is the name of yet another nordic deity, a fertility god. "Vild" means "will". Ing's will. Helvig's mother was conceived during a ritual when Helvig's grandmother ws already past childbearing age. The father was a priest of Ing. Therefore the name "Ing's will".

Oh and of course besides the fitting background stories, I always loved both names, Helvig and Ingvild. Actually Helwig was among the top five on our baby names list for my daughter irl. And both my mother and my son carry names with the "Ing" syllable.

10. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

[​IMG]

I stole it from this guy. The Human Warrior Guildmaster in Freeport from Everquest.

Always thought it was a cool name.

11. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

Istyrl is the name of my Dark Elf back to the time I was playing D&D, chaotic neutral with Evil tendancies, Miroa, came just as a normal complement, never thought about it, it was just ...obvious. The Miroa are a complete family. Been playing for some years Istyrl, but also Grey Mouser (Souricier Gris in French), which was my favourite rogue char back in UO. No real rogue build in SOTA , Souricier waiting to resurect sometimes when we will have multiple account to test the subterfuge tree ;)

12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It's my name, because Richard said we are supposed to be ourselves.
    The knight part was strictly cash-for-honours.

13. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Nice to meet another dark elf in this realm.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Apparently my name, at least according to google, has no defined meaning. I did invent it from my brain but thought that there was nothing new under the sun. Hopefully I have gleaned a new name for the ages.

15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Non
    Uniform
    Memory
    Access

It's a cpu-memory architecture that optimizes memory access for computer systems specially for those with two or more CPUs. This became necessary once CPU processing speeds outstripped the memory access speeds of memory chips.

The last name of my avatar (Vorlanos) is a play on a term used by Lois Bujold (Vor) in her award winning scifi series - the Vorkosigan saga.

16. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

My name is old Gaelic roughly meaning "playful wild seal". Fitting as I do love playing in the water :)

17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Started back with Siera Online, Sean is my middle name and my son's name. Silverfoot was just my attempt back then on some kind of elvish/fantasy name.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Been using the name Shimizu for yeaaars, started in a MUD way back when that had an asian setting. Means pure water / spring water in Japanese, and the first character was an undine/water nymph thing. Since then its stuck with me across many games.

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ronan (the Accuser) is also a Marvel supervillain popularized by Guardians of the Galaxy :)

[​IMG]

20. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I'ma call you Twinkle Toes. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.