A character is the perfect example of why noone wants to play PvP in SotA...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by twofoldsilence, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I see your point and disagree with the cloak and dagger pm thing, that shows no class. Here is what I envision as a "Zerg" One guild (Lets say a pk guild) is causing chaos to the "Flagged" characters causing much hate and discontent amongst them. Those victims take their plea to a couple of other guilds who at some point in the future can be at "War" with the Pk guild. Some scripted or non-scrypted trash talking ensues with war as the outcome until it ends with a temporary truce or just boredom to be continued at a future "Zerg".

We had our share of "bad guy" guilds in UO Chessie (COV, Wraiths) who were actually great people with a particular type of play, some where rpers as well. We started up stories on the boards to pick a fight, Scheduled the fight and went at it usually every week. I hope the fix the PVP with no looting just a flat 10k price to be collected by whomever killed you or you collect if you won. No 10k in bank, cant flag. Simple and no drama.

R/Boris/El Pirata

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I went to visit Vox in Owls this weekend to do a trade.

I walked in Owls and Vox was at the entrance fighting a PvP flagged player (I forgot his name).

I quickly noticed Vox was not flagged.

Turns out, they were just having a good time dueling. I joined in and dueled the guy several times (was a great death mage).

We did a good 10 duels, didn't loot corpse and then I left.

There is honor out there.

3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Which is why I'm hoping we'll have something in place to help police other's who like to misbehave. A bounty system comes to mind :)

Numa and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I completly agree with your last point.
    I think where im seeing a lot of people constantly point fingers at * the failures of the pvpers for noy making sota pvp better* .. im holding to * make the mechanics better *.

My main point is simply that pvp players are already struggling to find ANY action. And the people thinking its anything other then bad PVP mechanics.. have never played or looked at an actual pvp game.
    In most pvp games.. 1 or 2 bad apples... isnt a valid excuse for * im not pvping anymore *. Most games have good enough mechanics that that issue is never a deciding factor.
    In sota it seems to be the main focuse of complaint in pvp.

All in all. Make pvp better overall, and 1 or 2 assholes( who youll ALWAYS HAVE IN A PVP GAME ) wont be enough to ruin it for you. Or be the * deciding factor !* to sit out. Lol

Kara Brae likes this.
  5. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

That just says a whole lot about you doesn't it.
    One of the reasons pre-trammel UO was nice was, not that it was catering for moronic griefers, but rather that if you wanted to be one, it came at a cost.
    All I hear here is someone wanting to grief with none of the repercusions of normal society if you run around killing people in random.

I get why an all out pvp would be fun, but all I hear is "full loot plz".
    No real dynamics has been put forward here, no balancing ideas and no real risk to the high level player, unless he/she faces an equally skilled oponent.
    Ganking new players is not really a fun gameplay for anyone other than people thinking that newbies should just wise up and avoid getting griefed. Apart from that it will severely affect the amount of people trying the game and getting hooked.
    Relying on the player base to police these sort of things is a nice idea, but inherently flawed, there needs to be more game mechanics in place to actually allow people to be arseholes.

And yes a bouty system could be nice, but let's be honest it's not really a "risk", it's just a money sink.

I would like to see a system not unlike UO, where you'd be "innocent" untill caught doing a crime - then you'd be criminal and fair game for everyone - without them flagging criminal for killing or stealing from you.
    But even this system relies on an active amount of players, otherwise this is also a void punishment for crime, unless going to town suddenly becomes dangerous with guards and such.
    POTs perhaps could opt for not hiring guards and thus allowing for "criminals" to have a place to live and trade.

- ack. I have had too little coffee and this turned into a rant. Sorry -

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

7. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

hah, didn't notice the age of OP, just saw the last post... I do need that coffee I guess
    *snip*

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Oh that wasn't aimed at you.

Stundorn likes this.
  9. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

All I needed to read was 4 words into the post and encounter the word "carebears" which counters anything you have to say.

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

After following this thread for six pages, I have to say I'd be very surprised if a significant number of those roleplaying coldblooded, sadistic rez killers actually have a roleplaying bio of their character worth reading.

Who wants to have a hundred copycat rez killers in the game? No one - except for a tiny few.

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If more PvP people would do such wise and friendly comments it would be more easy to stay away from PvP.
    Please do not attack me i was a Darkfall Roleplayer :D

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

It's not that he isn't right. We really have a lot of that badword people here.
    That's fine. We can coexist in EvE and we should be able to coexist here.
    The propblem aren't the people (well at least not all of them, but don't get me started about the vocal minority) but the non existing pvp system.

Fister Magee and MrBlight like this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If gear would be less worth and - ah you know what my issues with PVP are. I really would like, but i still have 2 or 3 things what make PvP unattractive for me, but i like to see the planned change for the PvP Scene Cap. I still stay away from Fire and Death for some reasons, not only RP, therefore i have less Resistance to it, bt a lot of players are exactly using this, also and especially in PvP, i just dont like to have to made a cherrypick build for PvP.
    No discussion worth - i am fine with it, no need to PvP for me, maybe one day, but i really doubt, have not the time, patience and willing to min max a Char for PVP.

Numa and Earl Atogrim von Draken like this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

For some reason sorcery & necromancy wards work well for me in 4-5 skull areas. The fact that most artifacts have hefty penalties against their opposing tree also reinforces my decision not to branch out to all trees simply to get resistances.

I also recommend going partially into tbe Chaos tree for two very useful skills - Chaotic Step & Torpid Torment.

PvP is of course a different matter altogether.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Numa
    I actually leveling searing ray and take sun as a new tree into my build, i also know chaos has these 2 very strong skills, especially Torpid Torment seems to be a must have in PvP, of cause because also melees use focus. I dont know if chaotic step is better than blink, but i have no proof or experience with that. Problem for me are Obsidian Chips. Since persistance i have collected less than 500 by the way, i am somewhat allergic if i have to grind something.
    For this i would need to farm OC's and the best place to do this is where?
    You know it and i think there i am that type of player what was mentioned above :p

Oh and i never ever lootet an artifact i just see a lot of people on my FL farming the Grunvald Barrens Dragon 24/7 atm - well i think its annoying, destroying economy more and again, make artifacts not rare or special, because everybody has them, maybe except me, because i even dont have enough gold to buy one :p lazy panda i am :D ( ik now they are there to loot yellow and blue bags for recipes etc...)

I stay away from several trees to save spend XP - actually i'm just loosing around 12k, thats ok, it will be some more when i have some more Skills in the 80ies. I am not min maxing my char, i build what is fun to play, both roleplay wise and gamemechanics wise.
    I thinked over to use fire arrow to DoT my enemys or get Earth Arrow again as a second attack, because Air is expensive and seem to make less damage actually. I use CL or MS as AoE or i replace the AoE Slots with BU if i only fight undead, unfortunately is no more an AoE.

Actually just playing around with skills and possible builds and just leveling Stat skills and other innates to 80 - this will take a while.
    I really like my Mage , but he is far from beeing competetive or effective, but to me other things are more important.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Violation Guild used to be about this, are they still? Have not heard anything for a long time.

Agree with the point, but I would actually go right back after the dragon because decay is less each time.

Spoon and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

I'm stating there does need to be more risk vs reward. As in a criminal system with murder counts but at the same time the reward being higher than getting a rusty dagger. Right now I see it as a gold sink just to pvp which equals basically time farming pve for more gold.

No I'm not asking for full loot I don't think the mechanics support that or the amount of blue player base.

I do strongly think that a higher reward is needed to draw the pvp crowd or it's going to filled with people spamming emotes and /hugs. If sota wants a mass population both sides of the game needs to be filled.

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Emotes anf hugs are important.
    It sounds like it's worth less if you write it like this.
    I would be glad if pvp would be more balanced, interesting, easier to create a competetive toon, had more variance and counters etc...
    I do not believe this will happen.
    Maybe more balanced, but because it will never be ffa sandbox PvP (because then it mustn't be consensual) i think all serious pvpers wont have that much interest in it.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Plans on this have already been revealed and stickied by the dev team.

20. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Avatar

Just seems like a entire player base type the game could be getting by making it more hardcore. I mean there already a offline mode, you have to literally turn on pvp, there is a limited number of zones you are auto flagged in (which people are complaining about already). On top of that the loot system can be cluttered by junk loot to minimize losing valued items. (that is a huge amount of the game catered to the non-pvp players and casuals) Seems there is alot of work here to make anything worth while to invest time into the PVP side of things.

That being said, that is a HUGE player base that SotA will be missing out on that play for high risk/reward, make a game for role players and /huggers but make the game rewarding for the more hardcore people that literally played UO and games alike for PVP just for those reason.

"Level balanced PVP scenes (all players are set to same level and max skills caped) (R45)"
    This is going to turn out bad if your trying to reach PVPrs... Let me explain. So this basically means people that haven't actually played the game to invest time in their characters can just jump into a PVP scene and be exactly same stats/skills as you??? thats basically a arena similar to call of duty. That is not what gamers that want a "hardcore" mode want, people like to build a character and be competitive with their creation. This is 100% designed for the casuals to log in and have the "i win" feeling without any work or effort. I strongly disagree with this concept. This seems like a easy way to say we made PVP let me focus on other things instead of making viable PVP options in every bracket.

If SotA is going to become a game designed around casual gameplay im telling you right now your going to miss a whole group of PVP players, they will see right through that in seconds. I was under the impression SotA is trying to create a unique concept.... with the option of hardcore PVP.

The game needs PVP in all brackets of leveling and then forced PVP zones at higher end (at a minimum) with high risk rewards, dragon kills, loot, resources, goals to take. People can still roleplay together and gather up and go on a "quest for the holy pixel" emote and do whatever roleplayers do. No offense.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.