A character is the perfect example of why noone wants to play PvP in SotA...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by twofoldsilence, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

But that bonus exp while I am questing!

MrBlight and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The bonus XP that is now given (10%) isn't worth flagging for. The risks of being PvP far outweigh that kind of bonus, the 20% kind of worked.

3devious and Balec Fares deCani like this.
  3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

It used to be worth it when there weren't so many high level players running around with multiple GM level skills :(

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Most of the PvPers in this game don't even attack players (they are too nice).........hardly see many PvPers about........finding one that attacks and rez kills is rare.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The Background Storys of New Britannia and my Character "force" me to explore and research Ruins and Shardfalls :D
    Open PvP, at best with full loot, ask the desired pvpers who have already left ist the only "meaningfull".
    Now i sound accusing and somewhat rude. It's fun to those players to "Dominate" and "rule". And they dont want to dominate and rule Algorithms and Ki's they want to rule other people.
    Their Rules, the rule of Survival of the fittest. Who is willing to accept that can have fun. Problem is i you mix it up with cooperative players who like to Master the Dungeon Masters Creations, trying to match those attitudes and approach to the game, trying to balance this you end up in threads like this.
    There is nothing thst forces you, all is consensual, but in the end there are two communities and maybe a few in between.
    But there is just one chance to be competetive in pvp in this game atm.
    You have to approach to the game as a hardcore powergamer or at least a min maxer with hopefully generous time.
    If you are somehow lazy, and as often stated, most time indirectly, but very clearly, shopping, dancing, lovepanda'ing then you are no serious pvper. You can achieve that in 3 Month (tired to search all the posts) if you want.
    Read the comments, i mean the significant ones.
    Learn to...
    Adapt to...
    Dont complain, just do it
    "Work" hard...

Do you hear it?

Two completely different approach to the game.

You pointed it out very good:
    "If you say, you play a role, like a thief, like a murder (this is, what you are, if you kill not in self-defense ...) then, yes you're right."
    Unfortunately there are no consequences and most pvpers dont care about your fun, they care about their effort, they live in another world, the world of war and pain. Survive or die.
    Fight!
    You know thst famous sentence?
    Attack is the best defense!

It's their rule, mostly

I think that is not true, if it were the world would be in constant war.
    Maybe it is.
    Some always are "attacking".
    Another saying is:
    "Who fight can loose.
    Who doesnt fight has already lost."

But from what I know, experienced and what i believe:
    "The one for whom the physical struggle, the struggle, has become unavoidable, has already lost a fight."
    Morhei Ueshiba

Edit: PvP is fun, can be fun with friends and with a good know of who you are fighting. No Intentions.

But unfortunately a lot of pvpers have Intentions. The Intention to dominate and rule others not caring about their experience and fun.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

LoL, you arent serious :D

Not worth, i mostly play FM because it's not worth the XP to share the scenes.
    Mostly immersion breaking to see others Farming Mobs :p.

7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, may be the bottom line could read "... why I don't want to play PVP in SotA - furthermore ..."
    Sure, one player can't speak for all others, also he spoke out the trouble of a high amount of (new) gamers ;)

There are different meanings of "fun". And laughing at others is one of a special kind.
    I remember of people in school using to laugh at weaker persons, threaten by them. Same thing at the army ...
    It was a (assumed) might they got from. The same negative might they mostly received at home or elsewhere.
    But that's another story ... of real life. We are talking about game(!) life only.

Allowed is - what the game(system) allows to the player.

I just remember an important entry in the kama sutra, often neglected:
    " ... as the things are mentioned and written inside this book doesn't mean someone shall make use of them ..."

It's all in our responsibility - it's our decision, leading to our karma, our personal game of life.
    As it is said: "No harm without benefit" And if it is just this one of what we don't do on our next path ...

So @Lord British, @DarkStarr, it is on you, what kind of law and consequences you prefer in your virtue virtual realm.
    We are all looking forward awaiting what kind of love, courage and truth you will imply for us ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Seven Truths for Saturday...

#1 Flagging PVP = opting into all of that, the good, the bad, the ugly.
    #2 Temp flagging PVP to ambush someone or help a friend = opting into all of that, the good, the bad, the ugly.
    #3 Temp flagging by going into a PVP zone and therefore single instance Multiplayer = opting into all of that, the good, the bad, the ugly.

#4 Being unhappy about the results, consequences, or your treatment while "opting into all that" = your right.
    #5 Pointing out when a system is not functioning as designed or intended by the Developers = your right.
    #6 Questioning a systems design or the intention of the Developers regarding said system = your right.

#7 Simply moaning about (a) the results, consequences, or your treatment while "opting into all that" or (b) Portalarium's PVP system when it is working exactly as designed and intended = unclassy and probably is playing right into the hands of whomever answered your "opt into all that" request and killed you several times.

Stay classy Novia, stay classy!

V/R Brickbat

2112Starman, Vox Aquila and Ristra like this.
  9. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Click-ity, click, click bait. They are giving us Truth all the time. And that simple truth is the reality of the situation = the world is a wicked and dangerous place, and those who inhabit it are likewise wicked and dangerous.

V/R Brickbat

3devious and E n v y like this.
  10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Please.
    We've been asking them to elaborate in ANY form on their PVP plan, Virtue System, Guild Wars, Long Term PVP plans. Etc..etc..etc..

Honestly if they go out of their way to answer THIS thread of all PVP question - related threads.. im actually gonna be pissed off.

Theres a PVP plan?! And they are willing to share?! Dear god go answer some of the threads that have been asking for MONTHS for some little HINT of what your doing.

Back on topic?
    Exactly how i feel. I said before, i woulda killed him over and over out of principle, and honestly, confusion as to why he keeps running back to me.

E n v y likes this.
  11. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

I've read this thread over the past few days, and can understand the different perspectives.

Here's mine:
    You just can't make assumptions about PvP, in any game, with regard to people playing "a certain way".
    If the experience you went through is really going to bother you (and it probably would me too)-- Don't flag.
    I won't be flagging, so I will be able to play the game the way that I want to.
    Im not saying it's right or wrong -- just the way it is with PvP.

I hope you can move on and continue to enjoy the game!

Boris Mondragon and Kara Brae like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

To me, this sounded like a "Stupid Noob, you deserve to die" attitude. Your post criticized the OP for his bad decisions, but I think that killing him in such circumstances "out of principle"would be a bad decision because it is this kind of behavior that gives PVPers a bad name and discourages many people from engaging in PVP.

Why shouldn't even someone who is roleplaying a murderer stop to ask himself why another player is behaving in a suicidal fashion? Maybe the victim isn't aware of the avoidance options open to him or maybe as a roleplayer himself he wants to play without the immersion-breaking actions of re-logging.

The proven end result of "inconsiderate" behavior (the OP's words) is the steady depletion of the PVP population. How can that be a good thing for PVPers?

EDIT: The reason I responded to your post and not to other posts condoning PK behavior is twofold:
    1. I had only read through the first of 5 pages of comments, so I hadn't seen all the other posts
    2. I don't think you are a real PK player. In my experience real PKers are not open to any kind of discussion on the matter because ruining other people's gaming experience is what they purposefully do as a matter of principle.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea, maybe . You know if it FORCED you into PvP.

Read the OP's posts. He decided to flag. He knew what this entitiled. He chose to continously run towards something in owls head, and he died. The he died again, then again. Then he messaged the pvper.. And died again, and again.
    My point here, is * Im a noob* excuse only goes so far. A *noob* shouldn't have run around PVP flagged. And common SENSE says you dont continously run into your death.

I go back to my original example. If i run into the dragon and it kills me. Then i do the same thing 7-8 x, If i go on the forums and then blame the dragon? I highly doubt people would be shouting for a change to dragons attacking people on sight.

This was poor judgment from the OP. And while i agree it is DISTASTEFUL of the PVPer, it was VERY much avoidable.

And honstly? Anyone who Flags for PVP then decides to get upset that someone killed them, shouldnt have flagged for PVP in the first place.

PVP is supposed to be competitive. Thats the whole point.
    Youll get very little sympathy from me for someone who decided to flag, then blame the other flagged person. Especially in a game with mode switching, an avoidable ransom system, and other things that already make the system bad.

I agree Spawn killing is distasteful. But this isnt even what this is. I agree that its kinda shitty on the other players side, but even then if i was in owls head flagged, ( the most busy town) Im there specifically to fight other players. I would hae killed him 2-3 timex before wondering wtf, why is he still coming back near me? Then ( And this is just speculation ) We assume OP mesaged this player nicely, and not just bitching at him (which in my experiance is usually what those PMS entail). Then i would have (depending on the pms) either ignored him.. Or messaged him back telling him to change modes.
    Well the PK 'er ignored him. So we instantly assume the PK'er (we say PKER, but im seeing a normal PVP flagged person) was an *******. When reallly he flagged to fight people. OP had options. End of story.

Dont blame the players working with crappy mechanics, in a game that has bad PVP. Some are assholes yes, but hardly to the extend you can justfy making a thread targeting them ( this thread originally nammed the player) Like they are doing something wrong.

Lot of assumptions of this player being an *******, when honestly if i was flagged, i very likely would have done the same thing.

And the *OP could have been a noob* Argument is pretty weak IMO, as flagging is something you do intentionally.
    Yes the PVP mechanics are bad, but that wasnt the point of this thread.

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thank you for replying to my post in such detail.

I think the dragon analogy falls short because its behavior is mandated by programming and the dragon has no option not to attack. A player does have this option. It is a completely different situation. And saying that "PVP is supposed to be competitive" is not a good argument in my opinion when we're talking about killing a helpless victim over and over.

However, I understand what you're saying and I wouldn't think twice about adopting your opinion as my own if it weren't for the consequences of excessive PKing: the next time the PKer sees the OP in Owl's Head he will not have the opportunity to kill him even once, because the intended victim won't be flagged. And that unflagged player won't be available any more to other PVPers to engage with in competitive PVP activities.

I respect your standpoint, however, and hope that the PVP mechanics in the game will be improved enough to attract more PVPers regardless of how some PVPers behave.

15. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well said, I completely agree. Honestly this is the one thing that continuously blows my mind about the over-arching PvP attitude with this game. A large portion of the pro-PvP base does not seem to realize (or care) that encouraging/defending things like res-killing (which is griefing, no matter how you spin it) or belittling newbie (or less skilled) PvPers is exactly what drives the larger portion of the playerbase away from PvP.

As a result, the PvP playerbase gets smaller with every incident. And for the disenfranchised players who no longer want to wade into the PvP waters, they have one less thing to keep them interested in SotA. Especially now, in Early Access, when there is so little of the actual game ready for primetime. So, very likely, that directly translates into a smaller long term playerbase for SotA.

It doesn't take a genius to go down the rabbit hole and draw the inevitable conclusion... and yet, even in this thread, the negative attitude prevails.

Sometimes, it feels like the hardcore PvPers don't really care if the game is successful or not, as long as their "suck it up or go home" mechanics are kept in place.

Of course, I do realize that not all PvPers have this attitude. But as the earlier responses in this thread prove, overall the negative environment is alive and well.

I hope SotA can survive it.

16. Curt

Curt Avatar

Should always be at least two instances of a scene and When you is killed in PvP simply shift the victim to the different scene
    The killer will have less skilled pvp:ers shifted away from him (so he gets relative more challenge from them left)
    The killed that likely is less skilled gets easier difficulty.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

But then you are removing a players ability to strike back if they choose to do so.

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@curt; Another solution is that when you are killed in PVP you rez as unflagged and have to wait 5 minutes before you can reflag again. That gives ample time to either port/recall if you wish to elude the rez pkers or at least get out of the zone you were in when the unfortunate death occurred.

@E n v y, I like your attitude about pking. We need people and guilds with that attitude that play bad guys as it will make future guild wars have a bit more flavor. This will no doubt lead to zergs agains pk guilds and actually add some excitement to the end game.

R/Boris/El Pirata

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Oh it does......just sadly not in game.

The zergs come from the cloak and dagger private messages accusing the "bad" guilds and guild leaders of everything under the sun. Part of me feels sorry for the accusers........the other part of me finds the whole thing absolutely hilarious.

If only they would bring their hatred to me in game......sport that PvP flag to come and get me.........my life would be so much more fun than it already is.

20. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Haha, i can´t wait to start doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.