A few words about PVP...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pavlitto, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Knight online was a mmo and it did have an insane grind to it as well. Gear and levels were not as big as player skill. Being able to cut off your animations of spells and attacks to attack faster while keeping all your other buffs and skills going was pretty intense, if you were a rouge you needed really fast fingers to be able to keep everything going at max speed.
    CC was very minimal, fights were fights of people slugging it out. Lotro was the opposite, too much cc. It was never made to be a pvp game, so when they switched the cc skills were WAY too op for pvp.

I just dont know why the pvp in knight online was so active.

Boris Mondragon and Lesni like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Is it possible that once you have a certain amount of pvpers, that itself entices others to come along as they want to see what all these other people are doing?

3. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Seems pretty simple. In other games, the combat is actually entertaining.

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Other then some dsync issues, I do find the combat here entertaining. I did think of something with knight online that MIGHT be a reason. All the non war pvp was done in one zone. If it was war day, the first part was its own instance, then the side that won got to invade the lands or the losers.

Boris Mondragon and Lesni like this.
  5. Pavlitto

Pavlitto Avatar

That's an interesting point. But these players should be involved in PVP. The first players have to fight for something. And of course in PVP are going to compete with other players. If there is no competitive part in the online game, what is the point of playing? Yes, the game has many interesting aspects, but I want the competitive part. I play not so long, but interested in PVP of a began immediately. In our guilds even PVE players ask about when will Guild war. They want to stand up for the Guild's honor.

6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

“Watches the ping pong ball go back and forth shaking his head”

@Mac2, @Antrax Artek ; Gentlemen let’s not fight nor bicker. Did we not have a good time at the Battle of New Heaven? Let’s foster these kind of battles ourselves and watch all the other PvPrs flock to us.

I have been playing for almost three years and my two most memorable moments where the Battle of Dragomir on 3 December 2017 and the Battle of New Heaven in January 2019.

How about you two using your influence with Portalarium to have them expedite the “Parties within parties option” and create our own large scale wars. If some griefer shows up he is dead meat.

Like in the movie “Field of Dreams”. Build the stadium and the PvP folks will come.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

7. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

We have Flagged PVP Pots, Obsidian Trials, PVP shard zones, Open World PVP.

More venues than most games for PVP.

It is hardly a lack of stadium.

Let's take a look at some of our "entertaining combat" compared to what you find in other games.

1. Charging of skills

What do other games do with skill charge mechanics? Hold down a button for 5 seconds, and then unleash a big damage spell, heal or whatever right?

Sounds fun.

Is that what happens in this game? No.

Here we put the emphasis on the more exciting element which is focus cost reduction and make that big hit a wildly varying % chance.

Essentially removing the most fun and satisfying part of charging the skill.

2. Manually stacking a skill.

The same thing as the above, except we have the option to tediously micromanage glyphs on a combat bar if people prefer.

3. Buffs

Rather than a quick buff or two and you're off, like they do in other games, we have decided to bog down combat with a veritable encyclopedia of buffs.

Instead of just mainly focusing on the action, our players are required to take a course in tedious background buff micromanagement.

4. Percentages playing a large factor combat.

Instead of a player's skill like in other games, dice rolls determine some of the most important aspects of combat.

No matter how well you perform or execute an action, in the end it's up to a dice roll.

5. Not even remotely balanced skills plus a dozen other important combat issues

All of this adds up to a vastly inferior combat experience compared to what is offered in other games.

In spite of how many people here claim to enjoy it, most people are going to come here with some previous experience in other games and find our combat system a clunky piece of junk.

All the rewards, sieges and other ideas suggested in this thread are not going to fix that.

They need to fix the general combat experience first and then work on expanding PVP.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  8. SecretSanta

SecretSanta Avatar

We need heraldry patterns for quivers.

9. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

If you are interested in some friendly pvp, our guild does Fight Club in Caelestis Canton every Thursday. Anyone is welcome, and they don't have to join the guild to be there. We also do not pressure people to join the guild. We just want to make pvp fun in the game without the drama and I hate to say it but without the super high level pvpers demolishing everyone. It's one-one-one dueling, we do take into account people's levels and adjust because it's about learning and development. Our rule is to respect each other, and always giving loot back. If you're interested please let myself, John Gault, Cambria Stormlin, Lightiger Hernandez, or Corte Grimward know!

10. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

Does anyone remember way back in like R12 when we had everyone PvPing? I remember William Serenite showing up in Shardfall along with all kinds of people you typically only find at dance parties these days.

Back then we had 50+ people fighting on a map, entire non pvp guilds banding together and fighting. Everyone had a blast. OoV, Serenite, 4b, and carebears would band together and fight the bad guys.

I remember there being a ton of PvP when I first started playing. There were guilds of “evil” players back then like the infamous Heavy Smoker, Jacob Canaan, PK Ghost, Blake Blackstone, Swamp Thing, Jobe, and there were loads more!

The good news is, history always repeats itself.

What is different between then and now:

You could level up to 50-60 in a day, back then players didn’t usually level above 80 due to wipes every 90 days. Sometimes players like Themo Lock would hit 100+ and we would test level differences in combat. If you could hit 60 in a day and start pvping, a pvper would often stick around back then. It was so much fun leveling up and fighting ASAP. Now people have grinded or exploited xp to create a massive barrier to entry for end game pvp in similar time commitments to UO.

Upper Tears is a HUGE solution to this as players can hit 100+ in ways similar to 7x GMing in UO but without botting. As lame and grindy as UT is, UT has helped new players into the game compete with illegitimately earned xp from groups that compose a lot of the current highest levels in the game who exploited bugs by standing on control points for days with pvp flag bonuses in private instances.

There need to be 10 more zones just like UT and I agree with Shadow People that these zones should have pvp and attenuation incentives. There should be a 200%+ xp attenuation for PvP flagged zones. It would create a king of the hill event that is persistent. All of us could always find a group to fight at these points if this were created.

Also a non attenuated zone or less attenuated zone will help bridge the gap between players like Mac who gained a lot of xp before attenuation caps. Being the same level as Mac shouldn’t take longer than 6 months of grinding. If a new player logs on and hears he needs to spend 2,000 grinding hours getting 2 billion xp then he will immediately quit. That’s not what we were sold by the dev team and it won’t get new blood in the game that will have fun pvping.

The dev team used to be more involved in Pvp events. Lord British used to show up at my Sky Arena for tournaments. Atos would host events in Shardfall. If the dev team streams pvp it draws in more new players and rouses the curiousity of non pvpers. It shouldn’t just be List. Lord British and Darkstarr should show up and actually fight like they used to. They even did it at launch!

Lastly, there need to be villains. Lately I’ve taken on the roll of villain because the game is less fun without one. I miss Jacob Canaan killing me afk. I miss Kinkara stealing my pack while I don’t have oracle up. I miss Heavy Smoker scamming me on new quests where I don’t know the reward. I miss Chaos Witch and Blake Blackstone PKing newbies until they begged me to come police. The game has become a digital utopia or more of a digital retirement home. It’s kind of like the movie idiocracy, there are no natural predators so everyone becomes fat and lazy and boring. It was painful but you have to miss the digital Wild West feeling of UO. Getting looted, scammed, etc was so thrilling in the most horrible way. It gave all of your grinding more value and you had to protect it. There was an article about this somewhere, I can’t find it though. It talked about how the PK and NPK were the yin and yang, each needed each other. I want to see NPK guilds hiring guilds to guard them as they xp on non attenuation capped zones. I want to see farmers hiring mercenaries to stand guard as they are harvesting rare materials.

We need more villains so heroes can emerge. I challenge others to become villains too.

11. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Do they still have it where if someone is attuned to the magic that your using you won't do much damage?

12. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I like this direction.

Antrax Artek likes this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

They could also add that more time you're pvp flagged in multiplayer more chance you have to get pvp releated drops, to discourage gaming of the flagging system.

14. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I'm not a big fan of PVP gear or gear in general having a large influence on characters in the first place, but my biggest fear when folks start asking for PVP-specific gear is that we'll end up having to go sit in PVP-specific mini-games like Blood Bay or Obsidian Trials to earn them, separating ourselves from the rest of the game. If we can avoid the separation, I can be happy with pvp-specific items.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Dhanas and Antrax Artek like this.
  15. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Yea, exactly, in the way i mentioned ppl will keep playing the game like it is but with the chance to drop pvp-specific stuff while pvp flagged in mp.

PS: (Also the party flagging system that we already have fits perfectly in this case)

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British Any thought?

Dhanas and CrazyPhil like this.
  16. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

And for the folks who demand full loot, let's do away with Ransom and make all PVP-specific items full-lootable!!

Will you wear your full PVP suit out in public? Be careful... ;)

Wolves vs. Wolves. :)

parallelogram, kaeshiva and Dhanas like this.
  17. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

MOAR PvP PLEASE

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  18. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

That is a problem with PvP-Specific items. That will end up in Trammel and Felucca in the long run.

Better add some drops/gather-ables to the PvP zones that needed by everyone. Such items should also be available on NPC Vendors. So everyone can get them, but who gather them in PvP scenes gets them cheaper and can bring them to the market. This is a player driven economy. The NPC vendors setting the upper price, so players tent to sell such items/resources cheaper. Both sides win. And gives the PvP-Scenes a meaning.
    Fuel (coal, wax, creosote, salt) is one example. Good amount of empty Jars and flasks may found within the ruins and can be picked up. This is of course not the fast and big "money" and more likely PvE within PvP scenes. But why not PvE'ing there?

I think the PvE world and the PvP world need to be connected not separated.

Add:
    PvP Encounters on overland map would be also nice. When a one PvP flagged runs into another PvP flagged one they should send to a encounter scene (without the mobs or with?) and can fight there. Except /afk is used. To not abuse /afk, may ppl have to stand still for a few seconds (same time as the "idle-buff" needs to be active) before /afk is functional. So that no-one can flee from the hunter by using /afk.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Boris Mondragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.