Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorn

scorn Avatar

I'm sorry but had to speak its not combat if its Random which skills you may have up. And it is random.

look we all invested in the game some of us more than another , i spent a good lump sum and would be a smack to my face in the game forced me to use this combat system.

I'm asking the dev if you will have the option to use one or the other

If you end up giving us both options we all be happy, it should not be that hard.

i for one will not be playing it if its based in decks, count my loses i guess !

Joviex and Ara like this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It is just in its genesis. The devs are working out the kinks and balances. I for one am having a blast with this combat system so far. It is not the decades old slice and dice but it is fun, and it does take skill and intelligence to use. There are so many combinations to the skills it makes my head spin, but I feel like once one gets used to it, it will be so much fun because of all the freedom you have with the different combinations.

Time Lord, Ned888 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You mean if you are highly specialized, have no armour, thus have no slugs that you must right-click through?

Now imagine you are much higher level. You going to keep the same 4 skills forever? No situational stuff?

You think you are just going to faceroll the 123456 keys each time?

How is THAT more fun that a WoW / LotRO setup where I at least can pick what skill to use when?

Ara likes this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I set myself up with a bunch of different skills and found it fine, it worked better with a couple of locked skills and the rest random. I also had a more specialized setup (roots/knockbacks and fireballs) full no locked skills worked just fine. overall I think current reception is mostly positive from those who have used it.

You just need to find the right balance between locked skills and how many different skills you are using, you certainly don't need locked skills if you only have a specialized deck, more variety and you'll want to use 1+. Which is why they are in the game.

Time Lord and Duke NRaas like this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Nope. Different situations need different setups/decks etc. No where near as basic as wow especially being able to change my skills out at will depending on what I'm fighting. Learning all of your decks will be part of the challenge and fun of the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Ara

Ara Avatar

Not having access to all skills all the time make this combat system one of the more basic ones if not the most basic one i ever seen.

Having to look at a hot bar when the fight is going on make this combat system one of the weaker ones i ever seen. Having focus on the combat going on is basics in any PvP combat system worth the name.

I wont even try to learn all these different deck combinations cause i disqualify this combat system before i even tried it out.

Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

In most games you don't have access to all skills all the time due to cooldowns etc. I always have to look at my hotbars in every game. The games where you can pull out hundreds of skills...well I have to point at some and have buttons on others. It's just a different layout in this game.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

That's a shame, you are doing yourself a disservice by not having an open mind and trying new things. There is truth to the saying of: "Don't knock it till you try it".

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Wrong, it is more or less mana not random skills or spells arriving on my hot bar, a huge difference. The game tell me what i should use next not my mana or stamina consumption.

Good combat system make you add all skills or spells on your keyboard cause that way you can have your PvP focus on what is happening on the area of combat and see what your opponent is doing and act after that not after what skill or spell the game allows you to do.

Acting out of what a random hot bar tells me to do is not and will never be a good combat system.

Joviex likes this.
  10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

You have cool downs here too. When you use a skill it is on cooldown. Even if it pops up again, you cant immediately use it.

It is really amazing how people think this is any different than a normal system except now the skills pop up at random intervals.

Tried, multiple days now. Found wanting. And you know that from the DEV+ posts.

Bramagola and Ara like this.
  11. Ara

Ara Avatar

I know, don't worry. I have more PvP experience then any developer of this team and know what is good and what is not. This is not a good combat system and since they most likely will try to tweak it a bit but never remove it i see no reason to why i should try to help them making a from bottom up bad combat system a bit better, a system i will never take part in myself.

12. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Many skills have 10 minute cooldowns or more in games. I can't access these skills at all times either...so you can use that argument against this system anyway.

In good combat systems you have the ability to create builds that fit your situation. This system allows for that. I have never needed every spell in my spellbook in a game. I customize my character for types of battles I need to do and can change that customization when needed in this system. That's pretty awesome.

Random based on spells you already chose...that's not so much random as it is varying.

Time Lord, Mishri and Ned888 like this.
  13. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes i can cause i compare it with games that have combat systems that dont have +10 minutes cool downs which in itself is horrible.

UO Renaissance had a combat flow never seen afterwards, it had timing instead of button mashing and you had access to all skill all the time and 100% focus on the combat going on.

That is a game from 2001 and it is light years ahead of this random card game.

Why invent the wheel when it is already invented.

Having access to all skills all the time give you the freedom to not need any "builds". You have all builds on your keyboard all the time. That in itself make all your build discussion irrelevant.

You don't need to customize anything if you have complete and full access to all skills all the time.

It also open up for a way more skill based PvP game with loads of more variables. It will also give you just about full access to the combat area.

I must say i don't understand how anyone can't understand this?

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I disagree.

I have access to every skill in the game and can switch decks during combat right? So what skill do I not have access to? the skill that is not up on my skillbar? If that's the case I've done something wrong with my deck building. If I have 5 or more skills on my bar that do not work for the battle then something is wrong. It takes planning to do combat in this game...Fun stuff!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Within the context of *this* particular game, the "randomness" of the draw system is an offset for regular cooldowns.

Take a "locked" slot version of "Fireball" (or one used in the fixed slot version) : There is 13-14 second cooldown applied between uses of that slot.

However, if you random draw two fireball glyphs in the draw system, you can use them back-to-back without delay. There is no real cooldown beyond the casting phase, which is applied in both systems equally anyways. :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Pardon my ignorance here but how is that different or better?

If the entire slot itself is on cooldown, and the system randomly drops skills into slots, your chances of NOT being able to use something you need (situationally) is now increased given it can pop up in a slot on cooldown and be useless for 10+ seconds.

How does that make more sense, or provide anything better, than a skill itself being locked/cooldown?

Now I am exactly pigeon holed into a singular tactic of "slot" play, having to pepper my deck with multitudes of copies to offset the random occurrences that will lock said skills up.

That is going to greatly diminish combinations. I know there are other "mechanisms" we have yet to see, I think the verdict on the system as a whole needs to really see all of those ideas come online and let us be able to interact with them prior to any real "tweaking".

Currently, the core is not fun to me. I take great relish in being able to do amazing combinations (a.k.a. my skillset).

If any part of that is seemingly random it makes no sense as you are trading skill for luck. While I agree chance favors the prepared mind, it is still russian roulette.

IF I am lucky enough to get my combo chain it also has the chance to fail because of a locked slot previously used.

Again, how does that favor skill?

Bramagola, scorn and Ara like this.
  17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I gather you have not actually played with the current release ?

As I mentioned in my post, random draw glyphs do *not* have a cooldown applied to them.

As well, if the random draw is not to your liking, you can immediately dismiss it, and have the system draw a brand new glyph. Though in my experience, with a properly built deck I have almost never had to use that functionality. :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I have, for three days (as long as it has been available)

Right, random draw no, SLOT YES. How is that better?

Bramagola and Ara like this.
  19. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

And you have been seeing a cooldown applied to the random draw slots in your combat bar ?

That has not been the case in my experience with the system. Perhaps you are encountering a bug ?

Are you using a "part-locked, part-random" deck ? That may be the difference, as I only use the locked slots for glyphs that I rarely use (such as Resurrection), so they would not appear in my random slots.

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

Come on, you don't have access to all skills anytime with this random card combat system. Skills and spells come up randomly from the deck you prepared. It is random, period. Why even go down this maze that wont ever get you out of it. I can continue proving you wrong forever. If a game decide for me what skill or spell i should use at any given time then it is random no matter how much i prepared a deck.

Having access to ALL skills mean i can use anyone of them when i want, i don't have to wait for the game to decide for me when i can use it, a huge difference and i am pretty sure you see the difference.

Why you continue to not see this difference is anybodies guess.

What you call planning i call a combat system that is mainly frustrating and require very little player skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.