Arrows, arrows, and more arrows

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Haz, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I only had regular arrows which is what I wanted. Without special arrows, archery is pretty much useless. I've said it before, All skills/glyphs should be available when using regular arrows and do something BUT if you have the associated arrow type in your backpack then that arrow type will be used first and do more damage, plus effect. Disabling all the other skills/glyphs because you only have regular arrows will not work.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I couldn't agree more, Ravenclaw :D Having played an archer/mage these past two releases, I am sorely tempted to return to my previous swordsman/mage build for R13 :(

Jynx and Time Lord like this.
  3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

while nothing to write home about, lets not underestimate an archer ability to interupt spells, its a tactic i've used earlier in this release with pretty good effectiveness.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: Our slime appears to be a time traveler that can travel back in time!
    The German WWII MG-42 shot 300-350 rounds per minute... (a great machine gun)... 350 arrows! OMG :confused: I kind of would like a giant blob to attack a town or something :D
    So, since our slime has the ability to travel back in time, maybe our slime operates in the opposite way as jelly donuts! where the more it eats the fatter it gets, because I'm sure getting more fat off'em o_O...

However, I would like to see some of our creatures be tougher to kill by using only one weapon.
    After all... "it's a blob" o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, I was going to ask about this. Are arrows really the most effective weapon against slime? Does any arrow type kill it? Blades split them into smaller slime. Oh wait, Level 5 Death Ray kills them in one shot, no splitting.

:)

6. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Gosh, I wish I had known that :eek: (I have death ray, death field, and death touch in my deck o_O) Could have saved a fortune on arrows (and not died so often) :(

Numa, Lord Baldrith, smack and 2 others like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I have Slime Magic.. Slime Fist, Slime Arrow, Slimeball, Wall of Slime, Slime Shield, Ring of Slime, Rain of Slime, Slime Field, Chain Slime, Enslime Weapon, Slime Ray, Summon Slime. The primary reagent is slime.

TroubleMagnet and Time Lord like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

I'll double check tonight at the swamp but that's what I was doing against the slime in the Challenge Dungeon last release.

You need a Slime Bucket.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

The seal won't let go of it

smack and Time Lord like this.
  10. Haz

Haz Avatar

I just re-read the thread so I'm up to date on anything someone might have said.

With the reading done, here's a few things we might want to get someone (a dev maybe) to think about.

1) As an archer, we are using (usually) light armor, and which gives us a few different acrobatic moves we can make. What if....when you get face to face with a baddie that has charged you, you used one of the acrobatic moves to get out of the way, and at the same time you automatically slashed with the arrow you were preparing to draw, and slashed as you rolled by the baddie, maybe doing some damage to his achilles or a tendon so he now had limited movement for a moment or two, maybe long enough for an archer to step away, and fire off a root spell, or a disabling shot? Can't make this too easy, maybe have it as a skill high on the light armor tree?
    2) Arrows, wow, what to do, maybe A) allow us to carry X amount of each with no weight penalties (X = some ungodly high number) B) remove them from the game and make it part of the skill tree that when we obtain the Blinding Shot, we also gain the arrows for it C) maybeeeeee, give me a magic spell somewhere that I can restock arrows by magically creating 100, 200, 250 of them, or pulling them out of a storage place (bank or chest in my home?) no matter where I am? Whatever they do it's gonna have to be something along one of those lines cause we are gonna be severally limited in our usage when we run out of ammo, or D) it's gonna have to be something new and inventive!
    3) By the time we have our tree max'ed out, we should be doing a butt load of damage, presently we are not. What else, other than our skill points in the tree increases our damage as an archer? Dex rating, it has in past games... intell rating, it hasn't in the past... Str rating, increases it more than a bit, but less than substantially... specialized armor, Pre A, just beginning to see armor changes... weapon alterations, too soon to tell, pre A... Complimentary skills, nothing that I can think of in game. What else?
    4) Then there are the times when we do not have a LOS shot....I may end up eating my words here but, oh well, what the hell.......if ya can't see it, ya can't shoot it. Bring on the hiding and the stealth, and we should be able to fire an arrow at something, run around the corner so we are out of sight and immediately hide.

I'm still not thrilled about thinking of splitting up my points to incorp axes, but I guess I have to try something after I see the changes in R13, who knows, maybe it won't be necessary?

Haz

Syylk and Time Lord like this.
  11. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I think it would make a lot more sense if arrows were simply a single item. Like, you'd equip a quiver of arrows, that would give you however many you want until the item wears out. Counting ammo just never makes sense to me in an MMO where you kill hundreds and thousands of enemies. It isn't a survival game where each arrow matters, you kill ridiculous numbers of things with ridiculous numbers of arrows.

12. Kuvu

Kuvu Avatar

EQ had an ability called endless quiver, where you would place whatever arrow it was that you wanted to use in the appropriate slot and magically you would produce that arrow every time you shot. They could do something like that, have a skill similar to that that once you got it, whatever arrow you were using it only took 1 in the slot. I played a ranger for a long time in eq, before that and it was a pain to have to make arrow after arrow, there was an item that summoned 20 arrows at a time but they were junky arrows pretty much.

13. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

I think the solution should keep crafters involved so I would favor magic quivers that can supply arrows of quality related to their construction quality and they eventually need recharge and/or repair. You could also have different types of quivers for different types of arrows.

14. Haz

Haz Avatar

Wow, so, I slowly worked my way up using an archer. Somewhere along the lines, I changed out to an armor wearing axer and easily got to 40 and did it relatively quickly. Respec'ed again, back to archer. After about 2 days of play, I spec'ed back to the axer. I'm truly devastated, hurt and more disappointed than anything, realizing that I still cannot play an archer unless it's no more than a few on me. One, two and sometimes three baddies I can take care of if they are not too powerful. Run around like a chicken with my head cut off. Toss a Root spell on one critter, fire away at a second, disable shot the third to slow him down, back to the second, fire and run.....you get the picture. Still takes a long LONG time. If I have a lich and a couple of skellies, well, it's a toss up as to the outcome....and it'll cost me dozens and dozens and dozens of arrows before I die or they die. Damn I hope there's running room, lol.

Here's to hoping there's an archer among the Port Crew and they've had the time to test it out themselves. As much as I would like this fixed yesterday, I would be happy if I know that it'll be fixed before the game is out of beta.

PORT......I know you folks are busy, and I love what you're doing, don't take this as a dig, it's not meant that way.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Archers (and mages) performance is far below heavy armored warriors... But i tend to think warriors are over what should be ideal, not the other way. I prefer a game where fighting three enemies at once may be affordable if player is skilled, but many enemies at once without any kind of support should be deadly.

That said, i share with your concerns. Been playing only as archer for this two releases and even I'm fine having to run a bit while i'm fighting (i don't expect to be an overkilling turret either!) i think current system needs tweaking. I loved the change done to Aimed shot, though.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Every skill set should have its strength and weaknesses.

Maybe the goal is to have archers be powerful against one single opponent. So maybe focus all your fire on one at a time and keep moving.

Honestly I hope that's how archery works. Lethal against one target at a time. Spreading out your attacks against multiple targets should be a weak tactic.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

17. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That would be cool, but is not how it works atm. Plate armored fighters kills mobs faster than archers, and even can kill a few (or a lot!) at the same time. Nonetheless, the skill changes seems to point archery to that way, and is a way i like.

18. Haz

Haz Avatar

Yeap, the biggest problem is that at the moment (even though we have gotten better) we are still not a true threat to one target at a time. Presently, we beat a baddie not with arrows, but by wearing them down!

Well, I'm sure it will get better...camo should be coming in this or the next release. That'll be fun to experiment with. I still hold my hopes that archers will get a bit more power, alot less arrows, and a way to hide and sneak around.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

we have fletching stations? i hope so, please tell me it won't be a woodworking station.. i build furniture, not arrows.

OK,

from an adventuring perspective, i like the idea of having the arrows be skills instead of items. I've played games where you need to carry your arrows with you, and it just flat out sucks. especially when the strikes that land don't do much more damage than regular hits with a sword or dagger. - at least with the sword or dagger you have practically unlimited damage you can do on the mob until it disintegrates. - with the bow, the bow disintegrates, and the arrows themselves have to be in supply..but you don't do much more damage. NOT COOL.

however.

from a crafting perspective, i like the idea that you need to Fletch the arrows to allow an archer to do their thing. it keeps the economy going, and that is important for the longevity of a game.

maybe when creating the bow, you imbue it with certain skill "keys" kind of like runes you can carve into it.. the more of those 'runes' carved into it, the less base damage each type can do with that specific bow. - and let those 'runes' burn out. - once the runes are burned out, the bow only does base damage, regardless of the skill you triggered during combat, plus a MILD utility based on what it is designed for (stagger, slow, etc) - and the better materials the 'runes' are made of, and the bows themselves are made of, the longer the effects last. - make the runes replacable with a field service kit, but only at half capacity.. if replaced at a station, you get full capacity if the crafters skill is high enough.

this would keep crafters in business, keep them engaged to keep their skills up, and keep adventurers from just abandoning archery altogether with a failed system that is doubling the determent, while reducing the effectiveness.

20. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I don't mind needing arrows, but it bugs me requiring an specific kind of arrow for each ranged skill. Ammunition may be needed as a requirement, but why 5? it doesn't add anything to the game.

Removing them completely is unrealistic and excessive, definitely it's something i don't want. We also need to take in consideration that archers attacks their enemies from the distance, while a fighter needs to reach close combat. At the moment that doesn't work because archers can't engage an interesting distance (same issue as mages, targeting range is quite poor) and polearm warriors can hit you from the neighboring scene, but in a balanced system arrows can be justified, even if average damage from archers and fighters is more or less the same.

If removed, i prefer if they're just assumed as carried, more than granted by some magical device or imbued in some other way; that's a nice magical property, and i like enchanted bows as much as anybody, but archery is a mundane discipline and it should be able to be performed without the need of magic. And talking about pure archers... some combos unrelated to magic would be nice.

Currently, arrow heads are crafted by blacksmiths, and arrows are assembled with carpentry. Sorry for bringing bad news :p

Albus, Haz and Keira OFaolain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.