1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Breast Cancer Charity Feedback

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by dallas, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Heck yeah!

Yay!

Yippee!

Whoohoo!

Mata, Leelu, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

@dallas What about one of those sweet purple llamas???? Pleasies????

Mata, Aimend, Lace and 4 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Very cool, Dallas.

I really like that you guys do this kind of thing. I like all the items too.

Mata, Leelu, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  4. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Sources indicate that Dallas' pick ran only 8.05% expenses for non-charitable purposes in 2014. So that's over 91% going for the charitable portion. (Really good ratio!)

They do not suffer the PR fiascos of other cancer foundations of recent past, either.

As the current US Administration is attempting to 'Moonshot' research on curing cancer, the more support the better!

(My RL day is spent supporting oncologists and cancer patients in a variety of capacities. I am by far not an expert on any specific variety, and any support to fight this disease in all its variations, comfort patients, families, and caregivers, we humbly thank you.)

5. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

And that is why i went to you, because you're awesome good sir.

Mata, Leelu, Lady Adnor and 2 others like this.
  6. dallas

dallas Co-Founder Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We experimented with supporting both US and UK autism organizations and it doubled the workload for processing those payments. Until we have more administrative support on our team, we lean toward only associating one organization with a particular charity drive. Having said that, we still lean toward organizations that have an international reach, regardless of where they are based. That's what was appealing about the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Their mission statement on the Charity Navigator site says:

"The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF), founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, works to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime by providing critical funding for innovative clinical and translational research at leading medical centers worldwide, and increasing public awareness about good breast health. Since its inception, the Foundation has raised over $575 million to support research at medical institutions across the globe conducting the most advanced and promising breast cancer research that will help lead to prevention and a cure."

Nonetheless, we are open to reviewing non-US based Breast Cancer Research charities if anyone has any suggestions. If anyone knows of a reputable charity evaluation site that covers worldwide charities, that would be useful as well.

dallas

7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Thank you ever so much for this opportunity Dallas. This charity is also a statement of the versatility and kindness that can be generated by Gamer's and the Designers of Games bound together by the best of humankind. I m so looking forward to my purchase. We can override division by our unity in most things that really matter.

Vixon, Katrina Bekers, Mata and 5 others like this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

9. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The following is a link to the Researchers that the BCRF supports and you can sort by Location, including International support

http://www.bcrfcure.org/researchers

10. Abercrombie_McCloud

Abercrombie_McCloud Avatar

11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Two thumbs up @dallas - totally approve! I can see these items flying off the shelf, and a worthy cause will benefit! This team is awesome!

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I really appreciate the work you went into selecting a charity. This is near and dear to my heart. My father and father in law both were claimed by cancer. My mother is currently battling it and many people close to me have battled cancer.

I think this is a fine choice, but I want to toss out another possibility: Stand Up 2 Cancer.

They are unique in that they are run by two other existing non-profits. So all the overhead is already covered by those non-profits (primarily the Entertainment Industry Foundation). So 100% of money donated to Stand Up 2 Cancer goes fully to cancer research. I've never search another cancer charity like it. Because Stand Up 2 Cancer is run by other non-profits, they don't have their own Charity Navigator score, but EIF has a score of 91.93 - http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3670

That is lower than the 95.89 for Breast Cancer Research Foundation, but the 91.93 score for EIF reflects that EIF only has 77.1% of their funds going to charity with 22.9% going to fundraising costs and overhead. But Stand Up 2 Cancer itself has 100% going to charity, which makes up for the difference.

Stand Up 2 Cancer also has the best approach of any cancer charity that I've seen. They assemble super-teams of researchers to work on specific cancers and projects (like pancreatic cancer or a specific form of lung cancer for people with a KRAS gene mutation). That research is then shared openly when the team is done with each project.

Breast Cancer research already gets a somewhat disproportionate amount of visibility and research. Stand Up 2 Cancer attempts to tackle all kinds of cancer.

http://www.kristencincotta.com/2012/09/spotlight-on-stand-up-2-cancer/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. dallas

Hey @enderandrew Thanks for sharing! We also plan to support general cancer research with an upcoming Make a Difference campaign, so will reserve this info for that drive!

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I see that the Make a Difference page has been updated with these items. Thank you! I also wanted to note that the dyes are not available separately from the package, which again I want to thank you for; these should remain rare, as I think they will be out of place unless they are used sparingly. This could easily have turned into a recurring cash item, but would have caused no end to trouble.

Great work, guys! My order is in!

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ugh! Seconds later they get added. @dallas, you guys are killing me! lol

16. dallas

Actually, the Countach Pink Dyes were just added to the Make a Difference Store as a separate 12-pack item. We didn't feel that it would represent a problem, as we already have 3 hues of pink in the game.

Mata, Aimend, Duke Raas and 4 others like this.
  17. dallas

lol

Mata, Duke Raas, Sara Dreygon and 2 others like this.
  18. dallas

I spent the day researching Breast Cancer charities, and then preparing the Countach items for the Make a Difference Store. I'm just now getting to start on prepping Starr's Release 27 Instruction for the web post and email! It's turning into a looong night (not just me though, half the team is still here getting Release 27 ready for launch tomorrow morning!).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Katrina Bekers, Mata, Aimend and 9 others like this.
  19. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Just ordered my Picture!

Shooter already gave me the Waxes :)

20. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Avatar

Beer is in the fridge :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.