Comet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rufus D`Asperdi, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's officially/unofficially after U9, I believe the consensus was.

Brugas likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Alabastia, Midras, Kas, The Epitaph. Are these ruins all in the same general time period ? That's what I want to know. The cataclysm wiped the old world of Ultima III away right ? so are these ruins related to them ? We are 1000 Brittanian years in the future right ?

3. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Thanks for the clarification. I get confused at times rethinking this.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

When you can reshape the world with Obsidian magic, what's the difference between dreams and reality ;)

So did you ever end up playing the Underworlds?

5. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Is it just me, or is the tail wagging slightly?

funny, i was thinking about vmware-ing underworld a couple of weeks ago, and ended up playing arx fatalis instead :) There is a remake of underworld in the making, i haven't checked up on it in a while.

THE HENDOMAN

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Um, no. :) SotA takes place after Ultima IX. We can see this from several references in-game. The Obsidian Forge for example is a remnant of a blackrock pillar from Ultima IX. Certain characters in the game are also descendants of the original companions, all of which were still alive in Ultima IX. So we can consider SotA a continuation of the Ultima timeline rather than an alternate timeline.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

RG has known about this thing for a long time. At the risk of being called a foil cap kind of guy, he even took a trip to observe it close up. Now after all these years people are starting to notice the object themselves. Hopefully RG has studied the object enough to predict future events and will be able to save Sosaria.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I am unfamiliar with Alabastia? However, the other ruins mentions are really quite recent historically speaking as they are all post-cataclysm, which wiped out the old Britannia (Ultima IX).

Unfortunately, when it comes to Ultima maps consistency is not something they all have in common. It's true that Novia is based on the Ultima III map which in turn comes from Ultima I, but it was not used in IV-IX which is normally considered the old Britannia (was also renamed with Ultima IV).

The disappearance of the 3/4 of the Sosaria map (pre-Ultima IV) was explained away by the release of powerful magics when Mondain (the original bad guy) was killed and his Gem of Immortality was destroyed. The Ultima III map (Lands of Lord British in Ultima I) was all that was left after that. (Ultima II took place on Earth). After IV, two out of the 4 original land masses reappeared.. the island of Ambrosia (though MUCH smaller) and Serpent Isle (formally Lands of Danger and Despair).

The Britannia map was never part of the original and it's location in relation to Serpent Isle is never shown.

The SotA map in future episodes would appear to be an amalgamation of the Ultima IX map with Novia being swapped in for the island of Buccaneer's Den. Or at least this is eluded to by the Benefactor symbol as well as the globes/moondials.

The ruins in question are closer in location of Ultima I towns rather than III I think.. would have to look. Midras, the site of Lord British's supposed tomb is near the original location of Lord British's castle.. which I am relatively certain was done on purpose.

It is very possible that the ruins were built upon older ruins not named.

We are not quite 1000 years ahead yet I don't think. As a reference, in Ultima VII a complete astronomical alignment occurred every 800 years and the only one to occur in Ultima was during Ultima VII. The Cataclysm occurred during the last alignment which is when the SotA calendar begins. So we're definitely beyond 1000 now from Ultima VII, but IX takes place a couple hundred years after VII. We do not however, have a specific post Ultima IX timeframe until the Cataclysm. We can only say it's less than maybe 600 years at most?

hmmm ok I suppose that adds up to a little more than 1000. :)

Jaesun and Brugas like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh yes of course. :) I had um.. acquired a copy when they came out and played them then. *shifty eyes* But unlike the other games I only played them once.

10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

May I ask you guys that know the lore, what will be the 'new continent' in any future expansion, and how would it arise? Would it simply appear as if we had discovered it once we have sea travel or perhaps via an invasion from whoever inhabits that continent

P. S. Worryingly Starr doesn't mention the new continent expansion in his recent company changes bulletin, but maybe that was beyond Chapter 2.

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Jaesun likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

alabastia is oracle colossus

Jaesun and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not sure what the official line would be but since they're already on the global map I assume they are already 'out there', populated and active. We simply just don't have the in-game means to get there.

I don't really see any need for any kind of lore mechanism to explain our lack of ability to travel to any of those places.. in fact, I will likely be disappointed if they try to explain it somehow.. like they've tried to include lore to explain other things unnecessarily.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The 'lore' I've heard on this subject is that the other continents are there, and always have been there, but contact with them was lost during the Cataclysm and not yet reestablished.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Now that you mention it I recall hearing that as well.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Has the year the obsidian were defeated ever been mentioned? I recall seeing somewhere that present day is not long after their defeat. But all their stuff is ruined, and has the feeling of places long abandoned.

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Just making my own prediction here, purely out of speculation based on what the Dev's have excitedly talked about in recent livestreams...

This comet is clearly bringing us Unicorns (or unearthing them in some way)!! :D

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  18. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Known about what? What are you referencing here? The comet?

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So, the Comet is really a Space Unicorn?

:D

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No, I speculate the year would've been in the 200s on the NB calendar. The whole backstory for the game post-cataclysm occurs between year 0 and 400.. and a LOT had to have happened during that time.. including but not limited to society rebuilding to the point where war lords were fighting for control.. the Obsidians not only needed to be founded but have enough time to grow and raise / create a sizable army.. The Oracle wasn't built until after that war.. then came the fomorian wars etc.. All in a all a very compact history I think. With the Obsidians being somewhere in the middle.

The in-game calendar was started at year 400.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.