Community Feedback Request for New Tier Titles -- (Dev)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danceswithstaplers

danceswithstaplers Avatar

Royal sounds good to me for the lower levels. For the higher levels, how about "Blood" to indicate that the person is of the royal family? Like "Blood Knight" or "Blood Lord".

2. Atmosfear

Atmosfear Avatar

I prefer "Lord Protector" to "Lord of the Manor." Any and all title changes should be optional. KS pledgers should be able to toggle whichever title they desire (original tier title, updated, or lower tier titles).

Thanks Dev team!!!

3. mueloegnaro

mueloegnaro Avatar

For the Knight 'new backers'.... Squire
    I believe Squire is quite fitting. ^_^

4. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

For the higher tiers, I'd go with something like this:

Tier.........................KS Campaign............................New Backer
    Knight.....................Knight/Dame Commander...........Knight/Dame
    Lord........................Lord/Lady Commander...............Lord/Lady
    Baron......................Grand Baron/Baroness...............Baron/Baroness
    Duke.......................Grand Duke/Duchess.................Duke/Duchess
    Lord of the Manor......Prince/Princess..........................Regent

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

Anyway to leave the titles as is and use a different method to give KS backers some love? I listed my ideas above, these title modifications just don't seem right to me.

I think we are missing something. Look at the length of some of the titles suggested, they are gonna take up half the screen.

Knight to squire? I wouldn't pledge $750 for a squire title.

Again, I would either allow KS backers to have their Title and Name a different color than late backers (color could very tier to tier or just show up as one color, GOLD , where late backers' names are in white

OR

As in this image, instead of a shield in front of the name/title, use a symbol that corresponds with the pledge tier. I"m sure Stephen could come up with some nice icons. (Open book for Curator, Paint Brushes for Artisan, Crown for Lord of the Manor, Sword/Shield for Knight,, etc)

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/2010/278/reviews/960613_20101006_screen010.jpg

6. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

I would rather see post kickstarter people getting new titles than changing old ones. After all kickstarter people made their pledges based on what rewards you offered, and now after the campaign is over you decide to change those rewards.

If you really want to change the old titles, I think Aartemis has the most "neutral" suggestion:
    High Knight
    High Lord
    High Baron
    High Duke

Or each tier may have it's own adjective, and kickstarter people have an option to show or hide it.

7. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Aos Si : Another good point.

But I'd rather have my Title and Name in Gold vs a late backer's in White. You will see that Gold from a mile away and know , I PLEDGED BEFORE YOU !! , lol.

Going through all this trouble to change titles etc, heck just change the color. Simple.

8. Maximusas

Maximusas Avatar

I have no problem adding Royal as an optional extra in front of the lower titles. However, the higher ones are based on real titles and think they will lose some of their value if something is added for the sake of it. As a Knight and kickstarter backer, I like the idea of the simplicity of Knight. I would like the option to toggle Sir in game as the prefix to my name as this is traditionally associated with the title of knight and can see that many backers to this level are already using this.

One idea I like that I have seen mentioned is for those at Citizen or above, is to have the option of their title followed by the region or village/town/city that their house resides in. This should update if you move your house to another location. E.g. Sir Maximusas, Knight of Britanny.

Another idea I liked was to perhaps have Orders in addition to your title that are created based on your pledge level and kickstarter or post kickstarter... E.g. Order of the Phoenix

9. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I agree with Aos Si: the KS titles should be left alone. I do wonder if the Knight/Lord/Baron/Duke/Lord of the Manor are really unique for KS people and will not be obtainable afterwards (would be a slap in the face if it would of course).

The suggested 'Sir'-title should be a reward for an epic quest chain imho. It should be obtainable by anyone after some hard work.

Royal as a separate prefix should nice to me to the lower tiles. The higher ones, if really needed, should get the 'Elder' prefix then imho. 'High', as suggested by Aartemis, doesn't sound that nice imho. Elder has something more epicness to it.

I don't like different color titles/names or icons.

DavenRock likes this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

If Lord British is the sovereign, he should elevate himself to King. Otherwise, all of the "Royal" titles don't make sense. If there isn't a king, then there should be no princes, and the word royal doesn't apply to anything. If Lord British is going to remain a Lord, then it could make sense that there are other Lords of equal rank, if RG wishes to make it that way. But that eliminates the logical use of titles higher than Lord up through King. I think RG can rightly claim to be alone at the top of the rank structure, or co-ruling with his Lady.

Adding Crown to a title means you're next in line for the king's throne, which I don't think is appropriate for the players.

I don't like the Templar/Crusader suggestion, because it refers to Earth, rather than New Britannia.

Also, I feel at least two orders of Knights should be created for KS and new backers. There could also be a third order if there are quests that can result in knighthood.

Just a stab in the dark here, but perhaps Order of the Serpent (closest to the sovereign), Order of the Dragon (not related to sovereign, but still sounds bad-ass), and Knight Bachelor (no order) as a quest reward.

Thus rendered in-game as:
    Sir Frank, KCS (Knight Commander Order of the Serpent is too long)
    Sir Frank, KCD (Knight Commander Order of the Dragon)
    Sir Frank, (Knight Bachelor usually doesn't get post-nominals, but sometimes Kt is used)

Another advantage of Knight Bachelor for quests is that upon being knighted, "Joe Shmoe, Royal Explorer" would become "Sir Joe Shmoe, Royal Explorer", thus keeping his kickstarter title.

Sir Frank, KCS would become "Sir Frank, KCS, Kt" upon completing the same quest.

If you ever see coffee labeled Highlander Grogg, please know in advance you'll be up at 4am thinking about what names make sense.

11. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

It all looks good to me but as a Game of Thrones fan I would love to see the title Hand of the King somehow worked into the game.

12. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

Using the British approach for the Knight would get complicated as the ranks are mostly within Orders of Chivalry, which are noted by initials after then name, not a change in title.

'Royal Knight' as a title does exist, but it is reserved for members of the Royal family who are Knights so that would be inappropriate.

'Knight or Dame Commander' is a valid title though and would seem to work well in this context.

The Lord / Baron /Duke ranks are a bit mixed up already as the Baron is actually the lowest rank.

In descending order they should be Duke, Marquess, Earl, Viscount, and Baron, not sure if that prompts any thoughts?

Lord itself is not actually a rank, but a generic reference to members of the peerage. A Baron is most likely to use the title 'Lord' rather than 'Baron'.

13. mccpz

mccpz Avatar

I agree that Archduke is better than the slightly-clumsy "Lord of the Manor"..."Lord of the Manor" isn't motivating me to upgrade to it. Lord and Duke sound much better (if you're vain like me)! But Archduke...now that might motivate me to totally fry my credit card some more (hey they're made to be paid off!!! :) ).

14. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

I disagree with any proper royal titles such as prince/princess, as those should be reserved for LB's discretion, I think the new ranks should be a peg lower than the old ranks, for example a Vassal Knight instead of a Knight, as Vassal Knights had sworn loyalty to the realm, and in turn were offered the protection of the crown for their service... fits with the royal theme :)

K/S
    Vassal Knight/Dame
    Law Lord/Lady
    Free Baron/Free Baroness
    Duke/Duchess
    ArchDuke/Custom title

New
    Knight
    Lay Lord/Lady
    Baron/Baroness
    Vice Duke/Duchess
    High Duke/Duchess,Lord of the Manor/Lady of the Manor

I'm a bit clueless for the last rank, but I must admit, archduke or high duke do sound cool, and for that whack of cash perhaps they should get a custom title?

Darg.

15. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

All title after KS should include "Slacker". So the new tiers should be:

"Slacker Lord"
    "Slacker Baron"

Etc.

After all, where were these people during the beginning? Slackers! :)

16. gerardofamber

gerardofamber Avatar

Does this count for just the KS folks or does it include the people who signed up during the ?grace period? the week after KS ended?

17. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

Not so sure about using 'Vassal Knight' and just 'Knight'

If going with the 'Vassal Knight' route then the lesser title should be 'Bachelor Knight' as they are both Knights, so the title on its own does not adequately separate them.

This is why we should not be using 'Lord' as a rank either, since it covers a range of actual titles, but is not a rank title itself.

18. Ickthmus

Ickthmus Avatar

My two cents.
    Similar to some of the above I used wiki as a reference. For each new title I tried to use a rank just below kickstarter one. Lord/Lady was the tough one since it didn't fit the model as well as the others.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_and_noble_ranks

Kickstarter -> New
    Knight -> Esquire
    Lord/Lady -> Noble
    Baron/Baroness -> Baronet/Baronetess
    Duke/Duchess -> Elector/Electress
    Grand Duke -> Arch Duke

Note: I changed Lord of the Manor to Grand Duke.

19. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

You could go with military ranks AND civilian ranks for the kickstarter and just civilian ranks for post kickstarter

For example

LOTM\Grand Marshal
    Duke\Marshal
    High Baron\Grand General
    Baron\General
    Lord\Lord Commander
    Knight\Knight Captain
    Royal Citizen\ Lieutenant
    and you could keep going down if you want

Where as those post kickstarter only get the current titles like Lord

20. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

Squire or Esquire doesn't really work, as in relation to a Knight it refers to a (typically) teenage boy and has no female equivalent, not an appealing title to aspire to.

The more general term 'Esquire' does not really relate to the Knight at all and oddly is actually a suitable honorific for a Lord of the Manor. It is not in itself really a rank at all but something used to refer to various different ranks, much like 'Lord'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.