Community Feedback Request for New Tier Titles -- (Dev)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FireLotus, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Come to think of it you could actually go the other way with mine and leave the civilian titles to the kickstarter and go military only for non kickstarter, whichever way you like

2. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Maybe I misread this, but it sounds like all of the KS tiers are going to continue to be available, just rebranded. Honestly, I hope most of these tiers are not available any longer. Having all of these tiers still available diminishes the value of and appreciation towards the KS backers.

I understand that you want to continue to attract new backers, but I do not believe keeping these tiers available is the right way. Many KS projects eliminate KS tiers entirely, offering a very limited number of tiers after the close of the KS campaign. This allows late comers to still join in and contribute while showing appreciation towards the KS backers.

Instead of rebranding all of the KS tiers, I would recommend eliminating a significant number of them. Keep just a small handful, or else you are going to marginalize most of the KS backers contributions, making them feel much less important if others can get virtually the same package at a later date.

None of the newly available tiers should have anything as special as the KS tiers (i.e. rent free homes, autographed swag, names in credits, npc creation, waterfront property, unique items, etc).

Maybe I have the wrong view of the KS campaign, but that is my opinion as a KS backer.

DavenRock likes this.
  3. Tinker_Bell

Tinker_Bell Avatar

Immortal Adventurer: -Peril?- Seeker
    Founder: Squatter xD
    Knight: Champion
    Lord: Noble -Man?-
    Baron: Count
    Duke: Aristocrat
    Lord of the Manor: Governor
    With there female counterparts where required. ;D

4. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I like the Royal Artisan title but pledged much higher and was under the impression that all rewards under a tier including titles were to be awarded to the pledges.

I like the Gold lettering Idea. I think this would really set the KS players off as being first.

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Acrylic 300 : Yea, I just think all the different titles is too confusing. Royal this and that, Grand Duke ? What title is above this one?, the late backer title sounds better than my KS one. Why would you want to give yourself headaches over the titles? Just keep it simple.

Keep the titles as is and just use Gold Lettering for KS players.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

In the end, I dont care is they rewrite all the titles. They should consider what makes sense from a world and story perspective. I realize people who wanted houses will get houses, etc. But I'd hate to see a big clash between the RP story and the KS tiers be decided in favor of the KS tiers.

7. knoxiTV

knoxiTV Avatar

How about expanding the titling system in general to support player selected Prefixes, Root words and Suffixes.

And where applicable giving all backers of a given level the same Root Title, whilst giving the Kickstarter backers an additional Suffix or Prefix.

Thereby allowing, ...

"Royal" "Tinkerers" "",
    "" "Knights" "",
    "" "Knights" "of the Realm",
    "" "Lord" "of the Realm",
    "Grandmaster" "Blacksmith" "of the Black Shroud"

... etc to all co-exist, in a simple (albeit potentially janky) system. So again, all backers = Root Title. Kickstarter backers = additional Prefix or Suffix, which they could then choose to use against any of their titles.

This could further be developed to be less janky by associating an int level and string class to title elements which would help define which prefixes, root words and suffixes could be used together.

eg. You can't use the level 5 prefix Grandmaster with your level 1 Blacksmith root title
    eg. You can't use the AlignLawful suffix "of Order" with the AlignChaos prefix "Vagabond"
    eg. You can't use your level 5 prefix Divine with your level 1 Commander root title and level 1 suffix of the Light.
    But you CAN use your level 5 root title Soldier, thereby gaining the title Divine Soldier of the Light.

8. joseph

joseph Avatar

I'm at the explorer tier. I don't really like 'Royal explorer'. Am I exploring royals?

Why not add something that indicates we are to oldest player characters. For instance 'Ancient explorer' sounds a lot better to me.

I agree with a previous posts that the Royal prefix indicates that there should be a king and princess. There should be a lore explanation why we have a certain title, because that gives the title more meaning. I like the suggestion to use 'First', if that fits into the lore (unless that would mean we get into trouble with George R. R. Martin and his 'First men').

9. Lord Torrek

Lord Torrek Avatar

I agree with others here who have suggested the KS titles be left alone. People pledged in the beginning for those titles specifically, in addition to the other items, and it'd be a Bad Move to change the items after they've been purchased. KS backers should have the option of any of the new titles in their tier (or below if they prefer,) but the KS specific titles should be unique to them. The names were well chosen for people getting involved at the game's inception. I think a number of the tiers for new pledges can be consolidated, and if not, are being modified anyway. They should fetch a new title for the people pledging for them. Or perhaps a set of titles the player may choose from to match their style.

That said, a few suggestions (credit and thanks to those who have already come up with some of these....):
    New Pioneer: Wanderer, Pilgrim
    New Adventurer: (Pioneer Title) Traveler, Seeker, Colonist, Settler
    New Immortal Adventurer: Traveler, Seeker, Colonist, Settler
    New Founder: Guide, Scout
    New Royal Artisan: Artisan, Builder
    New Virtual Collector (Royal Archivist): Archivist, Custodian
    New Digital Explorer: Voyager, Pathfinder
    New Explorer: Voyager, Pathfinder
    New Collector (Royal Curator): Curator, Guardian
    New Patron: Overseer, Champion
    New Ancestor: Forerunner, Elder
    New Navigator: Director, Mariner
    New Developer (Tinkerer): Planner, Architect
    New Citizen: Squire, Resident, Civilian
    New Edelmann:
    New Knight Noble, Chief, Master
    New Lord: Governor, Knight Commander
    New Baron: Baronet, Viscount, Lord Commander
    New Duke: Marquess, Earl, High Lord
    New Lord of the Manor: Archduke, Viceroy, Prince

10. G Din

G Din Avatar

This might be an issue because some of those titles might be preferred over the original KS ones.

Ancestor vs Elder... Overtime will that really show much of a difference between who pledged KS and who pledged later?

11. Lord Torrek

Lord Torrek Avatar

@Gunga Din - That's why I specified that KS backers should have the choice of KS or new titles...and FireLotus also said so in the note on the original post. Whichever title the player prefers for their style of role playing, if they've pledged that high, they should have access to. The new titles could be a set that new players or KS backers can choose from, with the KS titles available only to backers.

12. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Lord Torrek : Yes, but then it waters down the value of that original title in my opinion.

Here is the best solution, use your titles as the options but KS backers will have their title (regardless of which one they choose) in "Gold" Lettering. If we must have options on the titles, I"d still prefer a different color hue.

Then there will never be a question of who pledged during KS and who pledged later.

Again, Duke: Marquess, Earl, High Lord : How is anyone gonna tell which was KS backer in the future?

13. Lord Torrek

Lord Torrek Avatar

@Gunga Din - That makes sense to me. Original backers would still stand out, no matter their title, and the titles wouldn't be devalued or changed. Good call.

14. Hakadek

Hakadek Avatar

"How is anyone gonna tell which was KS backer in the future? "

I'm not entirely sure I care all that much :)

It is sort of immersion breaking to to have a bunch of different colored names running around.

As long as the titles respect some sort of social ranking that fits in with game lore, as they did during KS, I don't much care what they are or who knows which is which.

15. G Din

G Din Avatar

@Hakadek : Some care, in all honestly, I don't care if the titles remain the same for KS and later backers. I'm just trying to limit the amount of titles so it doesn't get ridiculous.

The colored named bit wont be an issue , because you can just choose 1 color for all the KS backers and that would be enough. I had previously thought about using varying colors per tier, but your right, that would look stupid too.

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I like the idea of a different color title (like gold) too rather than extra titles however, I still think that they need to reduce the number of post KS tiers to 3-5 at the most.

DavenRock likes this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

different colors wont work if they allow people to adjust the color of text (as they should). I also didn't care for the idea of symbols infront of people's names, I didn't like it in FF14 either.

As far as immersion breaking (guys... that word...) I played (and helped write zones/content) a mud where you couldn't see someone's name, you couldn't do a who and so who was online, it was as close to reality as they could make it, with text. So your description of you standing in the room had to fit all situations (whether sleeping/resting/sitting/on a lake, in a desert, in the jungle).. it was fairly ridicilous and removed a lot of the fun aspects of other muds. It was interesting, but I'll say, the mud wasn't very successful.

I don't see the problem with KS having access to all titles (as firelotus said) and new pledges only the new titles.

Entirely new titles Im okay with, but I like a bit better the suggested additional word in the title.
    (The Knight tier wont make much sense with aknights tower and a knights round table if you aren't called a knight, plus, i think it further devalues the pledge level not being atleast a knight)

Marvin likes this.
  18. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

I'd like to second the idea that post-kickstarter tiers should be less in number and give limited rewards compared to kickstarter. There is a huge difference between pledging few thousands when the game is nothing but a 2D map and 2 locations, and when the game is in late beta.

19. Arma Dragon

Arma Dragon Avatar

I suggest : honorable. Honorable Lord, Honorable Baron, etc.

20. Hew

Hew Avatar

I'm in favor of something along the lines of what @Jatvardur and @Oakenhammer suggested for the higher tiers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.