Craftable Items in the Add-On Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Browncoat Jayson, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

What they are buying is another extra over anyone that buys the game on release.
    These will not be wiped from their accounts, and they will be starting with another asset to sell at game launch.

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If that is the goal, then we need a mechanism to preserve items between builds. Just like pledge rewards in the bank surviving a delete. I'd be fine with this, but its not being sold for real money and is not devaluing those that make it. Paying to remove tedious gameplay is poor design; improve the gameplay!

Logain, Lord Baldrith and mbomber like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Thank you for listening. I can see why some players want this, but it has a serious affect on others.

smack, Lord Baldrith and mbomber like this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, the frequent wipes are a mechanism of the alpha state, and unavoidable for now. It won't be tedious when the game is live and your work persists.. but fighting up the same hill time and again only to have the stone roll back down to the bottom does wear on you after a while.

5. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I agree with the OP. In my opinion having craftable items in the add-on store ruins the value of those crafted items. I remember playing ArcheAge when a very rare resource for crafting.. the thunderstruck tree, was suddenly made available by Trion in the cash shop. . it ruined the value of the thunderstruck tree, and suddenly items that were supposed to be hard to craft, were being crafted and owned by everyone on the server. It was a huge mishap that ruined many players view of Trion and subsequently their view of the game as well. Here is Trion acknowledging their foul up. http://forums.archeagegame.com/show...explanation-reason-for-Rumbling-Archeum-trees We need to move away from anything that is Trion-like.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    4EverLost, Logain, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

But those from the add on shop will never be wiped .
    Sell them in game until Beta.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    This game still needs funding wagram. You have an option, you can make them in game, or you can donate to game development.

Duke Gréagóir and mbomber like this.
  8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Good point lets make everything available from the shop, saves time having to play the game.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Logain, Xandra7, rune_74 and 2 others like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    now that is pretty glass half empty. I can see your concern if this lasts after launch. But for now, there are many reasons for it.

10. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, I dearly hope there will be many MANY more players in the game at launch than would be buying a lute for use during the alpha. Hopefully the purchases of craftable items in the add-on store will represent a small fraction of the total demand for those items in the game.

11. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

My goodness would someone but them in game when they can just buy them from add on store? I guess they will need to make the ones from add on non-sellable account bound. Perhaps make the in game crafted ones look better too.

Dinsoo [MGT] likes this.
  12. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

What this (selling craftable items on the Add-On Store) is doing, is setting a precedent that in-game non-rare items can be sold outside of game for money.

Economical ethics aside (which is the heat point), there's a secondary impact of removing possible player interactions by putting a shortcut to gaining crafted items.

If I buy all my content for cash, then I don't have to cultivate relationships with other players to barter/trade/buy/sell, and further isolate myself.

Granted, some people wish to play solo, and will do so, but for those people, why not just put the same items available from NPC vendors in the SP offline mode? For those playing in SP Online, they'll have access to the same player vendors as multiplayer online, and would be able to spend gold, rather than cash, on the same items, or, craft them altogether, if desired.

The answer is "but...MONEY", to which I say "but...virtue?"

Logain, wagram, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  13. AviarAmidar

AviarAmidar Avatar

Ok, so I was just talking to a buddy about the whole crafting debacle. I have a simple solution that I think makes it viable for both crafters AND Portalarium. I currently think the process on how they are handling this is backwards. I understand they are trying to fund the game, but I think they could make this more viable by making the items on the store very plain and generic. There shouldn't be anything on their store that can be DYED. Lower the prices to make it more appealing, but keep the stone and other items to be a single generic plain color.

THEN, let crafters make items that can be dyed and let the players decide whether they would just like to spend real world money on a generic item, or pay in game money or items for a nicely crafted more unique item that they could also collect the resources for and have a crafter create it for them.

I think this approach gives us the best of both worlds.

Wilfred, Brent Sasz, Kvow and 4 others like this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

They are not going to remove items you have purchased after launch. I'll be surprised if they don't continue selling them, if they sell well. After all, its continuing development funds.

Exactly.

That is true too. Remember the founding virtues of Portalarium?!

Logain likes this.
  15. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Will virtue pay for game development? Sometimes I feel the realities of life are absent from the calculations of a number of posters. In a perfect world they could make the game without pledges and add on stores, we would all have the same amount of time to play and we would all have an equal start in game.

Aldo and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  16. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Virtue will not pay for game development, but I think the value of it far exceeds funding for the game.

monkeyrogue, Xandra7 and smack like this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

To an extent, yes. Many of the backers have only done do to this point because they believe in the development team. Making them lose faith will cause sales to be lost. I'm certainly not buying anything from the Add-On Store at the moment, because I'm here arguing the validity of having those items available there.

18. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

No, but certainly the existing model (pledges, add-on store exclusive content, stretch goal content, make-a-difference charity content) can do a better job of raising money than trying to sell items that you can make *for free in the game* to turn a quick buck.

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Well, I would not say "for free" o_O It would take a lot of time and resources ( i.e., repair kits, crafting tools, arrows, reagents, etc.) to gather those particular resources for crafting . That is the "opportunity cost". (Yes, my background is in economics and accounting ;))

mbomber likes this.
  20. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

This would be great ... at least until everyone has their own crafter and no longer needs to buy from others AKA current UO. But I think that is a discussion for another thread :D

AviarAmidar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.