Craftable Items in the Add-On Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Browncoat Jayson, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like that you're offering reasonable solutions.

monkeyrogue, Logain, mbomber and 2 others like this.
  2. Godra

Godra Avatar

Well, I see both sides to this issue. I like the fact that items on add-on store can be crafted in game. Takes away the Pay To Win issue if its a weapon or armor. However, in this case, that isn't the issue. I feel that making the add-on items a unique color or shape that you can only get with add-on purchase might be ok, but all other versions are only obtained in game by purchasing from crafters and the maker's mark is applied to the item. I also feel that if it is a weapon or armor, that the item on the add-on store has low stats than those that can be crafted. I would like to suggest to keep the number of items that are both add-on purchase and craftable in game to a minimum if possible.

Personally, if I have the ability to craft in game to save a few RL dollars, then I will be crafting it myself or from my neighbor's vendor. I have spent enough on this game and can' see spending much more. I would rather skip these purchases and try to upgrade pledge to Duke.

Ice Queen and mbomber like this.
  3. Godra

Godra Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson
    I like that pet ferret idea. I would have to purchase that!!!! :cool:

monkeyrogue, mbomber and enderandrew like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Yes to pet ferrets!

Though beard of the month is clearly pay to win. :p

monkeyrogue, mbomber and smack like this.
  5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

There is no way that Elite Dangerous can be lumped together with Star Citizen & SotA funding policies.
    ED said what you would get in Kickstarter and created & Launched it, with no fancy items for a certain group of backers, the decals, ship paint jobs are still there for every single player that backed it or buy's into it now, And it's now moving to a big DLC with the Planet Landings.
    Star Citizen at least made all their stretch goals for everyone that backed over the expected game selling price, many cannot afford the Big one's but everything can be earned within the game, may take a lot of playing time but you can get it.
    SotA seems to aim everything at property owners only, which is limited to a very small market, everyone else gets nothing of any true value, and the SALE price enticement and a cut off from the shop do not look enticing to anyone that may be looking to see how it turns out, but then see items being discontinued even before release.

SC & SotA seems to have got themselves embedded into a crowd funding frenzy, and forgot what it is they actually campaigned to give us in Kickstarter, If they just take a step back and concentrate all their efforts on getting the game completed, they may find it will attract in more players at the release.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    monkeyrogue likes this.
  6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Well the piano is still $10 when it should be $5, interesting it's never been corrected

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

It never should have been $5. Dallas corrected that it was a typo.

Razimus likes this.
  8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Ok just saw it changed just now "ON SALE: Marked down from the regular $15 price"

mbomber likes this.
  9. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I see your point, but personally (and most polls i have seen on the SC forums back this) i want a game that is Better than what was initially offered in Kickstarter and the funding allows this. I am also happy to wait here and in star citizen for them to get things just right before they release the game. it is hard to wait patently though - sigh... I saw ED and im happy for folks that enjoy it, but it is not my taste. It may well be the same thing for SOTA and SC to some of the gamers here on the forums, maybe this game is not for them.

10. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

a bit off topic, but i think Duke is a nice pledge level. hope you can get it friend.

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'd kind of have to agree... seems like a shortcut and an alternative to crafting.

The weird part is if the building blocks in the add-on store were marble and not craftable then I'd buy them and not think twice about it.

I prefer the craftable options in game and the add-on versions to be slightly different or prettier but buying these stone blocks isn't much different from buying the components to make them much like buying a set of armor isn't much different than buying all of the ingots to make them.

12. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I agree with you Jayson, when the devs state this is a player driven economy and then turn to selling player created items in the store it just doesn't sit well with me as it feels like this will impact the economy of the game. I can understand Starrs approach to add this under "It is worth noting that we actually added these at the request of players." just as it was for POT's and it seems when ever money is involved the idea is rushed through with little thought as to how this impacts the game, so I just hope the additional funds it brings in are worth it.

13. Drelkag

Drelkag Avatar

Gotta agree with OP. Craftables in the item store doesn't sound good to me.

14. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

Been away from the thread and not sure if this has been suggested. Could the add on store sell "rush orders" that the buyer got right away but created crafting missions in game that had competitive pricing maybe and were divided somehow among the crafters ?? Could the add on store also sell skins that could only be applied to crafted items ? Just some thoughts that popped into my head an i have no idea if it is doable.

Wilfred, monkeyrogue and Flientje like this.
  15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that isn't the problem either. the real problem is wondering how to keep funding going after the game goes live, so we can continue to play it, regardless of how much (if at all) we backed. one method is adding lots of low-priced vanity items of higher visual quality than what is already found in the game, to the store. there are other methods out there, and i think this should be a multi-pronged approach.

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This. Good post.

mbomber likes this.
  17. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Making a game that will sell to a wider group is the only way to continue with the later episodes, you can put all the vanity items you like in a shop if nobody's buying the game it won't support the development.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  18. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I do not follow your logic, funds are now paying for game development, it does not matter if it is add on store, basic game or larger pledge package; it all contributes to development. Naturally the more people we can get playing the more enjoyable our collective gaming experiences will be and the likelihood of new episodes and a successful game increase. Still, i do not seeing this being the next WOW, this will be a niche game i think and wont be to everyone's taste. Small numbers but highly dedicated fans can likely sustain it.

Lord Baldrith and ThurisazSheol like this.
  19. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

There seem to be an awful lot of people who seem to have a problem that there are things (or rather A THING) which are now craftable instead of being exclusive to the online store. It was always my opinion that the cash shop should have been for special items, not general items.

Also a lot of people in various threads keep talking about "not having time" or "paying for time". Well isn't that what those stone block packs are? You're buying time. You're buying freedom from the hassle of having to go out, collect materials, and craft it. Isn't that what you wanted? How about you leave the rest of us the ability to get these things in game too given sufficient effort.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  20. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Precisely. The whole fun is actually going through the motions to acquire the item in-game. Anytime an item just appears in your backpack when you claim it is just circumventing the action of playing the game for me. It's like paying someone to summarise a page in a book for me so I don't have to read it, but still receive the outcome.

monkeyrogue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.